LED Dimmer on 2005 450 EXC Help Please!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HooliKen, Mar 21, 2014.

1. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    I recently did a winter rehab on my much loved 05 450 EXC. One of the things I needed was better lighting. I added a BD rewound stator and R/R. 10mm led aux lights and a Baja Squradon LED. Running all through a Skene IQ-175 dimmer. Have all power coming straight from the battery running through a Trailtech 3 position switch that was originally connected to an X2 Halogen. I am seeing 16 to 17V running at the battery, and around 15V when the lights are at full power.

Here's the issue. When on any of the lower settings (less then retina burn) the aux lights and the squadron will randomly flash to full power. I have tried all the suggestions from Skene on different wiring configurations but the issue persists.

1. Could an issue with either the stator or R/R cause this flashing?
    2. Does the ground from the stator harness now have to go directly to the battery? I have it going to the frame at the coil like stock.

Starts and runs fine but I know this flashing will bring unwanted attention besides being incredibly annoying.

Any and all suggestions, comments, ideas are more than welcome.

Cheers Ken
  2. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    i thought rewound stators and r/r's turned the bike into a DC only electrical deal?
  3. HooliKen

Oddometer:
    You are correct. So disregard that part......:lol3 I am rolling to night shift and not exactly at 100% yet.....going to change the original post.

Cheers
  4. clapped_r6

clapped_r6 The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer:
    16 or 17 volts is way too high.

r/r is probably bad, spending time with multimeter you will
  5. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Double check your ground on the RR, as mentioned that's too high at the battery, you may have an issue where the RR is unable to dump the excess voltage to ground. Usually that's done through the RRs physical attachment to the frame but some RRs have a separate ground wire. All should be bolted to a location on the frame that's free of paint (bare metal).

Also just to make sure it's not the LED system I'd connect up a stock light temporarily and see if it gives you the same symptoms.
  6. crypto666

crypto666 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What kind of battery?
    Those look like the voltages I saw on my bike when I have no loading using the 250W Tymphanium R/R. I have no idea why. So I threw in a capcitor and resistor to smooth out and dump a little voltage. It seems some of these setups need a full time load to keep them working correctly.

I think the lithium based cells will actually charge that high, where as lead acid not so much. However, they also become unusable after a bit of over charging.
  7. HooliKen

Oddometer:
    Will double check the contact with frame since I did have the frame coated.

Running a Motobatt AGM. Have had excellent luck with them in all my bikes, and favor reliability over weight savings. May get a lithium to run during the summer months.