DR650 3rd gear blowups

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by NordieBoy, Jan 16, 2009.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I think that's the first time I've heard Suzuki offering anything at all.

Score!
  2. miniroot

miniroot running in: please pass

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed it's retrospective!

;)
  3. miniroot

miniroot running in: please pass

Oddometer:
    Somewhere around page 10...

2007, 39,200km, NZ
  4. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Looks like it fell of around page 9...

NordieBoy (NZ) 2001 60,000km
    Transalper (NZ) 2001 55,000km
    Rosscoact (AU) 2004 13,000km
    Mardy (US) 1997 53,000km
    Haddon (NZ) 1999 40,000km
    RubberCow80 (AU) 2001 25,000km
    Philth (AU) 3 bikes <20,000km
    BikeRooter (AU) 2006 10,200km
    Madsdad (US) 2005 16,000km
    briangv99 (AU) 2006 21,000km
    bluebye (US) 2004 37,000km
    Coyote X (US) 2007 33,800km
    DRjoe (AU) 1997 100,000km
    DRJens (SE) 2001 23,000km
    DRjoe (AU) 2003 15,000km
    Miniroot (NZ) 2007 39,200km
    Helicopter (NZ) 2002 ???km
    Klay (US) 2001 29,000km
    RobTheButch (AU) 2007 17,000km
    Ganjora (??) 2009 36,857km
  5. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    $1000 ?? :huh Jeez... maybe in parts...
  7. TAPnTX

TAPnTX Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yea, I think he is dreaming about getting a grand for the Rolling frame.

Todd
  8. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay guys, I had said some time ago I new of one that had let go. Well, I still don't know about him but I ran into another friend this morning who I haven't seen in a long time, at our local Suzuki dealer. He was bringing his '09 back after just having the 3rd and 4th gears replaced as well as a bore and new piston, rings and valve guide seals.
    Evidently, it had started smoking and then 3rd gear took a dump. He said the tranny had been making noise since day one. Good thing he bought the extended warranty.
    The reason for bringing it back after the rebuild was a base gasket leak.

Anyhow, he's had two of these bikes and they both suffered the 3rd gear problem.
    This one an '09 with 6,600 miles and an '03 with 20,000 miles.

Ironically, I was there to look at a used '03 they had for sale but it had sold a couple days ago.
  9. FloridaSteve

FloridaSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, How hard is he on his bikes generally?

10. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    I'm sure his 3rd or perhaps his 4th one, will be a lot better.

Bingo ! Just sold another couple dozen KLR's, with this "useful" thread.

I know a friend, who knew a friend, who's sister's boyfriend grenaded a ....

996DL
  11. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not hard at all that I'm aware of. He's in his 60s and takes good care of his bikes. He also has a first gen SV650 and an old Yamaha SR500 that have given no problems.

This is a thread to record 3rd gear grenades. I'm reporting what I know of.
    I have no axe to grind with DR650s. In fact I really like the bikes and was interested in picking one up--the reason I was at the dealer this morning--to look at a used one.
  12. bullittman281

bullittman281 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd hardly call this an issue. 20 bikes out of how many sold?? Your more likely to get hurt waking up in the morning.

Bullittman
  13. texasjake

texasjake n00b

Oddometer:
    2002 DR650, almost 12k miles, completely stock, Texas - USA

Bought in 2008 with 10k, third owner, no history of problems, no strange noises until 2 days ago.

I noticed a loud whine in first gear only. 2nd - 5th gears were normal. Also, at low to normal RPM, if instead of shifting from 1st to 2nd, you let off the throttle while remaining in 1st, the countershaft seems to skip or "ratchet". Luckily when this started I was close to home and limped it back. The motor did not lock up. It starts, idles and will shift from neutral into first without issue. But, there is now pronounced gear whine in first. I pulled the CS sprocket cover and to me it seems there's too much up-and-down play at the shaft, along with a new oil leak at the seal that wasn't there previously. I haven't pulled the chain and sprocket to investigate further but it doesn't feel too good right now.

After reading the previous posts, my bike will NOT be ridden, or even started, until I find out what's wrong.

I was directed to this thread after Googling "DR650 Transmission trouble". I haven't read of anyone else having first gear issues so I'm not sure what's happening with my bike. It'll take a case split to be sure, I guess...
  14. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Tight chain at some stage?
    Knackered output shaft bearing?
  15. texasjake

texasjake n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking bearing also, based on the slop in the shaft at the sprocket. Chain isn't too tight that I remember. I'll have to check it out further with the bike on a stand.

The whining came on with no warning and the mechanical ratcheting and clunking has me worried. It'll be awhile before I can get into the engine but I'll post up what I find. Hopefully it's not too serious.
  16. Eggsontoast

Eggsontoast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm....

I have a '96 DR650SE which I use everyday for my work: as a courier. I ride the bike hard and travel through London all the way out on fast country roads to mile upon mile of motorway/autobahn.

I regularly maintain the bike and fix whatever needs doing myself. Good quality oil is cheap insurance, singles tend to be much harder on oil then the equivalent multi cylindered machines. I change the oil filter every 2:1 oil changes, with the oil replaced every 2000 miles.

The bike has at present 44,000miles or 70,000KM's. :norton

Not so long ago the bike has started to consume more oil, which I can attribute to rather worn piston rings and very high temperatures associated with riding in London; it's an absolute slave march.

I have been using Castrol power 4 semi synthetic 10W40 which I beleive tends to dramatically thin out as the engine gets hot, which compounds the already notchy behaviour from the gearbox. This week I will be using the same range/grade (fully synthetic) and form my own conclusions. I am tempted to use 10W50 for it's higher viscosity when the engine is hot. If there's one thing I can say about the DR; and I guess most singles is to keep the oil topped up. Forget what the manual says, just keep her topped up just below the full mark, or it gets ugly.

Which it has for me...

As said, the problem occured not so long ago when I was waiting at a traffic light (IN LONDON!) and clunked the bike into first, only this time and for no apparent reason it felt like a bag of spanners.:bmwrider

It got so bad I thought the thing was going to shit itself out from the' cases and spill it's guts out like some shot down suspect.

2300 miles in and I haven't been able to use first gear, the only reason I am not yet dismantling and replacing whatever needs doing is due to one thing: money. I don't smoke but I should...

It's interesting to read and see the problems encountered as it gives some background on these bikes. I'm looking at £1000 to replace the probable parts. The bike's worth £1500. All part of learning.

The problem was showing sign when I first bought the bike a year ago. Neutral to first had a noticeable clunk and under power or two up the bike would jump out of second back into first. As it stands you can hear the engagement dogs (from the driveshaft) rattling as they try engaging against the joining gear and it's channel if I try and use first. The point to note concerning gearboxes is that the teeth don't usually wear, it's the aforementioned dogs, channels and selector forks which do, first...:freaky:

So if you have to replace your gears, obviously check such things as shafts, bearings, teeth, dogs, channels but do bear in mind that if you have to replace X gear, make sure you replace it's sister "engagement" gear and not neccessarilly the same opposed gear: driveshaft+countershaft third set. Also do make sure you replace the corresponding selector fork.

I know of a chap in the Uk that goes by the name of "Oily-Tom" who factures and cuts his own gear with good results: http://www.mpe07.co.uk/
    I plan on sending him the worn gears for him to deduct and possibly make a set from there.

Will post pictures when the time and money comes in for all to see and hopefully learn from.

Before I proceed with this does anyone know the dimensions for the ring-socket tool that removes the ring nut on the flywheel??

And...

Can you correctly install the crank without the installer attachments??

Pat
  17. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    No idea, I took the easy way out and replaced the engine.
    Was done in an hour.

Someone more helpful will be along soon.

:evil
  18. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive no idea of domensions but a hammer and punch will do the trick or a C ring spanner will do a more refined job

only special tool i needed to rebuild my transmssion was the rotor puller. you may need a little heat on the bearing but the crank drops in fairly eaisly.
  19. Dracothius

Dracothius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm in the market for a big single DS. I've come to the conclusion that the dr is for me. I now stumble on this thread. It seems that one 09 has had it happen. I think I'm still going to get one. My question is can you get the 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty on this from suzuki? I have to buy new whatever I buy so may as well get the warranty and not worry as long as I can get the 5 yr on it.
  20. Eggsontoast

Eggsontoast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers fella!

Now to save some skins and get stuck in. :bmwrider

Pat