good GPS

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by aklizzard, Aug 30, 2011.

1. aklizzard

aklizzard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any advice on a good gps to buy to puy on my bike (klr)
  2. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    Garmin 60CSx
  3. Doc Rich

Doc Rich Dance with the Angels

Oddometer:
    Garmin Zumo. Great on bike. Have had mine for 4 yrs and still going strong.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    KLR?? Get a sextant. :norton

Attached Files:

5. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a Garmin etrex Legend HCx that I've been really happy with. But just reciently upgraded to a Zumo.

Have handlebar mount

Give you a good deal

PM me
  6. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Now THAT was funny! :rofl
  7. alaskaOE

alaskaOE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll 2nd the Garmin 60CSx
  8. Logpile

Logpile Mr.V- or Drz

Oddometer:
    The Garmin Nuvi 500 is still a good buy. It is getting cheaper now with some of the new units being built.
    TouraTechy has a lockable mounting system that is nice and strong.

just my 2 cents...
  9. NJGreg

NJGreg 8UP

Oddometer:
    thats what i have been thinking of getting if i can save the coin up. waterproof, just not to sure about its ruggedness for offroad applications. although for me it would be street use.
  10. Logpile

Logpile Mr.V- or Drz

Oddometer:
    Mine has held up well for the past 3 years on bikes in sun and rain, and on my snowmobiles as well.
    It is waterproof, I can attest to that!

I have the TT mounts on both bikes with USB cables wired in to the ignition and a TT mount on the sled as well.
  11. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    I know it sounds crazy....but, the gps apps available for Android and Iphones seem to be superior to all this other stuff.....obviously a more weather proof and adv-proof housing mechanism is required....but, to give you an example, check out www.waze.com
  12. Logpile

Logpile Mr.V- or Drz

Oddometer:
    I think gps on the phones is based on the cell network. Do the phones have a receiver for the sig from the satillites?

Where I do most of my riding, cell phones do not work because of no coverage, and that would make th ephone GPS usless if it is relying on th ecell network with other cell phones using the same app for feedback on road conditions and traffic trough put.

I like my GPS...
    If I lived in an area with better cell coverage and more roads I would look at the waze app.
    Again this is just my 2 cents.

Log...
  13. subybaja

subybaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gen1 (aluminum) iPhone didn't, but all the newer ones do. Can't speak to how well they work, but they do have GPS antennas.
  14. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some phones lie my blackberry have satellite receivers to get the position, but they need a cell signal to get the information to draw the maps.
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    We need to get two GPS's, we were looking at the Zumo 660 but my dutch blood doesn't want stump that much.

We need something nice and readable and although the TT locking mounts are spendie I see them as a good investment.

Does anyone know the real world difference between the 550, 660 and 665? Other than wide screen.

Is the 220 any good? I am asking questions I didn't want to but I am not a GPS wiz .... in fact these will be our first GPS's EVER!!!
  16. richardak

richardak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1. I've had it for years and it has been bombproof. I use it on the bike, bicycle, hiking and in the truck. The only negative is that you have to purchase the street maps.
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

2nd.

I've used a Garmin all over north and south America but am a convert to the iPhone AT&T gps program. It's really good. I've also used it all over north America from east to west and had no problems at all. If it's tied in with the cellular network in some way I haven't noticed it and I'm pretty sure I've been outside of cellular coverage somewhere in that e/w jaunt.
  18. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    NUVI 550 (same as the 500 with a different map set) works well for me. I just use the standard RAM handlebar mount. The 550 doesn't mind vibrations, rough roads/trails or water, but I can't say the same for the USB power connection. It needs some work, but it's not hard to do. Here's what I did:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672276 (see post #2)

...........shu
  19. bug67

bug67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Comparison of Garmin Zūmo 550, 660 &665

Other than screen size, the Zūmo 550 has physical buttons to zoom in and out and select menu options with. The differences between the 660 and 665 is the 665 has satellite radio built in. The 660/665 also have a "posted speed limit" feature which the 550 does not.

If I had it to do over, I would've gone with the 660. I got the 550 because I thought a touch screen would be useless with gloves on. However, the 550 has touch screen too and I find myself never using the hard buttons. I would like to have the "posted speed limit" feature and could care less about satellite radio. 660 sounds perfect.

Anyhow, I have the Garmin Zūmo 550 mounted to the Tiger.

[​IMG]
  20. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
    No, phone gps using any google device goes to the google satellite. I record data all the time without cell service.