Spotwalla Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by 1200gsceej, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    OK, there's a "Great Big SPOT Thread".
    I think there should be a "Spotwalla Thread", too.
    (Moderators, do your thing!)

SpotWalla - NEW ADV Location Page -- http://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=45
    discussion thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633556

Spotwalla embedding in AdvRider posts -- http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16317266#post16317266

SpotWalla access to my SPOT messages:
    Question:
    To get my SPOT message data into Spotwalla, I need to create a public SPOT shared page which Spotwalla can access.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Spotwalla provides lots of security features.<o:p></o:p>
    But what about this public SPOT page with all my information which now presumably anyone can search/find?
    That seems to be a big (security/privacy) hole and is confusing to me.<o:p></o:p>
    Can someone please explain?<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks!<o:p></o:p>
    -ceej
    =========
    I got this reply from Jason at SpotWalla Support (Thanks, Jason!)

To my knowledge SPOT Shared Pages cannot be searched. Additionally, the ID used isn't easily determined or hacked for a particular user.
    As long as the shared page URL is only used to configure the XML Interface in SpotWalla, the security risk is mitigated. Additionally, SpotWalla uses HTTPS when polling SPOT for new messages. This ensures the location information is secured over the wire.
    Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
    Jason
  2. EdOriginal

EdOriginal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One question:

Do you have to have a Spot Account set up in order use Spotwalla?
  3. 1200gsceej

Oddometer:
    My (limited) understanding - NO.
    See: http://spotwalla.com/help/devices.php ==>

Currently, SpotWalla supports the following devices and location interfaces:
    • SPOT Personal Tracker
    • Google Latitude
    • Yahoo! Fire Eagle
    However, if you have and want to use a SPOT then you need a SPOT account from which SpotWalla can get your messages.

4. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to respond to this thread, only to see that you've linked to threads I've posted in. :lol3

Jamie
  5. 1200gsceej

Oddometer:
    (1) - If I want to define a trip but I don't know exactly when it will end, is it as simple as just picking a date 'far in the future'?

(2) - Also, can I define trips with overlapping dates, and the points/messages show up in both trips?

(3) - So (finally), could I then define an "all messages" trip whose tart date is when I got my SPOT, and whose end date is 12/31/2099?

thanks,
    -ceej
  6. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    You can edit the dates of the trip via the website at any time. Though I haven't run multiple trips with overlapping dates, I strongly suspect that it'd work fine.

I think you could set up a life-time tracker like you suggest, though again, I'm not sure. I've seen a number of examples of people setting up year-long Spotwalla maps.

Jamie
  7. firemedic3293

firemedic3293 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just activated my SPOT 2 about 2 hrs ago. What benefit does SPOTWalla offer over the provided SPOTAdventures.com? just trying to determine if it is necessary to have both or SA will work.
  8. Jamie Z

Oddometer:
    Well, since nobody else has responded... I have to point out that I've only used a Spot one time, and I did not use the Spot website, so I know very little about it.

From what I gather, the big advantage to Spotwalla is that the user interface is better and has more features. You can embed your map into a web page for example. You can have a number of people shown on the same map, most recently used during the IBR, many of the competitors were shown on the same map.

You can also set areas to avoid. During Nick Sanders record run (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694112) it was posted in the thread that during certain times, his Spot page would be made private for safety reasons. If they'd used Spotwalla, they could have set up regions where this happened automatically.

You can set up multiple trips, and they're saved indefinitely.

I have no idea if those features are available on the Spot page, but I suspect they aren't, thus the need for a third party website.

Plus, I can use Spotwalla, and I don't even use a Spot!

Jamie
  9. Fantastic Mister Fox

Fantastic Mister Fox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly certain it's a problem with my laptop rather than spotwalla but at the moment all the embeded spotwalla maps i have looked at including the one my website (http://www.mudandknobblies.co.uk/sta...p/where-are-we) are showing up blank.

The bar at the top is there with history and % fill options but where the map should be is totally white and blank.

It doesn't work on chrome or IE on my laptop or my work computer but works fine on Mrs Fox's laptop. any help please?? I can veiw the spotwalla map on it's on url ( https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=5ea5511acd94619e8 ) but all the embeded maps I know of are coming up blank
  10. jasonJonas

jasonJonas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This was actually my issue. In switching over to an all HTTPS site I missed a URL in the embedder. It's fixed now and everything should be working optimally.

Jason
  11. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to bring this back from the dead I guess. I just signed up on the new Spotwalla page and have my iPhone connected via SWConnect. When I build a trip how does it start marking locations and applying messages? Will it automatically identify any pings/tracks and messages during the time period I set for the trip as part of that trip?
  12. wbrisett

wbrisett hmmm.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess it's my turn to bring this thread back from zombie land...
    Are there any good tutorials or documentation on using Spotwalla? I added my Zoleo the day and I have a trip coming up in India that I want to share. I'm trying to decide how to best do that via Spotwalla since the Zoleo mapping is pretty lame. It looks like I should be creating a 'trip', but also looks like I might be able to just give them the link for Zoleo. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  13. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure there are any dedicated tutorials, etc. but Spotwalla is very easy to use.
    1. ensure your device (Zoleo in your case) is set up to share the raw KMl feed.
    2. make sure that you put that link in your Spotwalla setup.
    3. Create a trip - simply name and define the start and stop dates.
    4. within that trip, there is a link you can use to share your track with anyone you want. Simply copy the link address and send it out via email or text.
    5. You can create whatever sub trips you want with the same data. eg. I set up one trip for the whole year with start being Jan 1 and end being Dec 31 named "all year" I then create subtrips by using different start/stop dates and naming the actual trip. Within these subtrips is a link you can share with others if you don't want them to see the whole year.
    wbrisett and mbabc like this.