The Mentality of Making Section Areas

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motobene, Dec 30, 2014.

1. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sting - Let me know when you are ready for 5MOH. I am only 8 hours away and try to ride it 3-4 times a year. Great fun.
  2. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    Nice read.

About section minimums it depends on the competition format and the conditions.

My experience in Michigan was all classes in one event, and one club had a longstanding 45-section minimum (typically 9 X 5) The loops weren't typically very long, but so many sections meant exhausting events in summer heat!

I came away from the experience believing 45 is just too many, 32 is a lot, and 24 can be just right in a split-day format or when you have long or poorly marked loops, mud, or other gotchas. I've ridden several events with firm time limits and 24 to 27 sections that had many of us going over time, and we weren't wasting time.

In my area 8 X 3 = 24 is the accepted tradition. But I wonder, why not 6 X 4 = 24 or 6 X 5 = 30? One or two more chances to try to master a difficult section can be satisfying. Why do we not do less than 8?

I don't know about you all, but I use up the majority of my events studying and riding the first loop. Then I try to blow and go and hope not to run into long lines so I can keep my brain and body in a groove.
  3. motobene

Oddometer:
    Sting and I have that on the bucket list! I want to ride it before it become illegal to do so.
  4. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too. I'm a firm believer that if you are an off-road rider of ANY flavor in NM you should be able to demonstrate some skill at riding sand and also at riding baby-head rocks. Because we have just a leetle bit of each...
  5. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brutal ride without estart:eek1
  6. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I want to do 5MOH... if your ok with a possible tag along I would love to at least know if anyone is going so I could try and make it with a group.

Doing it by myself just doesn't sound like the best idea... :lol3
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you kidding. That`s like a freeway! :D EStart? wow.:huh
  8. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been. The vids availible show stall after stalls. I doubt I would fare any better, especially if taking a wrong line.
  9. motobene

Oddometer:
    Many of the vids I've watched are of non trials riders doing whiskey throttle and letting the clutch out fully, over and over and over. Ugly, and I feel for them.

But we digress to an OT subject :cry