Drz250 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tdrrally, Jul 24, 2008.

1. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes
  2. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Dirt Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Putting this back out there for interested parties...

3. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only one I was able to get before my camera died. That was after riding 1/8 mile down a dirt road to the trail. Wish I would have been able to get one of her at the end of the day; trails were gnarly and muddy as all get out, plus the hill climbs were a little hairy. Loving this bike more and more each ride. Hopefully more to come next ride.

[​IMG]
  4. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Glad you are having a good time. Should consider a go pro or contour. We should spread the word of the DRZ.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
  5. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks redleger, hope you get the kinks worked out of yours. I'm actually (hopefully) ordering the Drift innovations camera next pay check. Gotten to play with them next to the gopro at a local store and just felt better to me personally. Yea spreading the word of the DRz is a great idea, espcially showing off the 400s little brother :D
    Hudsen
  6. redleger

Oddometer:
    I looked at those when I bought the contour. The view screen is nice. Looks a bit lighter than the contour also. I would go with the 1080 version or you will end up with the 4:3 ratio. Make sure you can get 16:9 for the normal look.

Look forward to seeing some riding.
  7. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip mate. How do you like the contour? Seems like a legit little camera with some cool features. I also considered the new sony action cam but seems to bulky, and still just leaning towards the drift. The new Hero3s just have too many problems from what i've read, and I don't like the external case for those. Can't wait to capture these hill climbs on camera :D

Hudsen
  8. xsamp86

xsamp86 n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry to interrupt...I use this thread for a lot of my inspiration & problems & just wanted to chuck on my contribution.
    Been tinkering with a bit of 200x200mm 3mm ally plate i got for 99p on e-bay :)
    The shapes were cut from the same 200mm plate starting with the right hand side cut in one corner of the sheet using a jigsaw (I did this in cardboard first) and held them on using 3 4x16mm black pop rivets (bridging accross where the frame is welded). The edges I just sanded smooth with 180 grit paper.

This gives just enough clearance on the kickstart and the shapes completely protect the frame when your on with mx boots.

Hope these images can be used by someone for a cool way to spend a couple of hours in the garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. redleger

Oddometer:
    I like it. its light weight, the only draw back is I couldn't mount it forward enough to keep the helmet out of the shot. Thats pretty common on side mount cameras. For the price it is perfect and does not require an external case, which is awesome. There are mounting videos by contour on youtube which were very helpful however I use the 360 mount so it makes it really easy. I bought a second mount for my street helmet on I wear on my DR and will soon be getting some nice back road shots hopefully. Let me know how you like the drift if you get it. I need a second camera for back shots.
  10. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty sweet Xsamp. Do you think with a good hit the aluminum will bend/snap being 3mm? I'm just not real familiar on working with aluminum and its sheet strength (don't know what to actually call it).

Yea redleger, from what I've read on helmet mounts, Is most people start off buying the stock side mount and end up custom rigging it within a year for all major brands. Especially if you want to save it from all the abuse from getting hit by branches and when you dismount your bike 'rapidly' as my friend would say haha

Hudsen
  11. Carve

Carve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just browsed through the thread and am really impressed with the quality of information you guys have on here.

New to me DRZ 250. Bought it for my wife to learn to ride because it's pretty tame, lowish seat height and electric start with option to kick if we kill the battery :rofl Unfortunately, the previous owner did not practice safe wrenching and caused all kinds of damage from stripped threads, over torqued bolts, missing bolts, incorrect bolt lengths, etc...

The worst of it I discovered tonight as my wife is trying to install a new spark plug. "It just keeps turning" :huh. Sure enough, PO stripped the spark plug hole threads. Looks like a helicoil is the way to go but I'm a bit worried about getting a good seal for compression, and getting all the aluminum scraps from the combustion chamber after the operation. I already know to use grease on the thread cutter to catch most of it, but any other tips? Anyone used the helicoil for spark plug repairs?

I think I might send an anonymous package to this guy's door step. Inside, he'll find a HF torque wrench, some lock-tite and some anti-seize.
  12. ChrisRiedinger

ChrisRiedinger Specialized

Oddometer:

I would take the head off to ensure that there are no burrs or chips in the combustion chamber, but that's just me.
  13. privateer2010

privateer2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might also consider spending the money and reducing your potential headache by taking it to a machine shop. At a minimum though I would remove it from the engine to do the work. I am all about saving headaches where I can.
  14. Carve

Carve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, that sounds prudent. I'll order a new head gasket and tear into it this weekend. Thanks for the advice.
  15. RoscoOz

RoscoOz Aprentice Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Morning all,

If someone has a PDF of manual they are happy to share - please PM me.

Thanks

RoscoOz
  16. redleger

Oddometer:
    Same thing please

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
  17. AlexD92

AlexD92 DR-Z 250

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I am thinking of putting a speedometer on my DRZ and was wondering if you know of any good ones out there. I'd rather have something that uses the existing wiring of the tirp meter but I don't know if its possible.
  18. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    about any oe speedo will do

the ds versions over seas have the same speedo as a drz400

i have used a dr125/200 speedo:D
  19. xsamp86

xsamp86 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, in fact I may even upload the pics Of my home made sump guard using the Same sheet when I get on the computer, it's very forgiving & bends with a block of wood & a mallet without any heat :clap I'll upload soon! In terms of fitted strength it Is similar thickness to aftermarket stuff so I'm hoping will wear well, but seems to have been ok after a 60mil e run at t he weekend :)
  20. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer: