Is oil cooler supposed to be crooked?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mhumphrey, Dec 15, 2009.

1. mhumphrey

mhumphrey BMW 2009 R1200GS

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 GS that I just bought a few weeks ago - new from local dealer. After installing the Touratech Oil Cooler Guard, I noticed that it was slightly slanted and looked a little funny. Looking at the oil cooler, it seems the reason for this is that this is slanted as well. It's also offset to one side.

Is it supposed to be this way? It's a new bike, but I suppose it's possible that the dealer dropped the thing in the showroom and something got bent. I've looked at the cooler itself, and the brackets on each side are different. Picture below.

[​IMG]
  2. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe its just to line up with the crooked headlights on them newer GSs :lol3
  3. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    Headlights aren't crooked. The camera was a little tilted when I took the pic, but if you look at the cooler w.r.t. the plastic bar that goes across the beak, you can see the slant. Also, note that things are off center.

I am asking because in pictures of those oil coolers that I see on various vendor sites, it never looks like this.
  4. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hello, :D

No it should not look like that. Did the dealer install the cooler guard and if so they might have not lined the beak up. Or they might have not bolted the oil cooler in the right place. Bring it back to the dealer so they can fix it right.
    Need any help on instructions with the Oil cooler guard I can help you, I have my own line of GS products.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
  5. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    The oil cooler guard (Touratech) mounts directly to the oil cooler itself, so it is crooked because the oil cooler itself is that way.

So you are saying that the oil cooler should not be crooked like that? If so, what could cause that? It is a brand new bike...:eek1
  6. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about pulling the fender off and finding out why. I don't think it will void the warranty.
    Jim
  7. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    If you mean pulling the side panels and beak off, I did that when I installed the cooler. The left and right bracket that mount the oil cooler are different shapes. If they are bent, then they've been repainted to cover this fact.
  8. mhumphrey

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all who replied with info. The problem was caused when I went to loosen the oil cooler mounts to install the guard. I tried to loosen the nuts rather than the torx screws, and the nuts were actually welded to the oil cooler brackets. Of course, like an idiot, I applied Incredible Hulk force, and bent the brackets and broke the nut welds loose.

I wasn't too keen on paying $319 for a new cooler, so to fix it, I removed the cooler, straightened the brackets, ground the paint off the nuts and surrounding areas of the bracket, applied JB Weld to hold the nuts in place, and then repainted things. The attached photo shows the cooler before and after the repair.

[​IMG]