DRZ Forks and HPN Tank on a R100 GS PD

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Daithi, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Daithi

Daithi Destination Unknown.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I took this bike (above) out for a spin on a few trails and found the suspension and brakes to be lacking so I did a search on here and found the thread on
    GSifying an RT link: HERE which inspired me to have a go myself. I checked out Ebay and a few local classified type websites and came across a set
    of DRZ400E forks and yokes, a Remus silencer, a HPN Tank and saddle.
    [​IMG]
    I stripped all the PARIS DAKAR stuff (I have it all complete and stored safely), even before I tried the forks out I had to see how the HPN tank would fit.
    The oil cooler was in the way, and in moving the cooler this negated some of the need for the crash bars.(need to source a bolt on sidestand).
    [​IMG]
    I straightened out the tubes to the cooler and reversed them to allow the cooler to be mounted under the headstock, much like the Touratech kit.
    I did consider putting a bypass block on it as we don't get the temperatures here to need an oilcooler, but patience isn't a trait of mine so this will
    have to do for a while.
    [​IMG]
    Once the DRZ stuff arrived I put it together thinking all I'd beed is a couple of spacers to make up for a longer stem
    length, the GS bearing size is 52x28x16 but the DRZ bearing size is 55x30x16.... luckily there is a 52x30x16 available
    which got me sorted, popped out the old races and in with the new.

[​IMG]
    The longer stem needed packing of about 5mm so I routed in the boxes of nuts and bolts and found a 6mm collar with an ID of 30mm, greased the
    bearings and bolted it all together.
  2. Daithi

Oddometer:
    The next problem was the forks and clamps didn't come with a brake system or an axle bolt and neither did the front wheel, I now have a DRZ
    which has now become a temporary donor bike.
    [​IMG]
    The silencer, the original was rotten with rust, but the one I'd picked up was perfect for what I wanted but was way too long, so I drilled out the
    rivets and chopped 4 inches off and re-riveted it (below).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I had a couple of TKC80's from another bike so I put them on, I had a target date for New Years Day for a spin so I did take a few short cuts.
    [​IMG]
    I had a set of Magura bars from the XChallenge and fat bar-adapter lower clamps but no top clamps so I had to make them, luckily I found the
    right size drill in work, SORTED.
    [​IMG]
    The next problem was the Throttle Vs Brake master cylinder, I wanted to use the DRZ brake system but the BMW unit incorporates the brake and
    throttle with two cables running to a carb each.

[​IMG]
    I used the DRZ master cylinder and a borrowed spurious single cable throttle (thanks Gunner) along with the splitter from the choke to cable the carbs.
    Worked a treat, looks a bit home made but shouldn't give any trouble.
    [​IMG]
    I never liked the bulky rear mudguard so I found and old tail-piece from a DR which I used, so all the original plastics are now in a box safe and sound.
    [​IMG]
    I've a bit of tidying up to do with switches and mudguards and I like to put a disk on the back like Phreaky Phil did but for the time being I'm delighted
    with the results. I've taken the bike for a spin on the road and it handles very well, there's a lot more ground clearance, infinitely lighter and the brakes
    are fantastic, I'm looking forward to a trail ride on it.

Daithi.
  3. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    Nice! Those fork tubes are monstrous. Are you doing anything to lower the ride height? I have to imagine it's a little chopperesque with the stock height.
  4. Daithi

Oddometer:
    I was worried that it would mess up the handling and untill I get out on a trail I won't know for certain, but on the road it felt
    fantastic, and I was very conscious of the possibility that it would feel chopperish. I have long legs so the height is a good
    thing, between putting the spacer on the top and the forks pushed through the top yoke by 40mm that's as much clearance
    as I'm willing to lose, I'd like to raise the back rather than drop the front. I have and adjustable torsion strut and I'm going
    to look at replacing the stock rear shock. It genuinely feels very good but needs to go offroad to see for sure, I do however
    need handle bar risers.

Really love this bike, can't help but grin when I get on it.
  5. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    I have a DRZ and am really curious how well the front brake stops the big bike as on the DRZ the brakes aren't anything to write home about. Good enough on the trail but lacking on the road.
  6. Daithi

Oddometer:
    I suppose it's all relative to what you expect from them. I have a DRZ that I take out for handy enough trails at very
    moderate speeds and have never found them wanting but the Brembos on the GS were crap which, combined with the
    poor suspension, is what made me do this. I know there may have been better choices out there but I got the Forks
    and Yokes for very very little money and I'm delighted with the result.

In answer to your question, it now feels possible to do a stoppie on the GS. :D
  7. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    I've got a dr650 front end--similar brakes. I've done stoppies but I had to get on a downhill and lean waaaay forward. Scared the crap outta me!
  8. bereahorn

bereahorn Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  9. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    This is really weird. I've been used as 'inspiration'. :lol3

:clap

Rock on Daithi! Personally I love those forks. I have a '91 GS and I really think that the DRZ forks are a big upgrade. Big thick and just feel RIGHT. Continue!!!
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Nice bike.

LETS RACE IT :freaky
  11. Daithi

Oddometer:
    I made up a bashplate for the HP1...........
    [​IMG]

......... and while I'll admit it ain't pretty it's certainly functional. :d

[​IMG]

I've bodged the original oil-cooler pipes and managed to get the oil-cooler up out of the way on the downtubes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I've taken the bike out for a few spins off-road and it's brilliant, need to sort out the back suspension though
    but need to maintain the Ultra low budget, any ideas ?. :ear
  12. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    For economical, people like the YSS shock.
  13. Podmiester

Podmiester Podmiester

Oddometer:
    Nice bike Daithi.

I fitted a Remus can to my R100R a couple of years ago. Must say it increased the power performance of the bike.

Rgs Podmiester
  14. subagon

subagon Hopelessly lost

Oddometer:
    Bolt-on R100GS sidestand here.
  15. Daithi

Oddometer:
    If I can find 'em this side of the pond and they're cheap enough..... :augie
    Thanks, the Remus was borne of necessity, but it's lighter and tidier and not rotten with rust. :D

Brilliant, could solve a lot of problems in one fell swoop, thanks Mike.
  16. Podmiester

Podmiester Podmiester

Oddometer:
    Hi Daithi,
    What are you doing with the original front end, lamps, clocks & mudguards ect ?
    I'm thinking of GSing my Roadster.

Rgs Podmiester
  17. One Less Harley

One Less Harley OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer:
    He's boxing up the original body parts so one can assume he's keeping the other bits too.
  18. Daithi

Oddometer:
    Yeah, One Less Harley is on the right track, I won't be selling off the bits. If you have the "roadster" why not get an enduro front end and do the same as I did ? It's surprisingly easy.....
  19. Daithi

Oddometer:
    These things are like hens teeth, got one anyway:

I also have the inside cover from a R1100R along with the rear brake system, unfortunately the only wheel I have that will fit it is from the same R1100R, but it'll have to do till I get a spoked wheel.
    [​IMG]
    I've ordered the Phosphor Bronze pivot bushing from Rubber Chicken and whe that arrives I'll bolt it all up and see how my alignment works out..... :thumbup
    [​IMG]

Next photo should be of the bike complete with disk brakes on the back.
  20. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    Whoa ... That from an R1100? What year? Is it a bolt up? This one won't have the destructive shaft issue ... right? VERY COOL.

:lurk