My Husaberg FE570 thread of awesomeness!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ganshert, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I pulled the trigger on an FE570 :thumb

This thread will document the modifications, the good, and the bad things about the bike. They say the FI is perfect and it handles like a 250 two stroke. Well I'm coming from an 03 250EXC so we'll see how it compares handling wise. The 250 is for sale by the way :deal

Let's get started.

First thing I do when I get a new bike is take it apart. I like to check for proper torque and fitting dressing, anti-seize, loctite, or grease depending on fitting and use. I also need to get the basic setup done for my riding style, height, and weight.

Here's what I've done so far.

Taller bars with 20mm risers in the form of an old Scotts sub mount bracket.
    adjusted the controls for good position while standing
    my favorite handguards, Cycra Probend CRMs
    fork springs (pulled from old bike)
    shock spring (need some more work on that)
    Neutech Tubliss front and rear
    Ironman rear sprocket (pulled from old bike, yes they do last forever)
    steering head bearings greased

The bars, guards, tubliss, steering head bearings, and sprocket are pretty straight forward.

I've gone through to main fasteners and checked dressing and torque. I pulled the rear axle and adjusters to put a generous coating of anti-seize on the adjuster bolts. This is a must do to prevent bi-metalic corrosion between the steel bolts and aluminum swingarm. An ounce of prevention blah blah blah...

Suspension

The suspension is the same as the 09/10 KTM 530s so I had a good starting point. I'll have to go lighter than my 03 250 as it has different rear suspension geometry and requires a little heavier springs. As a side note I've also lost over 40 lbs since last riding season so that will push my needs lower too.

I'm not sure what the stock fork spring rate is but they have a preload adjustment so I'll put my .50s in with no preload and see how that performs. If that's too stiff I'll put one .50 and one stock spring in and see what that feels like. Then I can play with the preload on the stock spring and fine tune it. Still might need some new spring to get it zeroed in.

The stock rear spring on the Husaberg is a 7.2 and they say that's for a 165-187 lb rider. The manual says "weight of rider" so I'm making an assumption that it's without gear.

The stock is way too light for me so I started on the rear with a 7.6 The settings are 105 race sag and 35 static sag. I could get the 105 with 10mm (max you want to go) preload but then only had 25mm of static. That tells me I need to go with a heavier spring and less preload to get the static to 35mm. I tried a 8.5 progressive and at 6mm of preload I got 100mm of race and 25mm static. So I'll back the preload off to 4mm or so and see what I get. I'm pretty sure I'll have to go with an 8.0 spring but we'll see.

PITA Alert
    You have to remove the rear shock to set the preload, kind of a hassle but it's only two bolts and the shock comes out easy without having to remove anything else. After I get it set up it won't be an issue because I won't be adjusting preload very often. Just kind of a PITA on initial setup.

Subframe

The subframe is a completely new design. It's plastic. So being curious I wanted to pull it off and check it out. It's very strong and very light. It also appears that the engineers had originally intended it to hold fuel as it's made from the same material as the tank and is hollow. Also leading me to believe it's more than coincidence is that the angles and location and type of mounting of the fuel pump will make is very easy to connect a pickup from the subframe to the input of the fuel pump :clap I've got parts on order to do this and there will be lots of pics. Just so it's clear this wasn't my idea. Lots of people have done it with success, some with failure. In the back of my mind I keep thinking that there is a reason the engineers at Husaburg killed the plan to put fuel in it so hoπefully I don't find out why in a huge ball of flame. 70 Degree Racing makes an awesome subframe tank that is a bolt on replacement for the stock subframe. Unfortunately they aren't yet available so I'm going to play around with the stock one and maybe get lucky.

PITA Alert While the subframe is easy enough to get off it was kind of finicky to get all the electrics back in the tight little pocket. I'm sure it will be easier next time around but I spent a good 30 minutes futzing with it to get it just right. It won't be fun on the side of a trail. I can't think of a single reason I'd need to pull the subframe trailside but you never know.

Here are some pics. Pay particular attention to the tank and airbox setup. All the dark gray plastic is the stock 2.2 gallon tank. The airbox is centered high up inside the tank. Deep water crossings should never be an issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First Impressions

Very good fit and finish. KTM quality everywhere. It shares a lot of major sub assemblies with KTM, brakes, valvetrain, suspension, controls, wheels and hubs, transmission, cylinder and piston etc... basically everything but the frame, subframe, engine cases crankshaft con rod etc.., fuel injection, bodywork, and other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head.

Seems really heavy when I push it around the shop. I've heard this from others and the theory is that the 70 degree orientation of the engine puts the bulk of the weight at the center of gravity. I'm not quite sure why that would make it feel heavier when pushing it around but that's the theory. Also noted that as soon as that engine is spinning that feeling of heaviness completely disappears. It handles very well at slow speeds and kind of goes where your thinking. More on this subject as I get some hours on it.

No cam chain noise, yet. Same adjuster as the KTMs so I expect some as the chain breaks in. I've got a Dirt Tricks tensioner in the parts bin that will go in as soon as the engine is broke in.

I'll post more as I get work done and the first dirt ride in.
  2. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Blah, blah, blah...plastic subframe, cool engine configuration, light weight, great power, sexy blue...hell, even set up with tubeless wheels. Man!...some people just make you want to puke.:lol3

Good writeup, ganshert. The airbox deal sounds interesting. You lost 40 pounds?...way to go!
  3. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Dibs on the 570 for when you sell it in 6 months. :lol2
  4. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    :fitz

the Duke is everywhere and he's watching what you're doing
  5. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    and counting

282 on 2/1/10
    238 this morning
    210 is the goal :deal

I need to get there before June when I turn 40 :nod
  6. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now why would you do that? It's a good bike! :2guns

Oh wait, you mean you bought one. Okay. ;)

I am going to save mine to be used as a possible water tank. Easier to seal for that (water is not near the solvent that gas is, and if it leaks no biggie).

The different color is because this is a different plastic from the subframe now. On the first year they were the same color. Husaberg/KTM changed it so the plastic would not outgas so they could meet emissions standards in Calif.

Also not that Aqualine now provides two aux. tanks. One is a front tank that replaces the shrouds around the stock tank. One is a rear saddle tank. Between the Aqualine tanks, the 70 Deg. Racing tank, and the stock tank you get almost 8 gallons of capacity, and you can mix/match as you need for different riding. I intend to get the 70 Deg. Racing tank first, then the saddle tank. Maybe later the front tank.

The one thing I don't like about the plastic subframe is that it is plastic. If I ever have to tow someone I can attach to it - I would probably tear it off the bike. Not sure how I can a tow strap/line into and around the main frame either. I'll have to think about that.

That was one of the surprises when I first rode it home from the dealer - you just have to barely think about turning and the bike turns. It can surprise you because it does it before you expect it. The downside is that the bike is a bit 'twitchy above 50MPH on the pavement and increases as you go faster. Now mine has the 19 deg. offset and I think yours has the 22 deg. offset, so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on that. I put a damper on for off-road riding anyway and leave it on the slowest setting for street and that removed any twitchiness anytime on pavement, indeed, it is maybe a bit too much until you get used to it. I then tweak it a bit up when I hit the trails depending on where I am riding

I've heard people mention this, but I have about 800 miles on my bike and no problems yet.
  7. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I read that too but I thought it was a different formula of the same plastic. Some even said it was a coating but that doesn't seem right as it's the same color inside and out.

The Aqualine tanks aren't even an option (for me) because of the price. Plus I only want about 3+ gallons anyway.

I never tow using the subframe. Always from the footpeg.

I saw that they changed the offset for 2010. I've never ridden an 09 but I'll let you know how mine compares to other bikes. I never felt the need for a damper on the 250 but put one on my XR650R almost immediately.

I think it takes a while for the cam chain to loosen up but I think by 800 miles it aught to be as loose as it's gonna get. Anybody out there have any experience with KTM cam chain noise and when it showed up?
  8. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Most probably not a coating. Might be a slight difference in the formulation of the plastic, I can't say. I just know that they changed it in some way to meet emissions.

I tend to buy such things in steps. I will get the subframe tank and see how that works for me, but as thirsty as the bike is I can easily see there will be times when I want to carry more. There are some rides I want to do where there will be more than 90 miles between places where fuel is available. I am assuming 25 to 30 MPG as worst case, because right now I get 32 MPG, and that is about par for the course according to others. I want to be able to go back into the back country more than 45 miles before I have to turn around, or to make a loop of more than 90 miles, etc.

Once the fuel is gone from the saddle tank, then its weight is inconsequential, plus it won't be a big deal to take it off or put it on for any given ride.

Right now I am unemployed, so I am keeping from buying any high ticket items that may mean I have one month less of cash to live on until I find another job, but once I get a job I have a big list of stuff to get for the bike.

I was thinking about how to do it. I can't remember the last time I towed someone or had to be towed. Maybe 30 to 40 years ago. But I am building up a list of things to carry, and one of those was a tow strap or line. Yesterday I was in Harbor Freight and they noticed they had 20 feet of Samson braided 1/2" line so I got that - all their tow straps were too big and heavy. Twenty feet really isn't long enough to tow, especially if you have to arrange something around the footpegs as a harness, but I figure that each person would carry half the line, the tower and the towee.

Eliminating the street twitchiness was not my primary reason for the damper - I want to fight the front end less on technical trails where rocks and roots and stuff were working against me. It helped there.

From what I have heard the problem is that the hydraulic adjuster gets stuck sometimes and then the chain is too loose.
  9. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    I thought it was low oil pressure couldn't keep the tension on the chain.

I'll wait until it's broken in and see if the noise increases. Zero noise right now :thumb
  10. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    I haven't followed the issues because until I bought this bike it wasn't an issue for me.
  11. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the bike!
    Good write up! This is what I have done to my 2010 FE450:
    Cycra handguards and moved the handlebar to the forward position. I am 6 feet tall and this is almost enough to make it comfortable for standing, a bit higher would be perfect.
    Mapping switch - the low setting makes a big difference for technical hillclimbs.
    Husaberg skidplate, frame guards and exhaust header guard.
    Bulletproof radiator guards - worth the money.
    Radiator overflow tank, the bike pukes coolant easily.
    I am thinking of an Acrapovic exhaust system to reduce weight and to let the bike run cooler and it costs too much money!
    I am dialing in the suspension. The stock springs are right for my weight and gear. I have set the front forks to the sport setting and the rear to standard setting as per manual and this is better. The front was too soft and I was bottoming. At some point I will take it to a suspension shop to get it fine tuned!
    I ride technical offroad only, but will have it plated in the summer so I ordered the blinker switch and wiring harness. I will put handguard blinkers in the front and flushmount in the rear.
    The subframe fuel tank will be available soon!
    This bike is a keeper, because it handles so well and traction is awesome!
  12. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Went for a little ride this last Sunday.

WOW!

I'm gonna love this bike :thumb

handling = amazing
    engine = amazing

[​IMG]

smug thugged the pic from Region Riley

I tested bump starting it. It worked :clap Wasn't sure if it would with the FI.

I need a Renazco stat!
  13. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stand up.

:hide
  14. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    :fitz

Actually I did a lot more standing than I normally do. It's a lot easier minus the extra weight :nod
  15. Bonnie Abbzug

Bonnie Abbzug Property of Hayduke

Oddometer:
    :clap

You look HOT!!!
  16. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    :shog
  17. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Goddamn! what a piece of shit! :rofl

Just kidding.
  18. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    You put a muffler on that thing yet? Just wondered if it helps much. Went for a ride today. Got about 45 miles on her so far. The engine is a great tractor but I am wanting more pull up top.
  19. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    Still the stock exhaust.

The Akro looks nice but man that's a lot of $s
  20. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Keep the stock can with it's mounting which is supposed to be more stout, and get a straight through core. Then combine that with a 'competition' map and maybe some tweaks of the injector and the airbox. You should get more top side.

Personally, I like it the way it is. If I were to ride in the open, sand, snow, then more up top would be desirable, but I don't, so I like it the way it is.