PDM60 install and frame grounding...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by DDT Rider, Nov 3, 2012.

1. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2008 R1200GSA

I just began the install of this unit today, which is my first ever fuse block install of any kind...

Today, I managed to install the basic unit and replace my can-bus socket on the left side with a Powerlet 15 amp upgrade.

For now, it's sitting where the tools were...I'd love to put it under that tray, but not sure how that will work out with my poor organizational skills...

Next: TPMS receiver and heated gear outlet(s).

The install instructions advise to ground the main unit and accessories to the frame, I ended up going direct to the battery as I could not identify frame screws that looked like spots
    I could be confident in a good ground.

Has anyone used frame grounding points on this bike, and if so, where...

Cheers!
  2. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    No love on this yet, huh?

Well, I installed the TPMS unit yesterday. Removing the tank would have made it easier/cleaner, but I've not done that yet on this bike and am not going to unless absolutely necessary (unlike the 1150 tank, which I had off all the time).

For the ground, I ended up using a bolt that secures one of the seat mounts. I scuffed up the bottom of the nut before reassembly and that circuit is hot now.

The TPMS is up and running...my first time to have such a unit...nice to have that bit of info. This feature is not available OEM here as there is some issue with the frequency the units transmit on...or something like that.

The unit comes on immediately on ignition, I thought a 7-second delay was standard for the PDM60...maybe that was changed when I asked for circuit customization.

All of my circuits also stay on for a few minutes after key off...I can already see this is not the best behavior for the TPMS unit, as it's an attention grabbing light that will stay on when I walk away from the bike. Not desirable in all locations.

Will be great when future versions of this the PDM60 have a mini-USB port for the end user to reprogram the character of each circuit while still in the bike...
  3. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed a PDM60 on my '05 GS a few years back (documented here). I never used frame grounding. I ran all of my accessories to ground back to a dedicated ground bus bar tied to the PDM ground. The bike is small enough to run these easily. I do recommend pulling the tank to make the wiring cleaner. I don't expect your '08 is any harder than my '05 - which is very easy to do.

Good luck....Post pics!!!
  4. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, JS...I did read your thread...surprisingly, not too many out there yet about this unit.

I did buy a wiring unit with the PDM60 that included a dedicated ground, but I'm still thinking where to locate it. In my novice mind, two dedicated grounds would be ideal; one in the rear, and one up near the nose.

I only have one, so at the moment, I'm vacillating over which location.

I did manage to thread my TPMS wire under the tank, though much less efficiently than with tank removal.
  5. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    Well, this unit is installed...so far, TPMS and left side can us socked replaced. Next will be line for heated gear.

I was surprised that the circuit lights on the box stay lit when the bike is off. At first, I thought I had it hooked up wrong...
  6. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    Watch it for a few minutes to check the time delays. Mine has a 2-step time delay before it shuts off fully (almost). My ignition signal comes from my bike (1200GS), which stays live for 90 seconds after key off. After that, the PDM60 has a 180 second delay before it shuts off. I have to watch my bike for nearly 5 minutes before the PDM60 shuts down.

BUT - after that, I still have one circuit (#3 - 5 amp) with the LED staying green. I'll have to check my wiring diagram to figure this one out.....

My battery will drain after a week or so if I don't connect to the tender. I expect these issues are tied together somehow.
  7. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    True, those circuits all power down and change color as they should (except the ones in designated as always on) however, they still stay lit in their respective colors.

I was wondering about the power draw of these little LEDs...I had hoped the draw was negligible...
  8. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Typically, LEDs draw only a few milliamps of current and will not discharge a healthy battery for months.

But, motorcycle batteries usually get a charge say, during the monthly ride or when you connect the battery maintainer, more than offsetting any LED drain.
  9. DDT Rider

Oddometer:
    Just the news I was hoping for ;>
  10. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @DDT and @Smallberries

Can you post some photos? Also - did you tap into the diagnostic plug at the rear of the 1200GS for the ignition signal or elsewhere?

Much appreciated.
  11. John Smallberries

Oddometer:
    I started a thread 2 years ago on my install (hint for ADVRider, use Google to search> site:www.advrider.com PDM60)
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638076&page=5

It has lots of photos from my install. Originally, I used the ignition-switched power from the BMW auxiliary power feed up at the handlebars. They stash this in the wiring bundle of the GS to enable you to power up their crazy-expensive navigation systems. I switched away from this to the diagnostic plug blue/green wire. The Aux ignition power lead worked, but had a 90-second off-time delay. This then added to the 90-second PDM60 delay and kept my system alive for 3 minutes after shutdown. I used a Posi-tap to grab the ignition 12-volts from the diagnostic plug.

Good luck!
  12. BitesTheDust

BitesTheDust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap - just the info I was looking for. Thanks!