What Annoys you about your Adventure 1190?

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by sjp3003, Jul 1, 2013.

1. sjp3003

sjp3003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 1190 Adv is a great bike, the one of the best and most versatile I"ve owned since I bought my first bike 30 years ago. After picking mine up two days ago I've clocked 250 miles on highways, mountain twisties, dirt roads and a bit of mud and noted the following annoyances:

1. The bike sounds like a blender grinding rocks when I decelerate. It seems something is resonating (maybe a panel) in the fairing area. Has anyone pinpointed this?

2. The turn signal switch does not give good feedback...I am never sure if I have actually activated or cancelled it so I find myself having to look down at the instrument cluster to see if it is blinking or has actually been canceled.

3. The windscreen is inadequate for highway riding...I am 6' and although I don't have heavy buffeting above 80 mph, it gets noisy. I had put higher screens on my former 9X0"s and will be doing so on this bike too.

4. I find my boots sometimes slide off the pegs when standing....this did not happen on the 990 and 950. Those rubber inserts may be coming off.

These are minor complaints, kind of like saying a beautiful woman has an ugly big toe.

What annoys you about your 1190?
  2. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only done about 100 klm s n mine and love it but. That massive fat exhaust has gotta go. I will try and find someone to make a twin system for it.
    I don't think it's the prettiest bike around, but then i own Vstrom as well so am quite familiar with Unnatractive bikes.
    And i have noticed quite a lot of heat on my left leg. That might become an issue in our warm summers.

Other than that I love it handling, comfort and power are superb.
  3. Flyphil

Flyphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello from France,
    got my 1190 R for 6 days and 800km now. What a bike, I love it!
    I also noticed that the high of left leg seems to warm, and my back also with standard seat. Will try to insulate the seat.
    Windscreen is too small but I new it, and the higher model will be installed this week.
    Sorry for my poor english...
    Flyphil
  4. igorpetrovich

igorpetrovich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've done 8000km with my R, it is a fantastic bike!
    there is only one issue with the heat on the left leg when the temperature is above 30°. I solved it by putting a plastic barrier 10 cm hight that allows the hot air to move back before going up.
    I mounted the high screen the other day because I'm leaveing tomorrow for Croazia. It is perfect on the motorway but.... at high speed the bike is more instable, expecially in it's higer position (with pennires). At around 180 km/h the bike starts to wave, this is someting that with the low screen dosn't happen (I toke it to 250 without issues).
    After 7500km tires where gone, I'm now running on a new set.

Regarding the turn signal switch it's because it's new. After a while it works fine.
    Sätila and foggy bummer like this.
  5. Tancakar

Tancakar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    odo is 1350miles adventure 1190

the only annoying thing is the side stand for me!
    high speed was ok 100 mph it was stady but i think over 120mph with panniers isnt a very good idea .it wont be comfortable .
    screen is ok but not as good as gs water cooled
  6. paturoa

paturoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1. Mine doesn't on decel. Though at lower revs the engine noise is significant and smooths out at 3500 rpm.
    2. Turn signal only needs pressure and is rubbish. Its placement forces me to move my hand for a left turn and cancel.
    3. I've got a R version with the short screen and have ordered the high one so I'll see how that goes.
    4. No for boots slipping.

What annoys me?
    5. Crap side stand
    6. Crap horn
    7. The exhaust is exposed behind the rhs foot peg and I've brushed my leg against it a couple of time and melted my wets (it is rainy season down here). Needs another / longer heat shield there.
    8. The exhaust can heat shield is too short and my soft luggage will melt if I use them.
  7. sjp3003

sjp3003 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree eith the horn...I need ro get a good Fiamm that fits in the same space.
  8. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    It annoys me the OC is turning into the GSpot.
  9. JBird

JBird Retriever

Oddometer:
    That mine isn't in the country yet!!!!
  10. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amen.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
  11. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    side stand is fine when fitting camel toe
    flasher switch just needs getting used to

only things that irritate me,
    that the DLR light setting does not remain in "off" setting - I hear not all have that problem, so I will need to convince my dealer

rear brake lever too large, so needs to be made smaller or set lower, as right foot often rests on brake

exhaust and screen will be remedied
    Will only know about heat when summer arrives

Great bike!
  12. genghis9021

genghis9021 Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Target acquired. Fire. :)

Right on.
  13. happy pilgrim

happy pilgrim n00b

Oddometer:
    I have cured the DLR issue now, but not really sure what I have done? I manually set the DRL to off, and using trial and error held down various buttons on the controller whilst turning off ignition. This has cured it and DRL now stays off all the time. I think it was successful when i held down the up and down arrows whilst switching off ignition? Hope this helps!
  14. Bundu

Bundu KTM 1290SA

Oddometer:
    thanks!
    I will give it a try
  15. paturoa

paturoa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the issue too. I have no idea how I solved it. I just tried all combinations of ignition on, engine running. Kill switch on and off. One of those worked and the setting stuck after about a weeks fiddling.
  16. Gillberg375

Gillberg375 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That I've had mine almost a week and haven't yet ridden it.
    I'm getting great fuel economy though.
  17. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidestand,
    Horn button -The sound is better now for me; I don't know what the guys in the service did about it.
    and of course, since the first ever ride, never ending seat heating volcano hot rising from the engine.

Really, somebody -who can- has to get in touch with these brillant engineers in KTM and remind them that the northern, cooler part of the world is not the only place to ride these bikes, there is also a warmer southern hemisphere of the world. Can't imagine, I take a trip to Middle East on 1190.
  18. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    Even the motor oil is 10w50 fully synthetic , this is specially design for high tempreature running engines. The heat is annoying.
  19. umitc

umitc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    we have to make a petition and sign. :D:D:D:D:D
  20. Tancakar

Oddometer:
    Hahahah:rofl