Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:

See, right there is what separates guys like Antihero from us mere mortals.
    If I had a woman put me up for the night, and I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to that.......I would have a hard time choosing between going back inside to a warm bed & throwing a leg over that cold wet bike knowing I wouldn't be stopping for another 17 hours! :huh
  2. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a particular time in mind I wanted to beat. I fired up MotionX GPS on my iPhone when I started out (good thing, too, because I forgot to reset my Trip2 odo until I was on the freeway):

[​IMG]

Once on the road, however, I quickly realized that the Texas freeways I would be taking were anything but superhighways. Lots of 35mph zones heading out of Austin, a plethora of patrol cars, a stop at the ATM machine and a chocolate hostage that cried for release resulted in a 46mph avg during the first 63 miles.

Here's the progress via MotionX:

[​IMG]

Progress on iPhone:

[​IMG]

Ah yes--here's how I charge up when my phone has died out on the road and it's what I plugged my iPhone into while running GPS all day:

[​IMG]
  3. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    No sense in bluing out the max speed. We've seen your brother's posts showing that.
  4. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Texas backroads in the AM when it started to get light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And more random pics of the few places I stopped along the way:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  5. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of many stops:
    [​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  6. PhillipsMetal

PhillipsMetal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    duhrider likes this.
  7. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    About the fifth or sixth town I saw that looked like this I began to regret my decision to just blaze through this jaundiced section of the world:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made it to Tucson and met up with my sis and her family. She has two cats (one of which is some feral bobcat, cantankerous monstrosity) not in the pic who spit on me with this hissing-from-hell sound. Though I was COMPLETELY out of it (920 miles to Tucson It think it was) the shot of adrenaline I got from the damn creature almost resulted in an involuntary steel-toed boot to the whiskers.)

[​IMG]

Finally made it to Scottsdale:
    [​IMG]

The look of exhaustion, satisfaction, completion:
    [​IMG]
    duhrider likes this.
  8. nicola_a

nicola_a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, the good genes run in the family. Congrats Dennis. What an epic day, and what an awesome way to challenge your mind and body. Glad you got there safe.
  9. Serbchaser

Serbchaser Chasin' the Serb

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Simply awesome.
  10. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    All top speeds were done on private roads outside of Police jurisdiction. :) Only bluing out because I'm not trying to encourage or boast about what sometimes may happen on an open stretch of deserted road with no cars around.

And thanks, guys--now we all know it IS possible to do an Ironbutt on something as recalcitrant as a Ducati.

More to come on just HOW it felt to do it....stay tuned.
  11. camgregus

camgregus riding gently now Supporter

Oddometer:
    on the banks of the mighty mississippi, AR side
  12. flyinturbo

flyinturbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great meeting you today! Next time stay a while (and indulge in some crown!)
  13. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    jeez is that all ya got, couldn't make it to 155.2! :lol3
    Congrats D, now it'll take another 16 hrs to de numb ur ass and lose that perma "deer in the head lights" look.
  14. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job once again!
    The pictures are great, as always, and like you stated, those little towns like that are what I like about traveling.
    I was planning to shoot across Texas when I finally do my trip, but it looks like I will be doing a slow crawl to see it all.

Once your trip is over, I hope you stay around here. Hopefully you can guide some of us sportbike riders, on the subject of long distance crotch rocket travels! lol
  15. Morphish

Morphish n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry I missed you - I think we were both in Austin at the same time.

My motorcycle has been a journey of self-discovery for me so it's wonderful to read your philosophical musings. I'd love to read your end-of-journey thoughts.

Be safe!
  16. tcuguy

tcuguy Tito

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread three days ago, about the time that it has taken me to get to this final post. Go figure, because I JUST missed you (I live in Fort Worth). Wow, coincidence.

Your going to have to show me around though, I'm moving up to San Francisco over the summer (going there for new years actually) and own a new 796 myself - first Ducati ever and i'm LOVING it (saying 'ever' is not much I admit, i'm only 23).

I actually sort of see an older me in you, we are physically alike and also work from a computer in the digital industry. I know your almost done with the journey but this is something! Somehow, I now feel my two week Continental Divide ride this past summer was crap compared to this, might have to one up it here in the next couple of years I guess.

PS really enjoyed the whole 'fuck it' posts, being young everyone around me is starting to be just as you describe- having many, many, many excuses for nearly everything. And then of course, I seem to get 'lucky' because I am able to afford an R32, the new M769, and now have my own business... guess the harder you work the 'luckier' you get huh :rofl
  17. Sgt93

Sgt93 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure he stopped by a few track days on his trip, no worries :thumb
  18. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I wasn't worried. I used to worry about my Tiger 1050 which has a max speed telltale which never fails to register a speed between tankfuls which would mandate arrest and bike seizure in my state.

After a bit, I figure how would a cop get that info? As to the OP's iPhone, well, one could always argue poor Apple QA.
  19. flyingz06

flyingz06 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you must clean that bike all the time! It's hardly dirty from all the riding. No bug splats either:huh

Seems odd.
  20. pumpe3

pumpe3 lazy Swede

Oddometer:
    Maybe you answerd before, but what size do you have on the Kriega bag?