Gun across boarder

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jprism, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    I will be traveling from the US through Canada to Alaska this summer and will try and camp every night. I downloaded the Canada form "INSTRUCTION SHEET NON-RESIDENT FIREARM DECLARATION" and will fill this out showing only one legal firearm a 1911 Model 45ACP Pistol used for wildlife protection. I have heard all kinds rumors...some say that using the above form for a legal gun NO PROBLEMS...others say that they will simply take and hold my gun until I return to pick it up.

Does anyone have real knowledge of the gun policy when crossing into Canada?

Thanks, Jim
  2. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    I may be mistaken but I'm fairly sure that you, as a gringo, cannot transport a handgun through Canada under any circumstances. I believe that the Firearm declaration form is restricted to long arms only. You will want to do some more research on this and have absolute certainty. If you show up at their border with a firearm that is illegal for Canada, they will likely remember you the next time they see you and that might not be a good thing.
  3. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can't bring it in, all you could do would be to ship it to Alaska and have it for that portion then ship it home.
  4. Oldschoolorange

Oldschoolorange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having it shipped to alaska and then shipping it back home is probably the easiest way to bring it on your trip. But like lycan1 said call Canadian border services and see what they say first.
  5. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    I agree on the shipping thing, it might be doable but it would be a pain in the ass for sure.

BTW 1911 is not a illegal firearm in Canada, officer model even meets barrel restrictions,, we got lotsa them here, but...., they are restricted, which basically means we can transport them to and from firing range or events etc., no CCW here, we can own them no problem, but very tight restrictions on any handguns here.

Good Luck, Todd
  6. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    Oh ya, on the wildlife thing, are there times Ive wanted a side arm when things go bump in the night?, absolutely, was it necessary...no. Good camping skills and a clean site are way easier then packin.

.45s just pissoff the grizzlys anyway:lol3
  7. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    If you really feel you need a weapon, ship it from a licensed dealer in the lower 48 to a dealer in Alaska. Many dealers will do this for a reasonable fee. Handguns are tightly regulated in Canada. Long guns, within what may be called "sporting arms" are relatively simple to bring in.

Buy some bear spray for protection in Canada. As long as it's clearly labeled as bear spray, you won't have a problem. If it's labeled as for use against humans, it's also a restricted weapon.

Canadian firearms laws are one thing that you don't want to mess with, unless you wish to be politely but firmly turned back at the border for the rest of your life.
  8. toddiscdn

toddiscdn Take off, EH!

Oddometer:
    What he said, I forgot to add, WHATEVER YOU DO!!!!, please do not think about not declaring it when you coming into Canada, the grizz will look like a walk in the park.

I know you took the time to ask so you wouldnt do that, but for others finding this in a search, if you forget that you have your weapon on you or in the car or the gps inadvertently directs you to the border, just tell them you screwed up, dont panic and they will be cool and send you back or hold it for you.......as long as their wife put out last night:D

From a guy who lives in a border town.
  9. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Thing to do is leave it at home. Not worth the aggrivation. If you were coming to Canada for a Match and had an invite it would be no problem as long as you did the paperwork. Here in Canada you aren't allowed a handgun for self defence. Non restricted rifles and shotguns are ok against wild animals. 4inch handguns and less are Prohibited meaning you have to be grandfathered. 4.2 inch and longer is restricted meaning you can own and shoot one at an approved Range if you have a proper Licience and registration. Your chances of ever being bothered by a wild animal are slim and not. So just come on up and ride.:D
  10. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    The only Wild Animals that can scare me are male Moose...and a handgun would just piss one of those off!!:rofl
  11. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    I've used the shipping option before moving back and forth between here and the L48 and don't recommend it. Its not cheap and you'd need to coordinate between a gun shop on your end and a gun shop up here. It would be a lot of work and expense to solely carry around with you while you're in Alaska. Then you'd need to do the process in reverse to get it back out. For what its worth, I'd skip the pistol and use the pannier space for something more practical and likely to get used (like beer).

Tens of thousands of people camp or otherwise recreate in Alaska and Western Canada every year and the probability of a bad encounter with a bear is extremely low. Should it happen to you, the chances are quite good that its something you've done that's put yourself in that position. You will see lots of wildlife on the ride but they will generally be doing their own thing and will continue to do so if left to be. If you're still concerned, others have mentioned carrying bear spray. I've also seen people carry compressed air horns as well as bear bangers (a little plastic device that makes a sound like a gunshot). I don't think I've ever seen them in the US but am pretty sure you could find them in Canada. Canadian Tire seems to have just about anything you could ever consider looking for.
  12. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cambodian Tire usually has bangers and spray.
  13. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    After reading the NON-RESIDENT FIREARM DECLARATION sheet it looks like I can legally cross into Canada with a legal pistol or rifle. The gun I will bring has a barrel length longer than 4.1 inches is a 45 caliper semi automatic and is therefore legal according to the Canada government.

I have camped all over the US in Grizzly and Black bear areas and have never had a problem with wild life in camp. I know not to eat close to my tent, discard all garbage in a bear proof container, etc. I have always carried a pistol with me on my camping rides in America but have never crossed into Canada. What I was looking for in this post was from those that have/do cross the US/Canada boarder with a legal gun and how much trouble it may or may not be to do so.

p.s. I also carry DAP Bear Spray, Boat Horn and a 12 Gauge Flare Pistol and therefore sleep real good at night.
  14. Canuman

Oddometer:
    I've lived within 30 miles of the Canadian border since 1974. I know plenty of people that hunt in Canada. I know Canadians that are on competition pistol teams. I know American shooters that compete across the border. Half my town have relatives over the border.

Pistols are extremely difficult to bring into Canada. This is simple truth. As a private citizen who is just riding through, it is highly unlikely that you will be issued a pistol permit. I don't know if you've checked the RCMP regs, but unless you're an exceptional case the answer is no pistol.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.html#P002

This is pertinent in your case, and would make the weapon useless, in the unlikely event you were issued a pistol permit:

Canadian law states that you have to transport all firearms unloaded. If you are transporting them in a vehicle, they must be kept out of sight in a part of a vehicle that is kept locked (the trunk, if there is one), unless the vehicle is supervised by an adult. You have to transport restricted and prohibited firearms in a locked case and equip them with locked safety devices to prevent firing. Antique handguns do not require a secure locking device, although all other transportation provisions apply.

"Supervised by an adult" has been interpreted as to mean in the immediate vicinity of the vehicle at all times when a firearm is being transported. Don't go to the "washroom" and leave the firearm unattended.

It's stretch for many Americans to get their heads around the Canadian firearm regulations. They, as you, feel there must be some sort of a loophole for decent folk that want to pack a pistol. There really isn't in normal circumstances. Even my Canadian friends who shoot competitively tend to leave their weapons in the shooting club safe, as it's far less hassle in the long run. In the long view, Canadians don't feel they need to keep a pistol in the house, or on their hip. As a matter of fact, it's considered an insult to many Canadians if you feel the need to lock your door. It's part of their national character. You're going to a nation that makes their own rules. It works for them. Respect it.
  15. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I know that "border" is spelled b o r d e r :deal

and not boarder.
  16. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Dude, you don't ride?

[​IMG]

17. Farmholio

Farmholio Smarmy Marmot

Oddometer:
    You might consider posting this question to a larger audience as to whether anyone has ever successfully and legally done this in a few other places, maybe the perfect line or in the Alaska regional forum. I think the summary of what those have posted here is that we don't suspect its possible nor do we know anyone who has successfully done so.

The conventional wisdom in Alaska is that there are only four ways to get handguns in Alaska. You have to fly it, buy it, ship it or take the ferry from Bellingham (and not the one that stops in Prince Rupert). If you do post elsewhere and find otherwise, come on back and let us know. I'm happy to eat some crow in the name of enlightenment.
  18. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is possibly the best reply I've seen on this question.:clap
    Thank you from a non gun obsessed Canadian.
  19. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You cannot bring your pistol into Canada, on your way to
    Alaska, or anywhere else. Can't be done, forget it.

Canadian bears are friendly, you don't want to shoot them anyway. :D
  20. Canuman

Oddometer:
    Just take a swig of that good Canadian rye and kiss 'em on the lips. They're as limp as a kitten afterwards.