dr650 supermoto cheaply

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mitchell93, Nov 3, 2010.

1. mitchell93

mitchell93 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I have a '06 dr650 and would like to (cheaply) turn it into a more street oriented bike. I have looked all over the web about changing both wheels to get a wider back tire, but that will get expensive fast. I would like to keep my back tire and just put a street tire on that, and get a 17 or 19" for the front. The things i need help with is getting a cheap front tire (spoked or cast, cast might look wierd with only the front cast) that i don't have to do much customizing, and maybe one that i don't have to do too much adjusting to the brake assembly.

I also want to know if i can keep and adjust the stock speedo, or if not getting the small, cheap one from procycle.

Thanks,
    Erik
  2. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    You may want to try to contact inmate "goodcat8".

He did a (I believe) 17/19 set-up, utilizing the stock rear rim. It turned-out to be one of the better-lookin' DR sumos. And, he rode the hell outta' that thing.

As his screen-name implies, he is a pretty good dude. I am sure he would be happy to share some of the wisdom he gained along the way.

Good luck.

3. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you have to buy at least one rim. Buy a wide rim to lace up to the rear hub. Relace the stock rear rim on the front hub. There you go. Now you have proper 17" sumo wheels.
    I think the stock front brake works fine for street riding, (if you are going on the cheap). A braided steel brake line for the front would help a little.