Booster plug observations

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by viz, Oct 15, 2011.

1. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    Well it works, there is no question of that. Smoother idle, better pull off the idle, no snatching. Much more "likeable" around town. Not sure if I get as much of the benefits as others as I suspect my machine is running a little richer than some, but certainly it does the job as advertised. Now we see how it goes on the open road, maybe next weekend...

But it does beg the question and maybe JVB can put his oar in here: riding Ms Piggy around town doing the chores, shopping etc, with the Booster Plug on I seem to recollect that it now feels a little more like just after I bought it i.e. now with 33,000km, before I installed the BP it was sluggish off the idle - a little boggy with throttle application at low revs etc.
    Should I be putting an injector cleaner in the fuel or something, or do an injector service at the next service? I get the strong feeling riding now with the BP installed that the BP is covering issues, maybe the injectors or something else...

Confused you? :lol3

viz
  2. charles960

charles960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are coming up on a service. Could be several maintenance type things to get little ms piggy back to form. Chevron Techron additive has always been my choice for cleaning the fuel injectors.

CB
  3. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
  4. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    My sensor is mounted past the canister on the frame away from the oil line and out of the flow from the oil cooler. Memo to Booster Plug man - can we have a teeny bit more length in the sensor cable next time - it would give us more options... I will splice a bit more line in later when I have more time and I think it should be OK where it is, but I would like it to be in the clear rather than inside the bodywork

viz
  5. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    My placement of BP...Pretty much in clean air...on inside and near front of air horn [AKA: Snorkel]...no real obstruction or engine heat and protected when my bike "takes rests" off road...I do like the BP; big help off road at slow speeds...waiting to order Poolside's ICE and Cool whenever they are available...

Canister?...don't need no stinkin' canister!...mine is long gone..
  6. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    viz said:
    [I get the strong feeling riding now with the BP installed that the BP is covering issues, maybe the injectors or something else...]

:nod

It ran better in the past w/o the gadget. Maybe all ms piggy needs is TB's cleaned, vacuum leaks fixed, fuel pressure restored, stick coils, ignition leads? What does a GS911 say about the Lambda?
  7. viz

viz I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer:
    If I had one I could tell ya :evil - methinks next service I am going to talk to the tech guys...

viz
  8. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Here is where I mounted mine -
    [​IMG]
  9. gonzo2k

gonzo2k Adliberator

Oddometer:
    I ziptied mine to the top of the snorkel to the airbox
  10. SLUGGO

SLUGGO A Lone Drifter

Oddometer:
    It seems like you would get quite a bit of heat from the oil cooler with it zip tied in that spot?????
  11. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Here's mine. Away from the oil cooler and the right cylinder heat.

[​IMG]
  12. Roadie

Roadie 2-Wheels Rule Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had my Booster Plug for quite a while now. Recently on a long trip my bike started to misfire at high rpm. I checked the Booster Plug and found that I had a frayed wire from my botched install. So I had to unplug it until I got it fixed and reinstalled.
    Wow! What a drag it is without it! I fixed that problem just as soon as I could. The bike was no where near a fun to ride without it. A huge difference from "Tame to Hooligan".
    I'm a happy customer.
  13. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Just installed my BP that I removed from my F800ST....at first I didn't think the GS really needed it, but after reading some posts on here I decided, what the heck, put it on. It's great...really smooths out the throttle inputs and low RPM cruising and adds a little power I think as well. Quite happy overall :D
  14. Marc - Australia

Marc - Australia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :norton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bit late, I know :cry
  15. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    I have put my hand down there while riding and doesn't seem to get hot at all - maybe there is enough air coming around from the sides? I've emailed Jens with a pic to see if that is an ok spot for it - we'll see what he says.

16. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    You're on to something right there. It pretty much doesn't matter where the sensor is when the bike is moving. I mean, don't strap it down to the oil cooler line, you know? :D When the bike is moving, even a few miles per hour, every location where there's room for a temp sensor is at ambient temperature.

It also doesn't matter where the sensor is located when the bike is standing still. Everyplace on the bike is hot when standing still. Radiant heating and convective heating, hot hot hot. But once you get moving again, everything cools right off.

<BR>
  17. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    Yep you are correct here is what Jens reply was.

"
    Yes, position is excellent.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Most people worry too much about this and want to have the sensor installed so it can look forward like the head lamp. No need for that, you followed the two basic rules, (No influence from engine heat, and a "some" air exchange, so you'll bee fine with the location you picked.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Best regards.
    Jens Lyck<o:p></o:p>

BoosterPlug.com<o:p></o:p></PRE>
    Lillemark 17</PRE>
    4990 Sakskøbing<o:p></o:p></PRE>
    Denmark<o:p></o:p></PRE>
    <o:p></o:p></PRE>
    Mail: jens@boosterplug.com<o:p></o:p></PRE>
    Web: www.boosterplug.com"<o:p></o:p></PRE><o:p></o:p>
  18. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Looks like we're all on the same page regarding sensor location.

<BR>