Female looking for riding company and traveling advice

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Ingrid, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Victoria, B.C. on July 10th for 20 days of R&R. My destination is Utah, but I will be passing through parts of B.C., Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Nevada, and Oregon States. I will be riding my KTM 950.:wings

I am looking for advice on "must see" roads, places, any upcoming rallies I might make it to, etc. I am interested in riding gravel roads in good condition (as I don't have huge gravel road experience, but I did the 25 miles from Conconully Lake to Loomis in Washington State a couple of weeks ago without dropping my bike and since feel inspired). Free camping advice would be nice. Suggestions? Offers? What about a shared pub meal and some icy cold beers after a long ride.:beer You could tell me what places I "have to see"..., the back roads that the common travel brochures don't tell you about, that would be most appreciated. p.s. I own the Destination Highways series - very useful!!

I know B.C. well, but the other places I am still learning about. I haven't a fixed itinerary, but I do have some ideas as I have been pouring over maps at this end, and I have travelled to all of these states in varying amounts. I find myself struggling to find maps on the internet that show detailed gravel roads. I might just have to wing that part.

If you want to hook up and ride a bit with me, that could be fun. I just did a 5 day stint through Washington, and I was a bit taken aback at how long I felt I had been away once I was back home (felt like 3 weeks!!). It can get lonely on the road and well nothing like a bit of company to make the trip that much more memorable.

I plan on buying a cellphone once I cross into the USA and I will have my partner post my tel.# here and I can receive communications that way. My husband is staying behind and can post my progress and you can follow my trip that way too, as I will be passing through towns too small to access the internet. You can try calling me on my cell phone when you know I will be in your town, or close to it. I hope that makes sense. He is on this site and his name here is "Deuce". I hope this information helps you to help me, so to speak. TIA!! Hopefully, I'll see a few of you on the road. Look for the ADV sticker on my bike. Cheers! :rayof
  2. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    Most of the areas you will be riding in will not have cell service. Not a bad idea to have one, but if you absolutely have to make calls, get a calling card too. Even some of the small towns you go into will not have service.

Fenders Ferry road and Hennes Pass Road are great routes over the Sierra's

Nevada is heaven for great graded hard pack stuff and tons of hot springs, but gas can be a little tricky. Plan accordingly.

Personally, this time of year I'd skip anything below 5000 feet unless it's adjacent to an ocean.

If you are coming thru Reno, drop me a line. Hotels are cheap here and I have a secure garage to store your bike.

Give us some ideal of your route (just point to point) and I'll try to point out any cool stuff I know about along the way.
  3. Hollow

Hollow Newbie Fucktard

Oddometer:
    If you are gonna be in montana I think the Beartooth Highway is a MUST.. might as well drop into yellowstone too
  4. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm in!! :clap Check out the useful site I found: http://www.byways.org/explore/byways/2281/

I am a sucker for mountain passes. Keep the suggestions coming. This is hugely useful. Thanks again!
  5. no-h2o

no-h2o Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Consider traveling scenic state route#12 in Utah. I did a roadtrip years ago there, and it was easily the best stretch of asphalt / dirt roads I had seen at that time. Voted one of the 10 most beautiful highways/byways in America by several publications, you won't be disappointed. Here is a link I found with some detail: http://www.takemytrip.com/07zion/07_16a.htm
    I will most definitely run that route again some day on my KTM 950A.
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    or the Continental Divide (CD) ride. Did it a couple years ago and it was scenic overload. You could just incorporate parts that work out with your plans. The dirt roads were easy.

If you go through Yellowstone National Park and out through West Yellowstone, consider riding over into Idaho and check out Sawtell Peak Road. I took Gaspipe and Las Vegas Rider up there when we did the CD and they both agreed it's a don't miss road. It's dirt all the way to an FAA radar installation at just under 10,000'. If you head up in the morning, you'll have awesome views of the Grand Tetons.

Here's a shot of Gaspipe near the top.
    [​IMG]

There's free camping opportunities down lower in the forest. As an aside, this is grizzly bear habitat though so know how to camp in bear country.

I was just up there a couple weeks ago in my truck. Lots of snow but the road was open. I know some interesting routes out of there if you're going to be in the area.
  7. msyzf2u

msyzf2u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are so many great roads in those area's. I totally agree, Beartooth is Awesome !

Beartooth/Yellowstone vid clip: http://msyzf2u.blip.tv/#1037634
  8. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for all the tips. It's so helpful!
  9. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    I've ridden through Bryce and Zion Canyons in June '06. Definitely worth a second run!!! I wonder what the roads look like North of that. I guess I'll be finding out. Cheers! :wink:
  10. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    Thank you, sounds awesome!!! I will definitely check that area out. You scared me a little bit about the Grizzlies. I won't be able to throw my husband at the bears while I make my escape. :rofl Any further details on these roads, let me know. Cheers!
  11. mrider

mrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice riding footage - what are you using on your WWT Epsisode 4?
  12. Ogribike

Ogribike Vagabond

Oddometer:
    If you are mid state UT and planning on seeing Arches NP or Canyonlands NP try to fit in Route 31 through Manti La Sal National Forest, it is paved but nice views and good riding. I just returned from a CO, UT, AZ, NV, CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, ND, SD, NE, KN, MO, IL, IN, KY, WV and VA trip. Last year I was in most of the same areas. If you want to see some photo's and maps go to http://twinvalleyriders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=fb840d8eb62908986f5218d76d9a3f2c Look for the post by Jim Moss. The ones concerning the West are titled Head East and Have Helmet, Will Travel.

Have fun.

Utah 31, Manti La Sal NF.

[​IMG]

Hells Canyon OR.

[​IMG]
  13. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    Hi again, I've been trying to locate this Sawtell Peak Rd. I have an idea where it is, but not sure how far along hwy 20 it is once you cross into Idaho. Can you offer up a cross road/hwy? I'm using Mapquest to assist me. Thanks for the directions.
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Well, since you're a female, we should take that in consideration - what you can ride, where to ride, where to stay, comfortable riding temps, restaurants and eats, communications, appropriate campsites, money needed....really everything.
  15. Hollow

Hollow Newbie Fucktard

Oddometer:
    Ive never actually been on the beartooth, or even up in the area but I'd say its my #2 dream ride..be it in a car or on a bike.. After ALASKA of course :D

If all goes as planned I'll be living about an hour south of it next spring. Cant wait!
  16. msyzf2u

msyzf2u Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. msyzf2u

msyzf2u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    helmetcamera :)

oops, sorry.... the link should have taken you to Episode 1, that is where the beartooth and yellowstone footage is.
  18. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna take the time to ride this Beartooth, and also ride through Yellowstone on the way down to Utah. These are both on my list. Once I've collected some awesome places to see and 'must ride roads', I am gonna put together a 'roadmap' so to speak. This worked well in terms of organizing some sort of schedule, on a previous trip I made. Gas in the States is 33% cheaper then in Canada which means I get to travel 33% farther. :lol3
  19. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer:
    Just watching the video now....wow!! Incredible. You're really warming me up with clips like that. I know my husband will be just a tad jealous knowing what I am about to experience and see. Thanks for that link. I'll be passing it along.
  20. Ingrid

Ingrid KTM_Chick

Oddometer: