Continental Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by BigDogAdventures, Dec 10, 2005.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I updated the gps file on 12-27-09.
    I added the extremely hard fleecer ridge route to the file if a rider was so inclined to ride or try this route.
    I also added some updated waypoints.

Besides the route and track logs on this file---it is chocked full of waypoints for gas, food, logding, camping and any interesting thing I read about or found along the way. It will guide you on the route as first laid out by the Adventure bicycling group minus the trails that cannot be ridden on a motorcycle because it goes thru a non-motorized wilderness------and one particular nasty section that the bicyclists have to carry their bikes :huh
    This will save you the trouble of going 40 miles down a dead end route and having to backtrack--and maybe running out of gas.

I bet over 300 people have used this file and none complained of any inacuracies or problems----other than unpredictable temporary trail washouts.

Even tho I rode the trail South To North---I redid the routes on this file to navigate you North To South as it seems that is the way most people want to do it. If you want to go South to North you can reverse the routes or just follow the track log.

Waypoint Key: if a Waypoint name is "GFL Butte".........that means there is Gas, Food and Lodging in Butte---not exactly at that point---but in that town. A waypoint beginning with just "G" means there is just gas--get it ????

Have a great ride---and remember.......
    The Scenery Never Stops----Never :D

Attached Files:

ABQGSer and The Walrus like this.
  2. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Nope. GPX is in an .XML format and takes more space. Is it a track log or route? What I do is break things up into bite size pieces, especially track logs so that they are easier to work with in packages other than Mapsource.

If you want I can take a look at it and see if there is anything I can do.
  3. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mark,

We'll work with you to make sure your file gets posted is one piece, as this is certainly a "must have" contribution. I sent you an e-mail. Sorry you had a problem.

There are a number of reasons we decided to limit the attachments to only gpx files. Firstly, they are non-proprietary and open to all platforms. Secondly, mps files have been superseded by the newer format (Garmin has a habit of changing their file format frequently). Lastly, Garmin files are not easily authenticated allowing viruses to potentially be transmitted under cover. I too would like to share Garmin files, but alas, the GPX file is so simple to translate that it makes sense.

I hope this works for you since we would love to see some of your stuff posted now and in the future.

Cheers
  4. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Don't change a thing. I use Mapsource much mor than anything else. Since Mapsource reads and writes .GPX files its really not a problem that should get in your way. Also, don't strip out the routes and waypoints. I agree those are valuable parts of the file. You might think about breaking it into three sections, but it will be easier just to e-mail it to me, and I'll get it posted.
  5. Nickle

Nickle pippers on

Oddometer:
    I have Mapsource and was unable to open the file after saving it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  6. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Free upgrade to Mapsource 6.9
  7. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for working on my CD ride file so everyone can use it. We started at Antelope Wells, New Mexico and rode for 12 days on the most beautiful route in the U.S. covering 2,700 mostly offroad miles to the Canada border. It was the trip of my lifetime. Rather than me describe the trip anymore it is best to just go to my website and see it all. There is so much info on my ride report--by the time your done readin it---you'll have a very good idea of how to do it--if you want to do it---and probably what bike you want to take. Check it out.
    http://www.bigdogadventures.com/CD.htm

Attached Files:

8. dzktm

dzktm n00b

Oddometer:
    Big Dog,

Thanks for posting your route. It's great to have a track log from someone who has actually done the route. I have done most of Colorado and hope to do the rest.:norton
  9. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how to get a GPX file to work with Magellan?
  10. R-dubb

Oddometer:
    Sure, download EasyGPS. Use it to open the file. Then load the route directly into your GPS and back out to whatever software you're running on the computer.
  11. D_F

D_F Meat servo

Oddometer:
    Rokklym, I think there are a ton of programs that let you use gpx with a magellan. The one I really like is called topofusion. It lets you use topo maps or aerial photos or a blend of both, track files, elevation evals, demo is free at topofusion.com
  12. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! :D
  13. stupidfatkid

stupidfatkid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been playing around with Google Map's new API (slow day at work). I seen where your GPX file was basically a XML file so I edited it a little bit and wrote a script so Google Maps would show all the waypoints. :evil You can also click each marker and it will show a balloon with information related to that way point. And, of course, with Google Maps you can drag the map around with your mouse, zoom in and out, change the view to satellite or hybrid, etc.. Everyway, thought you might get a kick out of it.

http://www.stupidfatkid.com/google/CD/
  14. BigDogAdventures

Oddometer:
    Just a note to people planning on using my GPS file for navigation of the CD ride. Even tho I rode it South to North and my tracks were recorded the same of course----the routes on there are for North to South navigation. Everyone seems to want to do it North to South, so I made these for you. When making routes I always put the next route point that you are navigating to just barely passed the turn--that way there is no question which way to go at the turn.
    Also----my route doesn't by-pass any part of the bicycle route---except a couple places where you need a bicycle--and can't ride it anyway as it is so tough you would have to carry it.
    One last thing---there are a lot of waypoints on there for camping, gas, food lodging etc. As an example---if the waypoints name is "GFL Butte"---that means there is Gas, Food and Lodging in that town---not exactly at that waypoint--it just means it's available in that town. If the waypoints name is "G Summit"--it means there is only "Gas" in Summit---get the picture ????
    Using my route---you will never be guided down a dead end or end up in a non-motorized wilderness area. I read so many reports where guys were following the bicycle route and were slowed down by dead ends and backtracking.
    Armyguy likes this.
  15. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a set of tracklogs for CD ride from Canadian border to Banff?
  16. Ekke

Ekke RTW Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Milhaus

Milhaus Made in Denmark

Oddometer:
    Excellent, excellent write up! I am seriously considering ditching all my other ride plan ideas this summer and doing the Colorado-only section of this trip!

By the way, it is the Cumbers & Toltec Scenic RR you rode over on the Colorado/New Mexico state line.
  18. d0gWateR

d0gWateR Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer:
    You rule. I love it! I love that API too.
  19. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a version with 250 track points per 100 mile track for small units.

Attached Files:

20. Trander

Trander PORTLY ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    This is all good stuff, thanks to all of you!