Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #31
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwodogs View Post
I rode all my life until my college years, then I gave it up to raise a family. The kids are all grown and gone. I am in the process of buying a 2012 KLR 650. Looking for people to ride with, I live just off hwy 23 about 10 miles north of Prestonsburg.

Kinda funny cause I was married to a women who was related to one of the 2. either a Hatfield or a McCoy. Which everone was from the Pikeville. LOL
You may have found someone to ride with! I just finished a trip to P-Burg 3-4 weeks ago threw the back woods roads. I left Matewan, went below Williamson Ky side turned right at the toll bridge at Nolan, rockhouse,wolf branch, brushy,heenon,thomas to German Creek at hit the buffett at Jenny Wiley Resort. Nice riding in that neck of the woods and also got to see the first McCoy settlement and was amazed that the ole house is still standing. My hopes are to camp at German Creek, Jenny Wiley or Paintsville Lake campground for a few days and do some scouting, mapping and picture taking here very shortly and also do some riding around Panitsville as well and take my time and mark some points of interest such as Loretta Lynn, Jenny Wiley and other historical points of interest. I am interested in riding parts of the trail that Jenny Wiley took while she was running from the indians when she escaped them after they ambushed and masacred her family. Some great history and backcountry roads within Floyd, Johnson and Pike County. Give me a call at 304 426 4700 or send me and email at kt3mcc@aol.com Maybe we can get together and do some riding. I am currently tracking several areas with my gps while riding my bike and have put together as of now 5-6 good rides within this region which are all legal backcountry county roads including a few legal dirt roads. My Children are also married with the exception of my 18 year old daughter. I am 51 and ride a 2005 bmw f 650gs dakar which does great on and off road. I am located at downtown Matewan Wv. adjacent to the Hatfield McCoy Buffalo trail head. I also own property across the bridge in Pike County Ky. My webpage is www.hatfieldmccoyresort.com or www.hatfieldmccoyinn.com I am also working on a dual sports trail riding adventure listed and under construction at www.therealmccoytrails.com
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #32
jtwodogs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
That is great news. I went to your web-site, I have kayaks too, there are many great place I have been Kayaking around here. I too am 51 and have lived in this area since 1970. I grew up in the Wolfe Co. area. If you have never been to the Gorge area, or Natural Bridge there is some great riding over that way. The area you were talking about German Bridge I am very familar with. Hopefully I will have my bike soon, and we can take a ride or 2. I will send and email your way and get you in my address book.
jtwodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 966
Riverwolff & I stayed in Matewan with Don & Kathy at their fine Hatfield-McCoy Inn a few days ago. We were warmly welcomed, made to feel like family, and enjoyed a great stay at the inn, with accompanying dinner at their Wingo's restaurant. Our room was neat, clean, spacious...perfect for traveling motorcyclists to lay out gear, etc. The room even had a large checkers board in it. We spent great time with Don & Kathy talking trails, history, etc.

We would have loved to stay longer, and hope to return someday. We recommend stopping by and looking them up if you're ever in the area!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
The Real McCoy OP
The Real McCoy

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
Riverwolff & I stayed in Matewan with Don & Kathy at their fine Hatfield-McCoy Inn a few days ago. We were warmly welcomed, made to feel like family, and enjoyed a great stay at the inn, with accompanying dinner at their Wingo's restaurant. Our room was neat, clean, spacious...perfect for traveling motorcyclists to lay out gear, etc. The room even had a large checkers board in it. We spent great time with Don & Kathy talking trails, history, etc.

We would have loved to stay longer, and hope to return someday. We recommend stopping by and looking them up if you're ever in the area!
It was great to have yall as guest. I would have never dreamed that people would ride motorcycles for 4+ months as yall have been doing and would have never ever thought riders would come here to little Matewan WV all the way from California. I felt as though I should have given yall a better price (although we provided a discount). Guess I was not thinking straight and wanted yall to have our best room on Main/Mate Street. We have a bunker suite that sleeps 6 person's adjacent to where yall stayed for 15 bucks per night per person with a minimum of 4 perons or 60.00 per night. I am a bit new to the ADV Rider Club and will always try and honor ADV riders. It sounds great to have friends nation wide that agree to help each other to help make such adventure trips posible. Yall are very tough riders by leaving here on bikes heading to Lexington KY with a 95% chance of rain and or thunder storms virtually present on the weather channel. If you and your husband ever pass this way again stop by and say hello.

Wish I could find a spell check button on this page to help correct my spelling!
The Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
X1Glider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
You are in a great place to ride! I spent all of my summers growing up in Beckley and learned to ride in the dirt there (friend's dad owned the Honda shop there back then). Last time I was out that way I played around at Burning Rock. Fun place except for the side by sides and quads. I wanted to do the HC but my buddy didn't have a road legal dirt bike so I never researched the trails. Just good to ride with him regardless. I'll be stopping in Beckley first weekend of September on my way to Newfoundland/Labrador.