CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jckid

jckid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd add another pic.

[​IMG]

Post up pics if you've got 'em. Would like to get ideas for other mods, and action shots are great too...
  2. philp38

philp38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the rear rack from?
  3. jckid

jckid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    XR's Only. They have a few accessories for the 230L. The rack works great.
  4. Bulldogs2k

Bulldogs2k Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cool tires jckid. Looks like I know what my next purchase will be.
    A
  5. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    ...excuse me, hi, pardon me, i just need to squeeze by, nice hat by the way, is this seat taken?

:wave
    Hi everyone, im new here, so why not start by posting some pics of my bike...

My 08 crf230l. I just have a Cargo tail bag on it, and I stuck my Garmin eTrex on the handle bars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  6. RoughRider

RoughRider elderly windbreaker

Oddometer:
    I took delivery of a CRF230L myself last week. I've been riding an XT225, but got tired of the noise. This Honda is QUIET. I like the looks of your Cargo Tail Bag. I think I'll order one of those to use while waiting for Turbo City's Borrego Rack to become available. That is what I used on the XT225 and I really liked it. The Turbo City gent's email to me stated that they hope to have a CRF230L model available soon.

What's hanging under the left side your tail bag? Is that part of the bag or something else?

:thumb
  7. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:

Yah, its part of the bag. Its just the 2 flaps on either side that are supposed to fold under the bag. Its to fold up the bunjees in for when you want to carry the bag with you. The bag might mount better on some sort of cargo rack, I just have it sitting on the fender. Its a pretty nice bag, expandable to be able to fit a full face helmet.
  8. Hot Dog Stu

Hot Dog Stu Known Egger

Oddometer:
    Just bought for my wife......

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  9. jckid

jckid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. shawn_nj

shawn_nj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up this 230L with 191miles on it. I cant wait to actually get sometime on it! Take my license test on Thurs, really hope I pass.

[​IMG]
  11. kuyaoli

kuyaoli Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good luck!
  12. shawn_nj

shawn_nj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I passed the road test today! Rode the 230L for 60miles around back roads, getting used to being in traffic. I think I did pretty good for my first day out. WOW the 230 is SOOOO much fun! I cant wait to get it on some dirt.
  13. shawn_nj

shawn_nj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the 230 dirty. Bike did really well on loose sand trails. I'm hooked!

[​IMG]
  14. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac Go Adventure

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a 230L for my wife and I to share. I really wanted a big adventure bike but needed to ride something with my son on his 140. A big adventure bike didn't fit the bill. My wife also wanted to be able to ride it and the 230 was as big as she could go.

Fast forward a month or two and my wife hasn't ridden the bike yet. It looks like I will be 99% rider. The good news is that it makes a great little commuter bike. 144 miles on the first tank of gas. I only live 3.6 miles from work so it sure beats taking the pickup to work.

I really don't have a point of reference for this little bike but it feels anemic to me. Does changing the pipe really add power or just make it louder? Are folks rejetting them? I haven't done any research yet.

Carl
  15. grubbie

grubbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one for my wife. It is her first bike at 45 years old and she is having a blast with it. I love it too but she never lets me ride it. A few things to keep in mind; When I first rode it, I thought it was a little gutless in the higher gears, and I thought the seat was uncomfortable. The more it gets broke in, the more power it sems to have, and the seat loosens up a bit so it's not quite so hard. Keep in mind, it is a dual sport, not a street bike. You will have to deal with some ass fatigue no matter what.
    Here she is heading out to check on some cows.....

Attached Files:

16. grubbie

grubbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would have to remove the air constriction at both ends. Doesn't do much good to open up the pipe without opening up the air box too. I did the mods to my XT250 and gained some low end torque, but you probably won't see an increase on the top speed. I'm certainly no expert, by the way, these are just my observations. I took the XT back to stock setup cause it made it louder, and not a good kind of loud. It sounded horrible! If you open up the airbox somehow, and put an FMF pipe on it, you will see some sort of power gain I'm sure. The FMF should sound good too. When you get this thing on the trails, you won't miss the big adventure bike you wanted. If you do, just look in your rear view mirror cause that's where they'll be!
  17. Sgtdn0119

Sgtdn0119 n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine is still pretty much stock, but there is a ton if info on www.crf230l.com

Lots of info on getting more out of the engine.
    Orthodoc likes this.
  18. RiotPat

RiotPat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wife is enjoying hers.

[​IMG]
    Combatscoot likes this.
  19. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    Im turning my F model into an L model adding a tusk d/s kit...
  20. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi i would like ask all of you who wrote something here before, or new people, how are you liking or5 disliking your 230l? pros and cons?

i have a klr 650 and for city, or teaching to ride to wife it is the wrong tool for the job. Also it is too tall so a was looking into something smaller and i don't care for hp, i learned on a 125 cc with 12 ponies so getting to 55 mph was a long time.

i want to use this bike for going to work, 4 miles each way with city and some light hwy traffic, for a total of 16 miles per day, and on the weekends it could be my wife's bike (maybe a bit tall for her)

so do you like it? how does it compare to the xt225 or 250? how is longer term cost of ownership?

my local dealer has some cut down prices on this bikes and it could be a great bike.

thanks for your input

damasovi