Asheville to Athens

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by Ben Butler, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Ben Butler

Ben Butler n00b

Oddometer:
    Making a trip from Asheville, NC to Athens, GA the first week of November and would like to take some of the back roads. I'm fairly familiar with the roads in NC, but would love some suggestions for SC and Georgia.

Thanks!
    Ben
  2. fdspenc

fdspenc n00b

Oddometer:
    Ben

We are planning a ride around Asheville NC next week. We are from Missouri and we are looking for some good dirt road riding. Do you happen to have any.

Thanks

Freddy Spencer
    573-289-0396
  3. andy29847

andy29847 Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer:
    I have ridden all of this in the last year - ~212 miles

I don't know dirt from Dahlonega to Athens

Attached Files:

4. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:

Is this route suitable for big bikes?:ear
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just looked this over. I've been on most of the ones in Georgia with my monster Stelvio while two up. There are a couple of them north near the Blue Ridge Parkway though that I am not familiar with.
    There is also a creek crossing on Helton Creek Rd that can get a bit deep at times. I crossed it once on a street bike, yet I have been there on a bike with a lot of ground clearance and decided not to go.
  6. ducnek

ducnek Trying not to feel it too hard

Oddometer:
    Thanks!:thumb
  7. andy29847

Oddometer:
    The creek crossings (multiple on Helton Rd have been easy when I have crossed. The banks are smooth and not steep, the bottom is is good shape. Spring rains may make the crossing deep.

The only section I would be concerned about on big bikes is here:

[​IMG]

You can route around that on paved roads.

It is still early. You may see some crews doing spring road maintenance. Some of the roads may still be closed.
  8. andy29847

Oddometer:
    From PM exchange:

Re: Athens to Asheville
    I haven't ridden from Athens to Asheville. I have ridden all the dirt roads in the Athens to Asheville file.

212 miles is a long way in the Smokeys, especially if you want to stop and smell the roses along the way.

I would guess 60/40 dirt and paved. No private land but state or national forest roads may be gated.

The dirt section east of Hiwassee, north of US 76 (Charlie's Creek Rd) can be challenging if you are on a big bike.

andy