Diesel 1/2 ton from Dodge

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RxZ, Feb 14, 2013.

1. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
  2. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who is this "Dodge" company? New players in the truck market? I'd heard that Ram Trucks was going to be doing something like this, but Dodge beat them to it? I'll have to look into it.

MV
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:

"The 3.0-liter turbocharged V6 based on the one offered in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and is connected to an 8-speed automatic transmission.

The engine is rated at 240 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque in the Grand Cherokee, which has a tow rating of 7,400 pounds. The Cherokee has an estimated highway fuel economy rating of 30 mpg,"

Cool! :thumb
  4. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I agree. The 6-speed manual would make this a really attractive small truck. It will probably be offered the second or third year of the model.
  6. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    I'm going to guess the whole point of an 8 speed automatic is to keep the RPM's right at 1900 or so, making the efficiency and torque all it can be.

Tough to do with a stick - you'd be rowing that thing like a canoe!

About damn time some US automakers started offering smaller diesels in a pickup. Not everybody needs 800+ ft.lbs of torque - and the 15 mpg that goes with it.
  7. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Some of us enjoy that sort of thing... :thumb
  8. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Separated at birth

Oddometer:
    Seems they may be going after the Furd EcoBoost arena.

Makes me wonder who builds the engine for them. Certainly not Japanese because most of their 3.0 are inline 6 not v6.

hmm....
  9. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duh..... Our "cutting edge" country is finally going to start getting light diesels...HOraaY!
    These smaller diesels have been the NORM all over Europe for decades. We have been denined for years for no apparent reason.

If you rent a car anywhere in the E.U. (that means European Union for those who only know about what happens in the world via NBC,CBS,ABC,and Fox), it will most likely be a diesel that gets @ least 35mpg.

Thanks Dodge/ RAM for opening the curtain to us (U.S.):clap
  10. elzebub

elzebub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori
  11. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    Do you know why you have been denied these for years?
  12. Ursa Major

Ursa Major Bemused

Oddometer:
    In what parallel universe is this a "small truck"? I picked up a Honda Ridgeline at year end 2011 as a tax purchase because it was the only truck with a 6000 lb. GVWR that would fit in my garage. A Ram half-ton wouldn't come close. I'm glad they're building it, though, diesels make all sorts of sense in pickups.
  13. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    The Cummins inline-six has to be a cheaper engine to build than the V, and it wouldn't be hard to just have a standard output version which could hit those lower hp/torque numbers.

My guess is that the release of this VM Motori engine will coincide with the Cummins going WAY up market price-wise.
  14. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it will be interesting to see what the real world mileage on this is. I'm always skeptical of some of the mileage claims that are put out for some of the diesels
  15. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sure it can get 30 MPG, of urea.
  16. McNeal

McNeal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you read about the new Dodge 3500. They've beefed up the transmission, frame, suspension and boosted the Cummins to 850 ft.lbs. The Dodge's trailing rating is 30,000lbs which is 6900lbs more than its nearest competitor. That's not the combined weight mind you, that's just the trailer weight. I wonder when they're going to start building these "1 ton" pickups with air brakes.

Back on topic. I didn't see tow ratings for the 1500. I'm guessing it's no different than the gas version, but would be nice to know. Sounds like it'll be a sweet truck.
  17. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the company that put the little 4 cylinder diesel in the Jeep Patriot? I looked long and hard at those - but there were so many problem reports on the web that I kinda got scared away. I wonder how the V6 version is doing in the GC.
  18. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    In the universe where men use thier pickups for working. The universe where a 3/4-ton is the entry level truck that can do the job of pulling trailers full of horses or cows or tractors or round bales or construction tools.

In this universe:
    [​IMG]

:deal
  19. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
  20. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer: