Ok...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Zagh, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    After browsing a lot into the threads I just did not find any suggested list of mods to do on a standard '06 640ADV that performance-wise should be taken in consideration... nor step-by-step procedures for such mods i.e jetting, etc...

Do you guys know if such exists somewhere in the forum...?
  2. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Top of the thumper forum has a sticky post with the thread index.
  3. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    that was the first place I'd look at... but noyhing is there... at least nothing organized as a process like creeper's how to's... that I could find...

it will be great to have a detailed process on how to prper jet the bike... for instance... and what's the best jet to use for that model, etc...
  4. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer:
    Sorry, thought that would have what you wanted.

Try the LC4 forum on TT, might be some good stuff there:
    They have a jetting forum also.

www.thumpertalk.com
  5. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Jeebus n00b.... ya ain't lookin' too hard :cry

Here is one of many, and yes it still mostly applies to your later 640, with the exception of some changes to the emissions system (EPC, which is discussed elsewhere in the "Index").

Try this one for starters...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79898
  6. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    how about starting with flannys jetting guide? :dunno
  7. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    ...so let me re-formulate the thing...

...I already did read that thread about trial and error... then making a hole in the standard muffler... etc

...In this forum there are many references to jetting kits... akrapovik mufflers... air intakes or filters, etc, etc...

...but all those references are isolated in different threads, many contradicting themselves, etc

...the bottomline after reading a LOT is that I don't know which muffler combines with what jetting kit... and what fllter is to be used with what muffler, or, or , or...

...it is even unknown what a particular mod. combination is going to achieve... or even, what is expected or looked for...

...besides, most of the talk uses some slang that assumes all of us know every possible letter combination... unlike IMHO; AKA; PM; AFAIK; etc, which are common in every forum, there are people that uses this scheme to refer to tecnical things that are for many impossible to descifre... though

...so, I would like to find, if possible, a plain english, organized mods possibilities, maybe settling what goes with what, and what doesn't... hopefully based on market available parts... that we can shop'n install without much -if any- complicated procedures like drilling holes or other quite irreversible processes...

just a letter to Santa maybe... but anway... would be great... thanx everyone for your help...!
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Thanks ChrisC,

that is indexed under:

LC4 Setup Threads

Not sure what else I can do about this problem for a few folks who can't find it. I wish they would post their questions in the index thread so I could address them directly...
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Zagh, I think you're being a bit harsh on the lads and their good work here.

If you want more performance out of the bike, I see your choices as follows:
    1. improve your riding skills
    2. take it to a shop and pay a professional
    3. learn how to modify it yourself - that includes learning the lingo
    If you choose option number 3, you will learn that jetting is not an exact science, which goes a long way to explaining why there is no documented turn-key solution. If it was that easy, don't you think KTM would have done it already?
  10. ChrisC

ChrisC Amal sex?

Oddometer:
    Colin the Kiwi has got it right. Take your time, peruse the index, ask lots of questions and then have at it. That's pretty much what everyone else here has done. The pursuit is half the fun anyway... :freaky
  11. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    I see...

If you let me, I will try to put this on a perspective that maybe you guys are sort of unaware... with all respect, of course...

I honestly thought, and maybe still think, that one of this forum's main purpose could be to spread the voice... and don't get me wrong... it is spreading the voice... the voice of those who really want it to...

I am very good impressed by guys like Creeper, and others, who commit a lot of their time giving step by step processes picture illustrated of their work and effort...

I ride and repair my own bikes since I was a teen... I'm almost 38 now, so I feel very well there... and contrary as maybe it could sound I am not new to the mechanic world... I indeed graduated as a Mechanic Technician at the Ford Motor Company School...

...browsing the forum it became clear to me that the overall opinion is that there are things that must be done to our machines in order to... maybe "correct" some sort of factory standarized mechanisms actually being part of our bikes... so I really do not "want" to make this or that to the bike...

I'm just one more guy listening to everybody's thoughts and feelings that got convinced about what has to be done... for the health and performance of our loved machines...

I guess that is the impression that all the talk reflects and of course I finally end believing...

Far from pretending to be harsh... I really feel some sort of "our stuff" attitude inadvertently driven by factors like the lingo and others, what of course I can perfectly understand... nevertheless, i think is fair to let you know that maybe some of us, perhaps don't get or miss some parts of the story just beacuse we are in other countries and understand a more academic english...

Of course I know that not all people are willing or have the time to write a treatment about anything just because someone asked... maybe, my feel is that if anyone already passed by any given process, he can share what he discover, or tested... saving another from the trial and error process, or at least part of it...

I have only a week or so reading this forum, and also new to the KTM engineering... which I have to say is quite different from other brands I know... Other difference about KTM is that its parts and knowledge is generally far less known than more popular ones... what makes this adventure pretty particular... and exciting... of course...

I enjoy a lot this forum... and will continue to... maybe sometime I can post myself a usefull thing of my own... in the meantime, will continue to look for tested improvements to try...

Agape_Z
  12. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    zagh,

i completely inderstand what you are asking for. sometimes its hard to find info if you dont know where to look. like said before the lc4 index is always a good place to start people here have spent A LOT OF TIME working on it and as you have seen, people will have your ass if you dont look there first.

my suggestion would be, read the index again, maybe you missed something. then if you still have questions go over to www.ktmtalk.com and look in the dual-sport section. many of the great minds that are here also spend a lot of time over there and you dont have near the attitude to deal with.

good luck and if i can be of assitance just PM me either here or at ktmtalk. i go by the same name at both places (oops..its laramielc4-640 over there)

laters,

laramie :freaky
  13. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Jetting and modifications are both, at the same time, standardized and open for interpretation. Standardized in what items may need correction, as well as the typical direction to take… open to interpretation based on one’s personal state of being.

A good example of this is your public profile Mr. Zagh. You have not offered any indication of your present location.
    Elevation, common terrain, typical usage and speeds... these all have a bearing on finalized or, "sorted" jetting, as well as other common modifications.
    To say emphatically that this, that, or the other is the way to go for your needs is to demonstrate in public ones lack of understanding of the subject. You’ll note that no one responding to you query so far has done this… a sign that those who have responded have a finer grasp of that particular folly than you give credit.

The “guides”... mine, Flanny's and others are all subjective, to a point. All based on personal experiance, dyno testing (at a location specific to the tester) empirical evidence... and the writers level of understanding of the subject at hand.
    The fact that we took it upon ourselves to learn, understand, and in sometimes excruciatingly painful detail, share the information we provide adds a degree of perceived certitude to our pronouncements.

Logic would dictate that you take a common reference, a main jet for example... throw out the obvious highs and lows of ignorance and look towards the center of the distribution curve… data available to you.
    Then one has to comprehend how it applies to their particular set of circumstances.
    An example of this is the always entertaining and usually outspoken ChrisC. Chris lives in the lovely state of Colorado, at a nose bleeding elevation of over 5,000 ft. The mainstream "2003 and later BST40 standard starting point jetting" we are all familiar with does not apply to him, no more than it would for a resident of Death Valley California.
    Chris is a smart fellow, and understands the effects of elevation on jetting. He has wisely chosen to make few to no jetting modifications, save those modifications, trial and error selected, necessary to balance out his airbox flow and Supertrapp IDS2 installation.

Take the basics of 4-stroke engine dynamics you profess to already know, take the information available to you, separate the wheat from the chaff and proceed.
    The only things not easily reversible are the drilling of the slide and/or the coring of the muffler.
    If you look, there is enough independent evidence to demonstrate, particularly in the drilling of the slide, that these modifications have a sufficient degree of merit to warrant them.

And we’re out…
  14. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    ...thanx Laramie... appreciate your helping attitude... and you can also count on anything that could be useful from here...:beer
  15. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Zag,
    I went through the same process you are going through so don't feel like the lone ranger. I thought my head would split. The truth is the bike as supplied by KTM has a cork in it's mouth and a stick up it's ass. There are a hundred ways to deal with this and you can come up with 101.

The first thing to get straight is that there are 2 cylinder heads-low flow and high flow-the change came in 2003. If you follow someone's recs it helps if they have the same cylinder head. Also be conservative with changes unless you are headed to Africa to run the PD. You just want a strong running bike, right?

Just for the record on my part I don't think you necessarily need to rejet the bike if you change the intake and exhaust for the LOW FLOW HEAD. It will run fine and better if you somehow open the airbox and install a less restrictive exhaust with the stock jets and needle settings. You will probably have to open the low speed fuel valve 1/2 turn(I did) and adjust the idle. Pretty simple actually. My bike was running rich before I made changes with the 142.5 stock main-LOW FLOW HEAD.

I used a KTM Competition silencer-94dbA-fits right up-looks good, light(saved 5 lbs. weight) and cheap pt no 583 05 081 300. Sounds throaty, not loud. For intake I jerked the goofy snorkel and enlarged the snorkel hole an additional 4 sq. inches or 1 inch over it's entire length. Others use the racing side cover but I think if you do it this way you will like the results. It is cheap and keepds the high, dust free intake point. I think the 4 sq inch increase might be important keeping a negative pressure(the carb is always a little at a loss for air) in the airbox which helps the CV style carb work smoothly transitioning between throttle openings.

I got improved running through out the powerband with these simple changes, I would guess the increase in power at 20%. There is a pipe that eliminates the pre muffler. I am trying to buy a used one now. I think it will also help things out a little. They aren't real expensive. At this point I am satisified with the power. Smooth running, gas mileage and less vibration is what I am trying for.

I think these suggestions/this approch might also work for the high flow head. Rejetting might be required, I am not sure.

OK, lots of words. Keep it simple(and write up you results for us when you are satisified).
    Bill in Tomahawk, WI
  16. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    your welcome... :freaky
  17. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your thoughts, Creeper... I honestly did not realize that anyone will look at the profile to elaborate an answer... of course you are one of those who do... apologize for that...

I was really not looking for someone to take the time and write something about it... I just asked if such was available and eventually where or under what thread to find it...

...Of course I am aware of the different situations, since I'm happen to be in Mexico City... 2,200 to 2,500 meters altitude (7,217 to 8,200 feet)... that's sort of why I am browsing for both similar and different experiences...

...and the most difficult scenario is the fact that there are off road routes that starting in Mexico City run thru 400 kilometers up to Acapulco -at sea level- passing by volcanoe area reaching very different and variable altitudes...

...such an environment somehow makes me wander what a good starting point performance-wise should be taken, how many variables are maybe worth to be corrected... and how much to depart from it... etc..
  18. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    Here is what I did to my 05, it runs great now.
    Instead of having too much power for off road work, it now has way too much. Its not that great of a road bike so the extra ponies are a little wasted but you can snatch a lot of grunt from about 1500 rpms on. When it was stock it wouldnt pull untill about 2500 rpms.

one step up on the idle jet.
    160 main jet, I think its a little rich, a 157.5 is probably perfect for mine.
    raised the needle 1 clip richer
    drilled out the air vents on the carb slider (3mm I believe, its documented in flanny's guide)
    I have had the bike from sea level to 7 thousand feet with no problems.
    1.5 in hole saw to the rear of the muffler. Thats after I took the plates off the rear. After cutting the hole, a large part of the restriction came out.
    air box screen side cover (this mod is also in the file)
    I also added a pack of the external baffles on the rear. (not sure but it think it was a pack of 8) the bike is too loud for my taste.

Its not perfect but close. I also have the loaded idle mixture screw.

I know you didn't ask but those rims are junk. if you are going to do any off road riding get Woodys to put some new excels on it.

When I serviced the front forks I raised the oil level to 100 mm. This has firmed up the front end a lot and is less prone to bottoming out.
  19. Zagh

Zagh 640ADV

Oddometer:
    thanks a lot Bill... for taking the time and effort to explain your case... as soon as I start with that -I'm at breakin process now- will publish some results for you to share... you can count on it... Z
  20. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:

thanks laramie,

what I don't understand is why folks who have trouble finding something in the index don't post their question to that thread. Like I posted above, it seems like a good thread title to me, but if someone were to suggest "LC4 standard mods" or other jive I wouldn't get cranky from a suggestion.

most of our slapdash attitude is just for fun if folks haven't figured that out.