Vermont and New Hampshire Dual Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by jackpiner57, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Rebmilc

Rebmilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello All

I'm new to duel sport bikes but have ridden both road and dirt for many years. I would love to find some like minded riders in the southern NH area. Just finished a ride in the Danbury NH area that was awesome. Dirt roads, class 6 roads and unmaintained roads on a mountain ridge. Some of the riding was a bit hairy for me to ride alone. I'll post a GPS track when I get it figured out.

Rebmilc = Dislexic Climber
  2. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome from your southern neighbor! I'm a relative noob to DS as well and am looking for others to ride with. I too feel much better about taking on more challenging terrain when with a riding buddy.... just much safer/smarter IMO. I'm trying to find some area of north central Mass/southern NH to (legally) ride. I picked the brain of a local firefighter friend who gave me some new areas to explore around Winchendon, MA!:clap

Enjoy your KLR! It was too much bike for me to start out with.... she's a heavy pig (and tall) for the uninitiated! Went with the KLX 250, and boy, what a difference *for me*. Give me a shout if/when you'd want to meet up and take on some trails!

CJ
  3. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of planning a VT Class 4 and Legal Trail route linking trails in various towns near here with minimal road sections. I figure this will be a full day of riding. I'll post it up here when I get it figured out.

I'm going to be putting together a route more suited to KLR's and the like without the hard sections pretty soon. I already have some idea of what roads I want to include. I have to get a little more tech savvy and figure out how to make a route on google maps and post it up with a description of the terrain.

That's my approach also. :thumb Sometimes people put gates up on legal trails and class 4 roads and say they don't want you riding there, but you still have a right as long as you know for sure that you're on the legal trail. It takes some diplomacy sometimes and showing them the town highway map on my netbook sometimes helps.
  4. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Alright ladies :lol3

Sunday is on, on, on! Rain on shine (a little moisture never heard anyone, and the weather is warm, plus we have the tree cover). I sent out an email to those invited, one had a change of plans, and one may have to bail early. Still waiting to hear from guymanbro and mellow. Meeting in Swanzey, NH 9:00 am.

Anyone else, give me a shout, as there still might be room.
  5. Rebmilc

Rebmilc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Again all

De Oppresso Liber thanks for the reply we should definitely go for a ride. The KLR is a big bike but I lowered it 1.5 inches and feel pretty good on it now. Is anyone heading out this weekend for a ride. Anyone want to initiate a new rider game on trying some technical terrain? Anyone want to teach an old dog new tricks? Think of it as a challenge I might surprise you.

Reb Milc
  6. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:

I'm in!!!! (As long as I can get my NH OHV sticker before Sunday)
  7. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Did you get my email?

I'm not advocating not having a sticker (I have one), but I have seen like 1 ranger (in passing) in the past year and half.

There is an Arctic Cat place in Troy open on Sunday if it comes to it.
  8. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Sunday meeting at 9:00 am. I just sent an email to those who confirmed (3+ myself). Some of you expressed interest in riding around here as well, so whether you want to join us or not is up to you. For future reference, if someone wants to ride the trails, one of the many access points to the trail network is located at.
    GPS coordinates: N42 50.515 W72 15.298
  9. Mellow802

Mellow802 RIDE VT

Oddometer:
    I can't make this one but hope to inthe future. Im moving ins a week and turns out I have a motto do....go figure.
    Thanks for the invite and all the info......have fun
  10. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure they will have the OHV sticker at the Troy Arctic Cat? I'd call to make sure..... I have no idea if the would have them applicable for MC use since they don't sell bikes there.... just a thought! You guys have fun, ride safe, and I hope to catch up with you soon on another ride!

Climber backwards, here's a link to some open dates for me to ride. Ceck your dance card and see if you have an open spot!
    advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712241
  11. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    I got mine there in May. they sell ATVs and the sticker is the same for ATVs and bikes.
  12. DieLivin

DieLivin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just getting back in touch with my dirty side...

Been a track junky down south for years and just picked up a Multistrada and keep finding myself on gravel roads.

I had put more streetish Kenda 76somethings on the DRZ for dual sport stuff, my knobs are back at the beach in NC.

I have been all over these trails from MA to VT to NH, just short little hour or so jaunts from my place here in Brattleboro. I'm needing my GPS on me at all times as I end up down or up the craziest routes! Love these roads around here! The beaches of NC/SC are all just flat sandy and swampy, but the race tracks rule...year round!

Power lines off of Weatherhead Hollow Rd.
    [​IMG]

a quick phone vid of a stream I dead ended at on a power line in NH around Swanzee?
    [​IMG]

hit me up at dielivin@hotmail.com if you want to ride, I'm game for anything, but I'm sure I'm going to be needing some knobs back on the DRZ!
  13. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Ha, I've never seen that brook in Swanzey (not yet), but I came across a waterfall on the border of Swanzey and Troy
    [​IMG]
    And yes, you will need knobs. I quickly learned that even Anakees are pretty useless when things get slippery.
  14. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, that power line trail looks great.:thumb
  15. henrymartin

Oddometer:
    Tom, are you coming? I know it's a bit far for you.
  16. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks Henry, but I'd never make it in time. Maybe next time. Got back tonight from Cape Cod. I may be joining a ride locally if they are still doing it tomorrow.
  17. TMORAN

TMORAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought 3 OHRV stickers there last week.

Tom

18. TMORAN

TMORAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I just saw this part..... meaning you f'ers are out there right now!! I've been piddling around with the bikes down in the barn.... :pissed I took the family and some neighbors out there last week. with a side by side and the neighbors had four wheelers, one being a Kymco 150 four wheeler. What a POS. they had to tow it all the way back from Richmond to Troy. Slow....slow... ride. I found a great new place to park with lots of nice parking over on the Richmond side. :evil
  19. ellivnad

ellivnad uber n00b

Oddometer:
    So a few of us northerners got together to do some DSing today despite the rain. The planned route was a mix of gravel and class 4: http://tinyurl.com/44ybr9t

The ride started with 3 of us kicking off from Danville. Here we are on Cole's Pond Road:

[​IMG]

We deviated from the route in a few spots, to hit a couple of additional class 4s in Walden, as well as one in Hardwick.

The KLR took a dirt/rock nap down by Nichols Pond resulting in some bash plate / shifter interference:

[​IMG]

Nothing a branch, elbow grease and zip ties couldn't fix.

In Hardwick the two guys joining me split off, and another coworker met up after having driven the last section of the route in reverse. We continued on Buffalo Mtn road and Woodbury mountain road. No action photos, as we were hauling arse and having fun, but here is an aftermath photo:

[​IMG]

Those roads have dried up a bit in the past couple weeks, so I thought I could drive straight through one of the mud holes... and got swamped. A testament to the E-09s on the bike though, it crawled its way right out with a spectacular fountain of mud. (Those tires have 3k on them so far btw, extremely happy with them).

We ended up skipping the Eagle Ledge road yet again, as we had things to do and were getting hungry. That's certainly still on the list of things to do.
  20. ellivnad

ellivnad uber n00b

Oddometer:
    Tom (jackpiner57), sorry I missed you! Your voicemail just came through. We must have been sitting at the bottom of Woodbury Mtn road at the same time you were on Eagle Ledge. Maybe you ran into a rider heading south on County road, he was on an old Honda thumper, he headed south just after we split off to head home.