2013 Dakar - On 4 wheels

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Aquatic, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ZequeArgentina

ZequeArgentina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very good post.
    It is realy that way.
    Dakar 2010 I was at the start and have some simpel chats with a lot of southamerican drivers, and it is true everyone stating they were to start calm and try to reach the end.

I was at El nihuil (day 8) and everybody at the Bivouac looking for results to be published, looking for information on rivals or how did them performed compared to them.
  2. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Good read!
  3. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
  4. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    In the emerging UTV/SSV/SXS class in T3 Light, these guys will be the ones to watch, 3 cars for 2013 from Xtreme Plus, the only SXS out of 6 to survive Dakar 2012 and with the highest level of Dakar focussed development to the cars out of any SXS on the planet to date.

Will be interesting to see the entry list as SXS is a rapidly growing class at most rallies world wide now.

http://www.xtremeplus.fr/

[​IMG]

The 3 Xtreme Plus team XP900's bound for Dakar 2013 ready for loading on the ASO ship at Le Havre.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nassers buggy?

[​IMG]
  6. ZequeArgentina

Oddometer:
    No Rbby Gordon in dakar.com entry lists..........................
    he may have a late entry anyway, but it is an indicato that he may not run this year
  7. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
    Not to worry, that list is as buggered up as the bike list.:rofl
  8. DruncleWill

DruncleWill CRASH TESTED

Oddometer:
  9. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Hot damn, the Qatar Redbull team looks like a force to be reckoned with...lot's of potential there :nod

Also nice not to see a vechicle that looks bad ass unlike those gay looking minis :D
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    :roflI can see a design flaw already (from just this one single blurry photo)... :rofl
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Did you watch the vid ? Even El Matador mentions this Dakar being a first step in a program. To me the vechicle looks sorted and capable...time will tell :1drink
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I can't spell "frontal under carriage protection" in arabic or spanish...

... but I reckon we'll know what "front wheel torn off..." in both languages is come January... :evil

13. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    Yeah... I watched the vid... lot's of good rhetoric and the usual cliches for the sponsors... :rofl

A few more quick knee jerk reactions from the little we saw of the car in action...

1. Rear engine clearance/overhang - very close to ground/exposed.
    2. Spare tyre on side/low... exposed with no under protection... perfect for getting a stone/stick puncture... ideal if you want a flat before you need to change tyres. :rofl
    3. The couple of airborne high spee shots... flies very tail heavy...? :huh

Yeah... no doubt it will be fast (like a lot of the SCORE Class 1 buggies it borrows much of it's technology from)... but for how long/how far? :wink:

I would not bet against the prediction that Strong Bad made earlier in this thread in any case.

But it IS nice to see Red Bull and Qatar get behind two of the biggest names in the DAKAR from recent years and give the two past champions a shot at the race in 2013... maybe it can be developed in years to come to be a contender (like RG's Speed/Hummer outfit)... but four months is too short to deliver a winner for 2103 I believe.
  14. Balkan Boy

Balkan Boy Long timer

Oddometer:
    That body can't be the final product? :huh
    It looks flex-y and weak. Judging by that video, Gordon's hamm-buggy would eat eat it for breakfast. It has a mighty roar, though. :wink:

If they're setting it up for the dunes how are they going to survive the first few days ...

In other gossip/speculation, Nasser doesn't look very healthy.
  15. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

The first few days are primarily dunes :nod
    :freaky
  16. ZequeArgentina

Oddometer:

Both Nasser and Sainz have tested almost all real good Dakar machines in the last years:

VW Touareg (Both Nasser and Sainz)
    BMW X3 (Nasser)
    Toyota Hilux Overdrive (both of them)
    Hummer (Nasser)
    SMG buggy (Sainz), a concept similar to the Qatar red bull
    SAM mercedes (Nasser)

Both have a name on them, as well as Red Bull.

I really doubt they would get in something so bad so easily.
    They know how they will sit against competition,. No other team has so much knoledge of competition as they have.
    There must be a lot of things to develop, as it has been the case with Mitsubishi, them with X raid, or even the endless wallet of VW Dakar project.
    I can not see them fighting for overall win in 2013.
    But I really doubt this thing could be awfully designed or constructed, and have Nasser, Carlos and Red Bull exposing themselves to it.

The logistics, assitance and all what is beneath the special stage itself is really important in Dakar
  17. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    Did I miss something? I'm not seeing Robby Gordon on the list.
  18. ZequeArgentina

Oddometer:
    Not, Robby is not in the list.
    Some numbers are "reserved" though: <TABLE style="WIDTH: 60pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=80 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 60pt" width=80><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=27><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 60pt; HEIGHT: 20.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=27 width=80 align=right x:num>315</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=27><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=27 align=right x:num>329</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=27><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=27 align=right x:num>333</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=27><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=27 align=right x:num>334</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=27><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=27 align=right x:num>422</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 20.25pt; mso-height-source: userset" height=27><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 20.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3" height=27 align=right x:num>454</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    In the past Dakar,s there have been cases of late entries (E.g. BJ Baldwin, 2nd Hummer in 2011, De Garvardo 3rd Hummer in 2010, or even Nasser Hummer in 2012), so it may be once again a Hummer have a late entry.
    Nassrr had his "300" reserved.
    I doubt "315" is for Robby, he must have something like "304" or lower number, but it is not that important.
    He may have 456 and later be seeded in top ten for first superspecial.

the question is: has he all sorted out for Dakar?
  19. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
  20. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I will be very surprised if Rubby Gordon races this next El Dakaro. First there are recent developments with his latest "benefactor" Clyde Stacy, which most likely will prevent Clyde's involvement (and may possibly even prevent future funding). Second, Rubby is up to his armpits in getting the Stadium Super Trucks off the ground, in fact one of the "demo" events for the SST is to be held while the El Dakaro is being raced. Rubby has contracts already with NBC for TV, and he wanted to be the next Micky Thompson.

El Matador and Nasser have both shared major testing time in developing past Dakar race cars. However, there simply isn't anytime to develop the current car prior to this next event. Looks are one thing, bling, bling bodies and graphics are window dressing, races are won with prep, development, and more prep. They have barely enough time to get the shocks set up, let alone figure out what the week links are that will need to be addressed in the bivy every night.