Typical a-hole trying to get out of ticket I deserve

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ride4fun562, Feb 5, 2014.

1. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy received what, a 300$ "speeding" ticket instead of a reckless driving citation (with much severe punishment) and you're here with nothing better than this suggestion?

Dear God.
  2. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    If I were you, I would follow buckthedog's advice to the tee. Being honest and humble will go a long way in traffic court. Drop all excuses and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

That cop was doing you a big favor. I don't think you should try to get it thrown out on a technicality. That might reflect badly on the officer, and make him less likely to go easy on people just having some fun in the future. Gone are the days when Andy Griffith can blip his siren and shake a finger at you. If you continued on your way and ran over a kid on the next block it would be his ass along with yours.

...and take that note off your mirror before you get another ticket. There is no way you will get off with a warning with that written on your mirror. :lol3
  3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get some grey hair and you can get quite a bit of it. But even in Mayberry you had Barney Fife.
  4. InsideThePerimeter

InsideThePerimeter North GA bound

Oddometer:
    Correct, you are not guilty of ANYTHING until you have had your "Due Process".

Do not roll over.

Exercise your right to Due Process & discourage Law Enforcement for profit.
  5. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another member of the sovereign citizen movement I guess? :norton
  6. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fight it. No questions asked. THat's one jacked up ticket. Let the cop explain to the judge all the doublespeak that's on the ticket.....not you.

On my tickets I always take them home and read them over and over looking for any mistakes THEY made. Got out of a couple of them by doing so. Hell, I don't document stuff exactly right at work and they don't either.
  7. CSI

CSI Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take it to court.....it is your right.

Maybe the judge will toss it, as there is no place with the speed limit is posted as zero. Or maybe, once he hears the Officers testimony, he will realize how big a break you were already given, and be predisposed to find you guilty on the remaining charge.

As far as mistakes on tickets: I stopped a guy for like 16 over, in a black 66ish Pontiac Tempest. On the ticket, I wrote Pontiac GTO.

THAT was why he took it to court....he kept hammering that it could not possibly have been him, as he owns a Tempest, and not a GTO.

The judge asked him if he owned a black 66 Pontiac.

He said "Yes."

Judge said "Guilty".

So......typos or other minor mistakes are not a guarantee of dismissal.
  8. Thanantos

Thanantos Ride hard.

Oddometer:
    Seriously?

Keep it in CS&M loco.
  9. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pay the ticket and be done with it. Karma can be a queen, or she can be a bitch. The cop gave you a break, don't screw him as a return favor. Will the ticket get thrown out if you pursue it? Yes, he wrote you a ticket for something you didn't do, he essentially lied, doing you an act of kindness, don't repay him like that. Karma will return the favor, somewhere, sometime. Appear in court, ask for a reduced fine due to income, but don't lie. Count yourself lucky, it could be far worse.

Get you wheelies in the dirt, no dirt? Sucks to be you, buy an econo Harley to help avoid the temptation:1drink
  10. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what about the mistake YOU made in the first place?
  11. feathered

feathered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He's just looking out for number one.
  12. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some peoples beliefs are disconnected from reality.

Someone willingly violates several laws, gets caught, is given a huge break, yet he should do all he can to disrupt the system because paying a fine is unjust?? :norton
  13. willierides

willierides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My standard advice for any ticket, and this is supported by advice given to me by law enforcement acquaintances AND successful outcomes in my own experience, is to show up in court, dress and act respecftully and plead for a lesser charge so as to not affect your insurance, ability to get to work, etc. They will usually compromise in some way, such as reducing the charge to a non-moving violation so you still pay a fine, but you get no points against your license and your insurance is not affected. Win win.

As far as the "zero speed limit" stuff.....at least here in NY.....if you get a break from the officer, they can reinstate the original charge if they so choose. I was pulled over for speeding and given a break when he gave me a ticket for having rubber bands on my rear view mirror (obstructed view). He was very clear that he was cutting me a break but if I contested the ticket he could, and would, revert to the original infraction.

This thread reminds me of a similar "teachable moment" when my son got a second speeding ticket (when he was younger and a new driver) in the exact same spot where he had just recently got his first one. He was mad....at the cops! Ha ha. When he realized that he was mad at THEM for catching HIM twice....even he had to kind of laugh and suck it up. You have to be smart enough to pick your battles and to pick what gambles you're willing to take. If you lose, man up and suck it up. Be honest, respectful and try to get some mercy from the court. They're not stupid, they can see when someone's just trying to get one over on them.

The fact remains that if you think the laws don't apply to you, you're wrong. If it takes several tickets to keep illustrating it until you learn, you learn slowly. If you can't afford the game, don't play.

As John Wayne supposedly said, "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid".
  14. gastone

gastone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't get in from the beginning with all of the trolling and name calling and what have you, but this is just plain sound advice. Show up in court, as it's your right and you are paying court costs whether you're there or not. Be polite, dress cleanly, but don't over do it. Remember your place, you're not a bigshot trying to impress, you're a citizen looking for leniency. Don't dispute the deputy as IMO it's their opinion that matters. The judge will ask the deputy what happened, were you cooperative and respectful. They keep notes on their citations. He may not remember you explicitly, but you don't want his notes saying you were an argumentative, defiant prick. If neither the judge nor the deputy suggest driving improvement school, you ask if it's a possibility in lieu of a moving violation citation. If you are polite in court, worst that happens is they say no... pay the original fine and go away. Best case scenario is you get off with taking a bs online driver improvement class which you can find for like $35 and court costs. You'll be in it for $100, with no points, no insurance hit. Count your lucky stars if that's the case and be a little bit more careful when lofting the front wheel.

Don't even get me started with the, 'suck it up and pay' crowd. Morans.
  15. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you don't understand the trolling and name calling, then you finish with calling people names? ...and just an fyi, when you question someone's intelligence, spelling such a simple word as MORON doesn't give you credibility.

Yes, I am on the 'just pay it' crowd, mostly because my time is worth more to me than any silly traffic ticket fine. Oddly enough, when I was old enough to stop worrying about the financial hit of tickets, I stopped getting them. For me it's about knowing when I can speed and do crazy shit and not have anyone see me...but I'm just a moran, according to you:rofl.
  16. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun costs money sometimes.
  17. Dusty1013

Dusty1013 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So does stupidity.
  18. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    A traffic ticket is nothing more than the consequence of having inadequate situational awareness.

Treat the disease not the symptom, ride within your ability to perceive your enviroment.
  19. El Pescador

El Pescador Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not Texas. We have terribly high taxes, the cops are all jerks, and there aren't any jobs. The kid needs to stay where he is.
  20. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    There is no was any of this is your fault as you lack the mental capacity to be held responsible for anything.