Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
ReinierH OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
BMW R80 G/S transmission malfunction

Hi All,

I recently took the covers off my R80 G/S to get back in the saddle this summer. I ran her in stationary for a while, then changed the oil, also in the gearbox, started her up and discovered when trying to ride off that the clutch is not functioning :-( I am unfamiliar with much of the terminology here so bear with me. Clutch cable is fine, nor has it been adjusted in any way since I last rode the bike before winter. When I engage the clutch I can feel that the spring inside the gearbox is functioning, feels about the same as what I am used to on this bike. I can see the lever leading to the back of the gearbox depressing as well. However, when engaging clutch and shifting into 1st it literally pops into 1st straight away, like there is no decoupling going on inside the gearbox. Shifting up carefully I do not go straight into 2nd but can get there via neutral, all the way up to 5. Obviously I've tried this only twice to see whats happening, as this will not be good for the gears :-/ Tried finding any threads along these lines but so far no luck. No idea what this could be, though that is little surprise since I am very much a novice with bike mechanics, let alone gearbox mechanics :-P For some reason I can't believe this is something serious, after all, I was riding it fine without any problems till the moment I put her in storage for the winter, then again what do I know... Has anyone got any clue as to what this may be and what the severity of the situation could be? Your feedback is very much appreciated! Thanks :-)

Regards,
Reinier
ReinierH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
The clutch plate has rusted to the pressure ring. Get a running start, pushing or coasting up to a speed at which it will accept first gear, with the clutch lever pulled in. Chances are the clutch will free up very quickly.

The next problem is that if the clutch parts have rusted, so have its splines.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,183
Not really sure from your description, but it sounds like your clutch is stuck from sitting, which is not uncommon. Try putting it in gear (engine off) and rocking the bike back and forth, somewhat hard. This may free things up. Another method is to do a ignition off bump-start of the bike, in second gear. You could alternatively bump-start it, ignition on, or get it rolling while running and pop it into gear and then ride it, which will generally take care of the problem, but you run the risk of coming to a stop and still having the clutch stuck, so I prefer the engine off methods unless you have a safe, no stops, no traffic area to do the running fix.

edit: bmwrench posted whilst I was typing . . .
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
ReinierH OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Talking

Haha! Great, tried rocking it first, then did a running start, drove around in 1st for a bit, got it to 2nd then when I was about to feel disappointed shifted down back into 1 and it loosened up! Great advice! Thanks to both of you gentlemen...The Sun is out so I'm off for my first ride of the year, thanks to you...

Take care and best regards!
Reinier
ReinierH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,803
High humidity here; took the RS out for the first time in while-same thing happened.