Buying a new 2013 F800GS - total noob here

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Bumbobee, May 4, 2013.

1. Bumbobee

Bumbobee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

New to the forum here. I just sold my bike today and I'm making the move to an adventure bike that I can also do long distances with. I'm looking at a 2013 F800GS lowered edition.

Couple of questions:

Are there any faulty things to watch out for with the bike from the factory? Anything to keep an eye on?

What is the oil change interval? The dealer here in Toronto told me every 5000 km, that doesn't sound right, is he trying to scam me?

What can I ask for the dealer to throw in extra when I buy the bike? Do you think they will come down on retail price? I want to get the best deal.

Oh I'm also looking at a 2013 KTM 990 Supermoto T, I know it's not really an offroad bike, but wanted to hear peoples thoughts on it.
  2. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:

Welcome noob!
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just my opinion.
  4. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll second Sieg.. Look at the 700. The two biggest advantages the 800 has over a 700 for dirt is a 21' front wheel an more ground clearance. Buying a low takes away one of the two. If you mean long distance on asphalt and the odd trail ride get the 700. It's 19" front wheel is better on pavement. GH
  5. KSUperDuty

KSUperDuty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an adventure bike noob, and I couldn't be more thrilled with the new 2013 F800GS that I just bought. It's been cold and snowy, but I've managed to put 2200 miles on it since I bought it 45 days ago. I've camped in the mountains on it twice, and done quite a few miles on snowy muddy fire roads. It'll go places that I'm not 100% comfortable going quite yet for sure. There are a lot of naysayers on the site with this weakness, or that weakness, but I'd say the F8 is pretty dang well rounded all in all. I guess it can't be all things to all people, but personally I think it's a great bike. I set out to buy the big GS, but after riding them both I couldn't get past how much of a pig the big bike felt like compared to the F8. After taking the F8 on some gnarly to me trails, I can't imagine how much work it would be to get the R12 to some of those same places. My F8 is already starting to develop some nice battle scars.

The dealership wasn't willing to negotiate much on price with me, but they did throw in a set of Vario cases for free. There are better cases out there to get, but the price on the ones I got was right for sure. I've laid the bike over on the Vario cases a couple of times and so far they've held up well. Listening to people on here talk, I'd have thought they would have broken in to a million pieces after the first minor scratch. Glad they didn't.

I'd say go for it, but the Farkle bug is going to bite for sure. The $'s will just keep slipping out of your wallet until you get the bike set up exactly like you want it.
  6. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Im coming from riding a Harley and on my other forum some bikes had specific issues like squealing rear brakes, leaking master cylinders, or faulty fuel gauges. I searche around but I couldn't find anything of the sort with the F800GS.

Should I get the suspension mode add on and traction control?

I'm debating whether I want a lowered one or not, when I sit on a regular one my feet aren't completely flat, I'm like 5"10.
  7. cchoc

cchoc Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer:
    I'm about 6' and can't flat foot my 800GS either, but I am getting used to it. Mine came with the comfort seat but I replaced it with a Sargent Enduro and I think that helps a bit. I don't think you can get a lowered one with ESA; I like it on mine. Mine has traction control as well, but I haven't 'tried it out' yet.
  8. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I agree with the 10k mile full syn oil change interval, 6k mile for dino. The 800 engine is easy on oil...heat is very well controlled.

The decision between the taller F800GS or the F700GS really depends on where you want to ride.

Lowering the F800 give you essentially the suspension travel of the F700...still a LOT more than a harley!

I have the F700 predecessor the F650GS. I travel long distances, quite a bit on dirt roads and poor pavement. I rarely go truely off road. This is more than you need to travel alaska, labrador, etc etc. The 19" wheel will give you more stiffness than wire wheels so aggressive riding in paved twisties will be better. I very much like to be able to flat foot my bike...push it back while seated...in general not be a parking lot ballerina tip toeing around.

The F800GS standard height gives you a bit more ground clearance which is important if you will be going over rocks and blow down trees etc. The long travel also help if you plan to jump the bike or go over big wooops. Doing this stuff also really demands that you put some type of knobby tires on for traction in dirt.

The stock "dual sport" tire on both bike are really street tires with just a bit more open tread....no real bite in dirt or mud.

ride both bikes....pick the one that suits you best
  9. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Here is the pricing I got from the dealer for a new 2013 F800GS.

$ 13,450 base
    $ 600 safety package
    $ 355 comfort package
    $ 750 PDE and freight
    $ 250 Budds BMW admin fee (???)
    $ 1939 sales tax (yes welcome to Canada)

Total after tax $ 17,380

I tried bargaining out a deal and all I got was $ 500 off the price, so final price out the door $ 16,880 Canadian

This includes all traction, adjustable suspension modes, and computer. He is also giving me the low seat option free of charge according to him, but I think it's free of charge regardless.

Is this a steep price? Can I iron out a better deal?

I tried asking him to throw in some of the hard case bags, or throwing in the first service free, or a jacket, but he wouldn't budge on price, I was even telling him I'm going to take out my credit card and make a deposit right now.
  10. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I'm not Canuck, but I see $1000 in padding right off the bat.

Do what I did, call about 3-4 dealers and let them come to you with a better price/package. Also figure out how much it's worth to drive a bit.

Be aware, these bikes don't sit forever, but they also aren't used to having other dealers compete for business either.
  11. puckinet

puckinet Safety third

Oddometer:
    The F800 had a bunch of issues when the came out, to be expected with a completely new line. BMW pretty much fixed them. For the height you really need to get on the bike. In my option if you plan on riding off road a lot you need the 21" front wheel if riding more road the F700 is a better bike. I personnley don't care for the electronic ride control but I ride off road more and prefer the bike to be set up for off road. Good luck on your purchase and let us know which direction you went.
  12. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you see this padding??? Have you ever purchased a BMW bike? GH
  13. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Admin fee and freight togeather were $1,000, that is alot, The BMW Dealer in San Diego charged me $492, there it was called it handling.
  14. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Apparently you haven't, unless you just eat the crap the dealers feed you.

$ 750 PDE and freight
    $ 250 Budds BMW admin fee (???)
  15. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    The "Handling" charge was about the same where I bought mine, and they actually dropped it from the cost.
  16. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    buy one used! That's the ticket... one with a little warranty left. That's where you will get the most bang for your buck!
  17. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to update your profile. It looks like you are nothing but a wantabe trolling on a BMW site. If you at least had a BMW bike I might consider your opinion! You have to pay to play. If you don't want to pay the cost to play buy a Honda! GH
  18. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    I went to another dealer today, BMW Toronto, and all I got was $ 250 off, plus the people working there were extremely unfriendly, it's like as if they didn't even care if they sell a bike or not, no one even approached me on the showroom floor, I had to approach one of the vultures.

Needless to say, I bit the bullet and bought the bike today with the $ 500 off, hopefully Ill have it by the weekend, let the adventure begin!
  19. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Good for you!! :clap No pic for us?

The dollars have just begun to float from your wallet... :lol3
  20. Bumbobee

Oddometer:
    Ill take pics of when I get it into my garage! :) It looks sexy, but not as good as my old bike which I miss already :p