Why buy a Harley

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by hapbob, Feb 10, 2013.

1. UnsureFooting

UnsureFooting Title of User Here

Oddometer:
    I weighed 215 when I had that sporty, once I set the preload on the rear right, it almost never bottomed out.

The fact that most harleys don't stay stock speaks more to people wanting a bike set up exactly the way they want it. People don't buy a harley for blistering performance. They buy it for intangible reasons that only Harley fans get. To buy one and then complain about buying upgrades is a bit crazy.
  2. the kawasaki kid

the kawasaki kid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 my '08 1200C sporty was phenomenal right out of the box. Never modded it and never felt the need to. Mine loved zipping through twisties, but they're not crotch rockets and I was well aware of that when I bought it. I regret selling mine almost daily.
  3. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like, uh, BMWs? :D
  4. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    After I sold mine I got Kawi C10. Found out it wasn't my flavor. I wanted to get another harley, but I couldn't afford one (2 kids and stuff) so I settled for a Shadow Sabre. Bags, boards, the whole deal. It actually fits me similar to my step-dad's roadking. :D

I'll get another... someday.
  5. SnappNBrrap

SnappNBrrap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dont, i would buy a Victory instead.

i dislike hogs but:

-they get really good mileage (not really sure how)
    -they can be really pretty
    -they are actually kind of reliable if you dont change a bunch of shit
    -RESALE value

and the negatives (the ones that are factual)

-heavy
    -not too great in the braking dept.
    -people will hate you just because you ride a "murdersickle"
    -you will be forced to buy tons of Harley shit or somebody will murder your dog:deal
    -they vibrate like crazy, just look at anybody sitting on a hog at a redlight
    -they're expensive especially if you buy new, but i wouldnt trust a used harley so...
  6. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been watching this thread with some interest as I was kind of in the same boat this time last year. After owning various "Sport touring bikes" such as BMW RT1200, Honda ST1300, Kawasaki C-14, I felt I wanted to change things up a bit.

So, I bought a 2012 Electra Glide Classic. And I have to admit that this bike has put the fun back in motorcycling for me. I just can't help but smile every time I ride it. Now, to be honest, I ride it differently than I rode my previous bikes. I'm more relaxed, more into my surroundings, and just plain more comfortable. And just as importantly, as another poster mentioned in a previous thread, if you have a bike that when you park it and start walking away, you turn just to look at it again, then you have the right bike. With this one, I always look back. Never did with my previous bikes.

Harley isn't Honda, BMW, Kawasaki or Yamaha, but they aren't trying to be and I'm sure don't want to be. Maybe Harley is for you and maybe they aren't. But for me and what I want out of motorcycling at the moment, it sure fits my bill. And for reference, my bike is totally stock, I'm 51, 225 lbs. and 5' 11".
  7. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    The Japs make disposable bikes. Harleys have parts support to run forever....

8. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    I'm older, taller and lighter, but other than that, I could have written this.
  9. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    If you want the upgrades on a Harley but don't want to spend the money for them, the simple answer is to find a used one with everything you want and buy that instead of a new one. You'll spend less than the price of a new one and get the upgrades free.

I bought my XL1200R last year with only 3750 miles and it already had the stage one on it. Less than half the price of any new Sportster. The Electra Glide had 11k miles and stage one upgrades, cruise, and ABS for roughly $7k less than a new one. I did have to put tires on the Roadster though, those 8 year old Dunlops were HARD.
  10. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be 54 in a couple of weeks. I started riding at age 8 (on dirt) and got my first street bike at age 15, a used Suzuki GT380, and put 20, 673 miles on it. I got my motorcycle endorsement at age 16, on my birthday, before noon. I got my first new streetbike at age 20, a 1980 Suzuki GS450L, and put 38,145 miles on it. I have owned a total of 46 bikes (19 of them bought brand new) including the GT380 and my latest acquisition, the 2012 Zuma 125 (currently with just under 3,000 miles) The 46 bikes include 5 scooters and 3 mopeds. I put just over 20,000 miles on the mopeds, and have just over 24,000 miles on my '08 Yamaha Vino 125, bought new in '07. I average about 15,000 miles a year. I currently own 6 bikes, and ride them all. I actually have records for most of it, as I always counted the miles I put on a bike before selling/trading it. I put 81,000 on a 1993 Vulcan 750 in 10 years, and currently have 77,000+ miles on my '02 Vulcan 750. I probably have more miles on Vulcan 750s than anyone else in the world. It firs me PERFECTLY, not a single thing out of place. The 37,366 miles on Goldwings are 23,491 on a 1985 GL1200LTD, and 13, 875 on a 1995 GL1500SE. These are the numbers I have written down. All added up, all the numbers come out to just over 500,000 miles in 36 years. Many have twice that mileage. I have not ridden as much during the past several months, due to serious problems with arthritis, left knee and left shoulder in particular (I fell off a ladder a while back, on my left side, and did some serious damage) That is why I have been here so much (and why I cannot ride a bike with rearset pegs and low bars) I've been riding the scooters more than the motorcycles (no shifting and clutching) and was seriously thinking about giving up motorcycles, until I saw the new Honda CTX700. I am on the fence about selling the Goldwing, but will never part with the Vulcan 750. Even if I ever get where I can't ride it anymore, or it just plain wears out, I will park it in the back yard under a cover and leave it there. It is by far the best of all 46 bikes.

Oh, to the OP, get the Harley while you can. I have never owned a Harley, and have serious regrets about it. I feel I have really missed out on a big part of the motorcycling experience because of it. It's to late for me to justify investing in a big twin, though I might be able to handle a Sportster ok.
  11. Alphamale11

Alphamale11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not really. I have 40,000 on my 2009 Heritage Classic. 0 trouble, period. My GS is fun and I really enjoy it. But the HD is very comfy and just feels right. I recently knocked out a 600+ mile day on the HD without issue. Go ride one, any model after 09 and decide for yourself if it feels right.
  12. cybrdyke

cybrdyke In the Dark

Oddometer:
    way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    I love it when people spew crap and then say "that's a fact!"
  13. UnsureFooting

Oddometer:
    Mileage: really low rpm at speed.

Vibrate: Yes, and it's never bothered me near as much as that 4-cylinder buzz.
  14. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    Sure they vibe at a stoplight; they're suppose to. On the road my 103 is smoother than any other engine I've ever had in a bike. Zero vibes at speed, it's crazy smooth and I've owned a crapload of bikes including Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM and Ducati.
    The new ones have better brakes - ABS brembos, they don't suck at all.

On a trip to Colorado I averaged 46 MPG over 3000+ miles which means you can go well over 200 between fuel stops. One tank on the San Juan loop out of Durango it got 55 mpg for the 230 mile loop. crazy for a big bike.

Don't Kill my dog just because I don't buy into the HAWG culture :lol3
  15. Old Blue

Old Blue Shallow waterman

Oddometer:
    My new Road King Classic is the nicest, smoothest bike I've ever been on.

Of course my last bike was a KLR!
  16. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Harleys do vibrate at low speeds. And they make the most beautiful sound of any bike I've ever heard. Take a look at the engine on a Harley at a stoplight. See how it shakes around in the frame. Now look at ANY other bike, and you will not see that. And while some Japanese bikes come close to the Harley sound with the right pipes, they never get it exactly right. Harleys have character and personality, something none of my bikes ever had, with one exception, a 1966 Triumph. But it was unreliable. A newer Harley is reliable. A Harley is still a machine. Somewhat crude and primitive, but therein lies it's appeal, at least to me. It is not homogenized, pasteurized, and so highly refined that all it's soul is gone. Harley has avoided what other manufacturers are doing their best to accomplish. To completely isolate you from the bike and the riding experience. Lexus used to run ads saying just how smooth and quiet their cars were, just like sitting in your living room. That is the last thing I want. Needless to say, I don't own a Lexus.
  17. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    ill have to disagree with you there....
  18. nhbubba

nhbubba Internet Tough Guy

Oddometer:
    I can see where this comes from. It is a different experience. More of a mechanical, classic motorcycle experience. Less about performance and carving turns and more about the machine making noises and the wind in your face.

But then that's a big problem I have with HDs and cruisers in general: They encourage me to gear down. Having a lazy, haphazardly handling machine under me and go that slowly, I'll be damned if I'm encasing myself in gear. I want the wind, the noise, the smells. This means no full face helmet... possibly no helmet. It means jeans and work boots and maybe a jacket, maybe not.

And this is why I avoid cruisers. I lack the self discipline to gear up when riding them. Meanwhile the power-ranger suit feels the part when on something with some sport to it.
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    First of all, I am not ATGATT. I would give up riding first, as it would no longer be fun. I do always wear a full face helmet, even on a scooter, jeans, and some kind of boots. I wear a jacket if it is cold enough. I often ride in the summer wearing an MX jersey and thin gloves, to protect myself from sunburn and hyperthermia. It exceeds 115 degrees here in the summer, and that kind of temperature can cause disorientation and put you in danger of crashing, just like getting too cold can. Other than than the helmet, I do not have special clothes just for riding, unless it is really cold. I ride to work wearing my work clothes, which include jeans and steel toed boots, and the helmet. Other than a few rain suits, a CHP leather jacket, and a pair of heated gloves I have owned very little motorcycle specific apparel in my life.

If you think that is crazy, just look at what bicyclists wear in traffic. Spandex and a helmet that offers virtually no protection at all.
  20. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you bought a Sportster..........No offense to Sportster owners, I've got one myself, but you do realize that a R1200RT, ST1300, FJR1300, and 1050GT are not in the same league as a Sportster. The Sportster is HDs "entry" bike. A better comparison would be the bikes you listed compared to something from the Dyna and Touring lines.