Breather hose for Final Drive

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by One Less Harley, Jul 30, 2012.

1. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    Planning to do the breather mod for the final drive on an R80 G/S. I plan on using the old breather with the center section knocked out. Then press in an insert a banjo bolt fitting from a brake line can be used to attack an old brake line for the breather hose. Not sure where to put the terminating end and if it needs some sort of filter or valve on the end. I'm thinking of terminating it in the airbox. Ideas and input are greatly appreciated.
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a brass plug with a sensor well you can buy that fits nicely. The ID is threaded for a temp sensor, but it'll also take a banjo bolt. I ran the hose on mine up inside of the spine tube, no filter, just high and dry.

[​IMG]
  3. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    where can I source the sensor plug???

ID-10mmx1.0
    OD- 18mmx1.5
  4. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    If I rode those things through water crossings like some do I would most definitely vent my FD AND tranny to a higher spot. I would probably use brake line. 100% waterproof and is harder to yank apart than some setups.
  5. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I bought mine from touratech as I used to work just down the street from them. It was for their IMO computer and I can't remember what model bike it was for, but I remember them telling me it was the last one they had in that size and they wouldn't be getting more. Check on that though as it might've changed. Try googling oil drain plug temp sensor or something like that. I know touratech didn't make it. They bought it off the shelf somewhere. It's out there. Also, I wouldn't terminate it in your airbox, as that'll put it under vacuum and could eventually suck all the oil out of your swingarm into your final drive.
  6. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    found one on ebay but it'll cost me $28.
  7. walkingbear

walkingbear airhead_motocave

Oddometer:
    Being stupid today .. but don't get it this morning.

You drill a hole in the new plug ? Attach a banjo fitting with hose vent?

[​IMG]

• Allows Easy Fitting Of An Oil Temperature Gauge
    • Sizes Available To Suit Most Applications

This handy adaptor allows the fitting of an oil temperature gauge without having to modify the engine sump. The sump plug adaptor replaces the existing oil drain plug and will accept sender units with either M10 x 1 or 1/8 NPT thread. Available in a range of threads to suit most applications, please check the thread size and type of your sump plug.
  8. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I've looked around and found that some O2 sensor plugs will work, just have to tap it out to 10mmx1.0 or possibly the 1/8 NPT will work as I have that tap. These are about $7.00
  9. AliBaba

AliBaba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    not stocked in USA, but if it were it would be $13, I think I'll try the O2 sensor plug.
  11. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Just give them a call and tell them you want one. They should be able to order it from Germany for you. They receive big shipments all the time and it's nothing they couldn't just drop in with anything else they ship.
  12. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I may think about making a few up with a hydraulic hose. if people would be interested let me know. If no one pipes up I'll just make one for myself.
  13. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    May order the tour tech ones as it's threaded for a 10x1.0 the other one found is 1/8 NPT and I'm not sure how well it will fit the 10mmx1.0 banjo bolt. I know the threads will get a little mangled, so probably need to play it safe.
  14. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    found a good alternative to the tour tech option, which will work out fine. just gonna make ten of these. Just as easy to order 10 as it is one, plus it will spread the shipping cost between 10 units. Got the brass adapter and banjo fittings, just need to figure out if the hose will be a hydraulic hose or a heat pressed on hose to the banjo fitting. Heat pressed hose will be cheaper, lighter and won't come off easily.

Pretty much will look the same as what AW has done.
  15. Airhead Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I just used some extra 1/4" fuel line I had lying around. I used the banjo fitting like a barb and just slipped the fuel line over it. It's a REALLY tight fit so nothing's getting in there. Just curious, where'd you find the plug? Just be careful that it's nothing too long as if it threads in too deep it'll grind on the crown gear. I remember it being a very close fit.
  16. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in one of those.
  17. hikerjohnson

hikerjohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me three.
  18. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    found and ordered a brass adapter with a rubber o-ring, but it was back ordered till Aug 31st......good news is I found one cheaper shipping included with a crush washer...it's in steel (good or bad on that). I'll post up for future reference the parts sources, and a very slight mod to the adapter.

I'm guessing 42' on the breather hose, this will take it up to the top tube next to the frame pump as AW suggested.

I'll post up in venders when I get the stuff together. For picts and such.
  19. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Add me onto the list please!
  20. One Less Harley

Oddometer:
    I got the adapters in, these were 18x1.5 male and 1/8" NPT female. Couldn't just tap out the NPT to 10mmx1.0 which I had hoped to do as the NPT didn't go all the way through the fitting. It's never easy. So the back of the adapter was drlled out to 11/27" then retaped with the 1/8 NPT, then taped out to 10mm.

Drilling back of adapter.

[​IMG]

Ten little Indians...

[​IMG]

still waiting for the banjo fittings. The adapters look a lot like the plug on the FD, mainly the look of the collar around the nut. These appear to be chrome plated.