Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #7006
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I stand corrected, Wayne! Strange, though, that the 3-step procedure worked on my '13 Sertao twice when I had that problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
WindowTo keeps me corrected well and PeteHK at f650 is also a good one to keep me on the straight and narrow

Re it working, perhaps the throttle was not fully returning and that is what cleared the fault, all the 650GS's are not the best with the throttle cable routing
Old Today, 04:42 AM   #7007
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Does the oil check procedure reset anything? I know some EFI bikes reset when idling with no throttle input, which is recommended after adding a slipon for some makes.

I find it interesting that the oil change procedure specifies 3 minutes after the fan kicks on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:01 AM   #7008
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Does the oil check procedure reset anything? I know some EFI bikes reset when idling with no throttle input, which is recommended after adding a slipon for some makes.

I find it interesting that the oil change procedure specifies 3 minutes after the fan kicks on...

I believe that is AT LEAST 3 minutes. Which means that they want the engine nice and hot. So, if you check the oil after an hour, or a day of riding, you should be good.

I don't think the oil checking procedure resets anything, but the fact that the engine is idling, does.

Here I yeald to Wayne:).
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #7009
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

The leave vehicle idling to recalibrate devices procedure is common on modern "learning" ECU's both car and bike

The BMSC builds adaption values for the idle actuator after an actuator adaption reset and the US BMW dealer TSB 1300303 (051) explains it.
TSB 13-003-01 (022) has a lot more info but is not on line

Here is a section of the oil filling/overfilling TSB

Procedure: It is essential to remind all F 650 and K 1200 S customers of the need to follow the specific procedure, noted below, for checking the oil level of a motorcycle with a dry-sump lubrication.

Make sure that the engine is at operating temperature when the oil is checked, preferably after a ride of at least 20 miles.

After the engine has reached operating temperature, allow it to idle for one minute, before checking the oil level.

Without this precaution there is a possibility that the reading will indicate an oil level lower than the true level.
During the one minute wait, the motorcycle must remain upright and stationary on level ground. Do not put the motorcycle on the side stand.

Turn off the engine and check the oil level without moving the motorcycle. If the motorcycle does not have a sight glass, check the oil level with the oil dip stick.

1) Remove and clean the dip stick.
2) Place the dip stick back in the filler neck, resting it on the top of the oil filler neck.
3) Do not screw the dip stick into the filler neck to read the engine oil level.
4) Remove the dip stick and read the oil level.
5) Adjust the oil level as necessary. 6) Install the dip stick in the filler neck tightening as required.

It is worthwhile bookmarking the F650.com TSB FAQ, many apply to all subsequent models with the same engine/BMSC etc

WayneC1 screwed with this post Today at 05:33 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #7010
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

It's probably my imagination, but letting it idle for several minutes (usually when checking the oil), seems to make the bike run a little smoother when outdoor temperatures have changed a lot.

Interesting that the service bulletin above suggests a decent length ride before checking oil.

Old Today, 06:39 AM   #7011
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's probably my imagination, but letting it idle for several minutes (usually when checking the oil), seems to make the bike run a little smoother when outdoor temperatures have changed a lot.

Interesting that the service bulletin above suggests a decent length ride before checking oil.
Even more interesting and amusing is the first batch of Dakars to hit Oz were with us on a BMW organised ride, we stopped overnight at the highest point in Oz and a cold change and snow storm hit overnight. The Dakars either did not start or had trouble starting the next morning, it was one of the firmware bugs in them, probably associated with adaptions. There is still a lot to learn about how they adapt and when etc
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #7012
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Whether it's officially known or not, I am just going to make sure i follow the manual procedure oil change regularly. The bike hasn't been an oil burner at all, but if it may be helping with engine performance too due to resets, then all the better

Old Today, 08:03 AM   #7013
windowto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Quote:
Whether it's officially known or not, I am just going to make sure i follow the manual procedure oil change regularly. The bike hasn't been an oil burner at all, but if it may be helping with engine performance too due to resets, then all the better

Gundy,

It is not the oil change, but the idling that does the reset.
windowto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:51 AM   #7014
ibgary
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Started but was stalling on the way to work. Waiting for roadside assistance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #7015
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Gundy,

It is not the oil change, but the idling that does the reset.

Typo- oil check process - meaning 3+ minutes of idle. Obviously draining oil has nothing to do with this.

Old Today, 11:42 AM   #7016
homme de fer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Has anyone changed the grip warmer switch to something aftermarket? Mine stopped working properly last year and now doesn't work at all. I'm debating whether to get the OEM replacement or if an inmate tried something different.
homme de fer is offline   Reply With Quote