Fuel Pump Driver Failed on an 08 R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Tantalum Kid, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tantalum Kid

Tantalum Kid n00b

Oddometer:
    250 km into a weekend trip my bike wouldn't run. It would start, rev-out or idle for about 2 seconds, but wouldn't run. This happenned for about 30 starting attempts. After that all it would do is crank over, but not start. There were no warning or fault codes on the dash. BTW it was raining off-and-on all day.:cry

Thanks to BMW roadside assistance the bike was trucked to a dealer (about a 200 km tow). The dealer diagnosed the situation as a faulty fuel pump electronic controller - aka fuel pump driver - and a replacement is currently on order (2 week delivery).

A little research revealed these controllers became wet due to a flawed o-ring seal. However, this situation was reported in 2005 and one might assume that this had been fixed for the 08 models.

1. Can anyone report this happenning to other 08-R1200GSs?
    2. Is it possible to carry out a road-side replacement of the fuel pump electronic controller?

Jim
  2. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    In the US it's a recent recall, number 09V319000 affecting '06-'08 R1200 GS.
  3. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to BMW ! Lol, my 07 had the upgraded o-ring and yet it leaked water, shorted out and stranded me on the freeway in Louisiana one hot summer day in rush-hour traffic.

Be warned that even the "fix" from the factory may not work. Another thread outlines the procedure for by-passing a failed controller and direct wiring the pump like on the 1150 series. That by-pass may save a lot of pain and heartache the next time it lets you down.
  4. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    If your dealer will give you the failed part you can make an emergency bypass with it very easily and then stick it in your under-seat tray, that's what I've done after being turned into a pedestrian twice.

BTW, once you have a bypass under your seat (and know how to use it) it will never fail again.
  6. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Hey has anybody actually talked to BMW NA or BMW Motorrad about how the replacement controllers will stop the water damage generated failures of the controllers?

I read the letter from Jan Urbahn from BMW NA to NHTSA. Check out his title: General Manager; Safety Enginering and Intelligent Transportation Systems! The letter is weak and doesn't specify how the controller will be modified to preclude these failures.

I mean WTF....this is another absurd issue that should not be an issue.
  7. Delawarerider

Delawarerider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine failed last week. Dealer called today and its fixed. I love the fact that my '07 GS is being repaired, but why the hell does it keep breaking down. Fork seals, key antenna ring, rear main engine seal, two final drive seals and now this fuel pump problem. What will fail next?
  8. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    To be honest I don't believe that the fuel controller failures are due to water or corrosion, I think that the part fails due to overheating.
  9. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    You are probably right. I guess I should be filling the flange with water to keep it cool! :lol3
  10. Tantalum Kid

Tantalum Kid n00b

Oddometer:
    "Get this bypass cable from a fellow forum member,in case you have future issues:
    http://www.burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php"

Thanks for the info on the bypass cable, and thanks to all that replied. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Also, this may explain the long delivery for the replacement fuel pump controller, i.e. high demand.

The image of the failed controller shown on the page with bypass cable seams to have a lot of electronics inside. How complicated is this device? Especially if can be bypassed by a connection to the battery. Looks like its more than just a relay.

Jim
  11. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's reported job is to reduce power (voltage?) to the fuel pump as full power is not needed once the fuel system is pressurized. The reported reason for doing this is to lessen wear and tear on the fuel filter that is an integral part of the fuel pump. Other models have an external, replaceable fuel filter and do not use the controller. When you bypass the controller with the cable you are running full power all the time.

I'm just parroting things I've read... I really don't have a clue as to how much of that is factual. :eek1 OK, I really don't have a clue. :deal
  12. jpooch00

jpooch00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it's just OVER-doing what it was intended to do. If it shuts down the fuel pump altogether, it'll NEVER wear out - thus it'll have an infinite life expectancy!!! :evil
  13. Delawarerider

Oddometer:
    Yeah and if you never start the bike, it'll last forever too. But WTF good is it. I certainly don't want to have to by-pass a non functioning item that shouldn't FAIL in the first place. Maybe I shouldn't be riding a BMW because I really don't want to have to jerry rig the bike in some parking lot after it crapped out again. This is my first BMW so I may not be up to speed on my obligation to study motorcycle mechanics in order to survive.

I was actually hoping to just ride the thing and enjoy it. I think I'll inquire about an extended warranty.
  14. jpooch00

Oddometer:
    You're completely justified in your frustration IMO. I'm waiting on a 2010 myself and have been essentially doing a crash course in the basics on how to keep it running. No way can I afford $100/hr to pay some dealer tech to do half-assed repairs/tune-ups on it all the time for the general stuff.

As far as the major repairs are concerned, I've decided that when I'm negotiating the final deal on the bike, if they won't throw in the extended warranty for free, then I'm walkin'. Ya have to draw the line somewhere!
  15. Delawarerider

Oddometer:
    I wish I had that wisdom when I was buying
  16. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    I too bought an extended warranty that covers damn near everything...BUT the big picture is that the warranty will not help you one bit when you are stranded in BFE...I ride off road, solo, miles from communications so when it stops...I must plan on walking out without it or die in place...something to consider.
  17. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys, welcome to the club !!!! In just a little bit, some of the frequenters will pick up this thread and admonish you as just being a bunch of whiners ! lol

Its ridiculous. When my controller failed, there was noticeable water in the well where it sits. And, remember, I had the "upgraded" o-ring seal.

Yes, the whole purpose of this electronic controller gadget is to slow down the speed of the circulatory motor (fuel pump) so as to prolong filter life. Its the engineering mentality of the maker. Remember the servo brakes ? Answering questions that nobody was asking and making things overcomplicated.
  18. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    are the late '08 models affected too? The recall only says "early '08", were the later \08 and '09 models different in that maybe they don't have this controler? or did BMW buy a bunch of emergency jumpers and install them on the newer models? I bought mine in march '08. but don't know the production date.
  19. jpooch00

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm TOTALLY with ya on that! I keep tryin' to convince myself to just go for it & worry about it stranding me when it happens. Don't know if I'm gonna be able to pull that off and really enjoy riding it far from home with that in the back of my mind constantly though. It really is amazing how these bikes maintain their popularity with all the same continuing unaddressed problems and horror stories on the forums year after year.

'Course Harley was exactly the same way, quality-wise, until just recently and they sold 'em as fast as they could build 'em too. I guess brand loyalty is the driving force behind it, that's all I can think of that would account for it.

Also, it may be that many, if not most, folks just buy these bikes are just assuming that for a premium amount of money they'll get a super high quality product from reading the propaganda and outright lies contained in the sales brochures. Who knows...
  20. jpooch00

Oddometer:
    Yeah? Well those "frequenters" that you're talkin' about, and I know you're right, can just bite my ass! What they have to say means nothing whatsoever to me. :D

I completely agree with you about the engineering mentality. You see it in everything these days. :cry

Ride safe & thanks for the support.

John