950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by WARRIORPRINCEJJ, Jun 20, 2010.

1. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen,

I have been in the OC for a little while now, and noticed that (to the best of my knowledge) there is no specific thread where an SE owner can ask a quick question or two (short of starting an entirely new thread for each and every subject). I have posted a coupla' of questions in the 950 SE Photo Thread, but never felt right about doing it.

When I owned my DR650SE, I could go to the DR650 thread, and ask about almost anything. Within five minutes, there were usually three to four responses (like the OC, great bunch of guys over there). So, I wanted to start a similar thread, in the OC, where SE pilots could ask a question or two...whether they were in the middle of a project (and encountered a problem), or just wanted the SE gurus to weigh-in on a strange behavior or issue.

I know that redundancy is met pretty harshly. So, if I am wrong, and a thread like this already exists, I hope that the Mods. will toast this one.

And, for good measure, I will start it off...

I recently pulled-apart the SE to check all the carb. and airbox venting, and complete the H2W jetting. When I did so, I came-across some things about which I wanted to inquire.

1. There is a female connector, between the cylinders, that resembles the horn connectors. It has a transparent blue rubber cover, and appears to be disconnected from a corresponding male connector that is screwed into the front cylinder. What are they...and are they supposed to be connected?

2. There are two hoses that are connected to what I could call the intake manifold area, on the right side. One hose has a screw placed in it, and the other was attached to the right, bottom of the airbox. I assume that the Dealer did this during the SAS/Canisterectomy. Are they supposed to be done that way?

3. How do you adjust the floats in the carbs.?

Thanks in advance...

Deftone1 and VOLdog like this.
  2. rebelrider153

rebelrider153 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dont have an answer but a question on 990 can you change the time to standard or is it only military?
  3. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    Great start to this one... I don't have an answer either.

Since when are there 990 Super Enduros?
  4. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    [

1. There is a female connector, between the cylinders, that resembles the horn connectors. It has a transparent blue rubber cover, and appears to be disconnected from a corresponding male connector that is screwed into the front cylinder. What are they...and are they supposed to be connected?

2. There are two hoses that are connected to what I could call the intake manifold area, on the right side. One hose has a screw placed in it, and the other was attached to the right, bottom of the airbox. I assume that the Dealer did this during the SAS/Canisterectomy. Are they supposed to be done that way?

3. How do you adjust the floats in the carbs.?

Thanks in advance...

.[/quote] 1.Don't know 2.yes 3.carefully bend the little tabs that touch the float neddles
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Two SE questions:

How do I keep the front wheel on the ground?

How do I keep myself from laughing while riding?
    Dirt2007, pops, Captainbeaky and 6 others like this.
  6. dogsslober

dogsslober No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer:
    Not humanly possible to either:lol3 :clap
  7. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    1. I think is your oil pressure switch, hook it back up.

2. Plug or cap them both, leave a little length in the hose and leave them easy to get at for balancing your carbs. Pretty shitty work if I'm reading this right since the bottom of the airbox is where the dirty air is.
  8. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    dogsslober and triplenickel,

Thanks so much for your responses. They probably don't seem like much on your end. However, they are a HUGE help to someone like me.

I looked-over the float area pretty well. I didn't see anything that I felt comfortable "carefully" bending. ds, I don't know if you will be seeing this post...However, are you talking about the two little pieces of "wire" that look like the metal inside of a bread tie?

I was mistaken, tn. The one on the rear has about 12 inches of hose attached to it, and is plugged with a screw of some sort. The one on the front has about 16-18 inches of hose attached to it, and was hooked to the airbox. However, upon closer inspection, it was hooked to an inch-long nub that is attached to the right, rear, upper edge of the airbox bottom. The nub is not a vent of any kind, just a (approximately) one-inch plastic extension of some sort. The hose was attached to it with a hose clamp.

While I may have been mistaken about the mounting of the hose, you are absolutely correct about shitty work. That is the only reason why I (a complete mechanical dumbass) decided to undertake this mess. I can't trust my dealer, and am sick of paying so much for substandard work.

I do a lot of my own maintenance on my 300, and have discovered some of the stuff that they have tried to get-away with on it. At this point, I am not sure that I would trust my dealer to put gas in my bike.

So, as I've stated before, "Thanks" to everyone for the help.

Hobbomock likes this.
  9. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good deal, poor girl doesn't deserve dirty air.
  10. matt71

matt71 glasshouse bandit

Oddometer:

there aren't any 990 se's .
  11. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From this and your updated description, these are indeed the vacuum lines from the inlets. Their primary use is for balancing the carbs. I use the rear cyclinder spigot for activating my Scottoiler (which is great) and the front one is stopped on the nub at the back of the airbox as yours is. It should be a tight fit not requiring a hose clamp but it wouldn't hurt to have one. Be sure to seal these two pipes well as any leaks will make your engine run like crap!

The manual advises a carb balance every major service, which could be every other year! I would do it much more often as it make the low engine speed pick up much more friendly and generally smooths things out to have the carbs well balanced.

I bought a pair of dial gauges for about £35 which are ok but I intend to make a manometer to fine tune. The KTM workshop dial gauges are something like £250!!!:lol3 Plenty of info on ADVrider and in the manual on how to balance and a good skill to learn. On the SE (or SM in my case) you need to remove the tank then reconnect the fuel pump power and hoses with the tank on a stand next to the bike so you can run the bike with the top of the airbox off. You may need to extend the high pressure fuel line to achieve this though.
  12. mookymoo

mookymoo Mookish Mook

Oddometer:
    1. Already answered - its your oil pressure switch
    2. The bit on the right-bottom of the airbox is just a blank. Its doing the same job as your screw. Nothing to worry about. Personally, Id put a screw in both - then they are easier to get to when balancing carbs
    3. You have to bend this tab
    [​IMG]

From here: http://www.ktm950.info/how/carbs/Jetting/h2w_kit.html
  13. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the clocks on the later 990s but with the clocks as found on the SE (& SM) the manual only shows it in 24 hour mode (military as you say) and only details how to adjust it. I cannot see any other way to change it either.
  14. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo, and the link, mookymoo. :thumb

15. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I've decided I need a waterproof tank bag for my SE, which is fitted with a Safari 7.9-gallon tank. I want something as small and out-of-the-way as possible - enough to hold a camera, cell phone, wallet, etc. - that is water-PROOF when closed, not one that requires a separate rain cover.

The ideal size would be like a Wolfman Enduro, but that model isn't waterproof.

I'm also wondering if the Safari's gas cap vent tube will interfere with fitment.

Anyone with the SE and Safari got a recommendation? I've seen the GL Fandango but it looks on the large side for what I'm after.

Thanks!
  16. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got caught in an absolute frog-strangling downpour for about an hour, during rush hour, on the way home from work a coupla weeks ago. I was so focused on not being taken out by soccer moms, it never occurred to me to stop and put the rain cover on my Wolfman Enduro tankbag. When I got home, the outside of the bag was absolutely saturated, but the inside was bone dry. I think I'll spray it with Scotchguard and call it good. I'll use the rain cover if I know I'm going to be in the rain all day.
  17. motomal

motomal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will be my next tank bag purchase:

KRIEGA PRODUCTS

A 10 litre US-10 would be good for day trips and the US-20 (if the bars allow) for the big trips.
    Captainbeaky likes this.
  18. firebolter

firebolter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just use a larger Zip Lock bag inside and use the tank bag you like. I use that Wolfman Enduro bag on my SE for exactly what you said, wallet, camera, sunglasses, keys and a tire pressure gauge. It has seen hard rain, but not for extended periods of time. No issue.
  19. T O Double D

T O Double D Pogue Mahone

Oddometer:
    I use a Giant Loop tank bag and it doesn't get in my way at all. It looks to me like they're just about the same size.
  20. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    So,

After my SE sat for about two months (while I put-in 15 minutes here and 15 minutes there installing the H2W jet kit and pre-filter), I was patting myself on the back for not having any "extra" pieces leftover. Then, I went to the gas station, to fill-up the tank, and realized that I did not re-attach the fuel tank lid vent hose.

Here is my problem...

Over the last coupla' months, while working on the bike, I have been keeping an orderly pile of bolts, washers, hoses, carb. internals, etc. To re-install everything, I just went backwards. Well, I never came-upon the above hose, during the re-install. So, what did I do with it?

I searched my ever-growing collection of hoses, and found a long (thin) amount of hose that is attached to a short (fatter) amount of hose...via a small white connection.

Is this my hose? :lol3 What I meant to ask was, is the above combination of hoses the one that I am looking for? If it is, where does the thicker portion attach?

Thanks in advance...

P.S.- By the way, I have been looking at SE pictures, trying to figure this one out on my own...no luck.