Neale Bayly Rides kinda sucks

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by guitarin, Jun 16, 2013.

1. guitarin

guitarin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I find this show kind of annoying. Seems like a more commercial version of Long Way Round. Over produced, staged, fake, whiney, not what I expected or hoped for.:puke1
  2. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I just watched it too. The woman was kinda hot, in a cougar-ish way. Annoying though. Maybe it was the Rallye 3 outfit. I wish I had someone to follow me around & pick up my GS when I dropped it.

I also did not like the lead guy doing psych stuff on his riders. WTF, why is it his job to get that one guy out of himself and engage the natives more? Maybe I don;t understand what this is about, I was just surfing channels and saw GS's cranking though scenery.

That desert stretch looked tough though.
  3. bighopper

bighopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems to be in the 'Reality' crap TV of late, don't think I'll bother watching again.
  4. fred flintstone

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize it but you're right. I expected a legit show about GS's and technical riding, it is just an MTV reality show on GS's.
  5. Hoppus Maximus

Hoppus Maximus Slayer of Brews

Oddometer:
    Not the greatest show, but these riders were brought on for possible adoptions, so that's good. It also sheads light on poverty. Either way, I'd rather watch a bad motorcycle show than a good MTV show with a bunch of bitchy twenty somethings who think they know it all.
  6. ridewv

ridewv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I totally agree.
  7. fred flintstone

Oddometer:
    If there's anything worse than a reality TV show it is a reality TV show that tries to guilt trip me into being more socially conscious about whatever, esp via manipulating my love of bikes. No thanks. YMMV.

I may watch it again with the sound off.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I covered my TV with a decorative tablecoth 5 years ago,it never got turned on again.

Shoot your TV.
  9. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep.

I watched the first episode, realized it was "reality" tv with manufactured drama and decided not to go any further.

I'll just stick with reading ride reports.
  10. fred flintstone

Oddometer:
    Mainly a long info-mercial for BMW GS bikes and riding gear, but I did like the actual BMW bike commercials. Had not seen them before.
  11. guitarin

guitarin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride reports ROCK!:D
  12. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    Feasting on Asphalt was way more fun
  13. bcs

bcs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The show is a piece of rubbish. They spent all that time at the BMW training center, with nothing but a bunch of trumped up drama about whether the riders could make it. Not one useful tip on riding the F800GS off road.

it just gets worse in episode 2. So we have to watch the token chick drop her bike over and over. It must be very tough for her--sometimes she has to wait several seconds for a man to come pick it up. But about halfway through the show, when they are picking her bike up for the 10th time, you can clearly see she is riding in sand on street tires. They look quite like the tires BMW delivers on the bike. So I gotta feel a bit of sympathy for her. I mean, any experience rider would be smart enough to put some TKC-80s on the bike first. Or maybe street tires were intended to guarantee extra drama. Remind me never to borrow an ADV bike from Neale Bayly.
  14. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    You have to learn to filter out what you don't want. I tune out the drama and just enjoy the riding bits. Something about seeing a big bike plow through loose sand. Bad A$$!
  15. Harry94025

Harry94025 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was also wondering why they were using street tires for sand? The other thing that could have helped out would have been to run the tires at a lower pressure for the off-road/sandy sections. I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years (dirt & street), and in that one episode she crashed more than I have in all those years of riding...
  16. The_Commander

The_Commander The Man. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Linzi and I noticed that too. No wonder it's "gonna take 8 hours to cross this next patch". They're running stockers!

True. Or BMW as they're the ones prepping the bikes.
  17. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sighs... "Gonna meet the people... etc... etc..."
    So then they end up staying in 'resorts'.
    Oh boy.
  18. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kill your TV! Only revive it to watch Motorcycle racing. :deal
  19. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    Metezer rep spoke at our dealer a few weeks ago and made the statement he's never riding on knobbies again. 21st century technology is grip via chemistry, i.e. rubber compound he says.
  20. seatec

seatec Dutch Transplant

Oddometer:
    If if that were true and new materials would adhere better to sand you still have a.problem of only adhering to the top layer and shifting away from the later below. In loose material you can't out perform a knobbiest because a knobby simply grabs more material to push away from.