Show me your setup for off-road travel

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Qwik, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Curious to see what you guys run for longer trips off-road on your 950/990s. Trying to figure out exactly what I'm going to need for a Baja trip on my bike.
    [​IMG]
    This is mine in grocery getter trim.
  2. Hiatus

Hiatus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This was my setup this summer for the DakAL trip. 41 L tt panniers and a 20l Rei dry bag. Delorme pn-60 gps, smh_10r commutator, Seat concepts low seat.

41L panniers are WAAAYYYY too big. I will be making the soft bag change. The big boxes want to bounce off of too many things, they also dent when the big girl takes an unscheduled nap.
  3. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Soft bags are in my future but not in my budget at the moment. I'm planning a trip to Baja in mid February. Did you use a tank bag and what's with the commutator ?
  4. Hiatus

Hiatus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of guys like tank bags, I however do not. I find that I can't move on the bike like I want to. Maybe its a moto background but it seems to always be in the way.

Communicator: Riding alone,Tunes!!! and when riding with friends it's nice to be able to talk with out stopping. Hearing not to take the line on the left from your buddy in front is great advice when you are bombing onto a corner on a 500 lb dirt bike.
  5. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Well, that simplifies things. Soft bags are number 1. So, eliminating that, your two Gobi's are plenty of luggage, but carry cam-lock straps to hold them on the rack after you break the lock(s). If you can't fit everything in those two bags, you are carrying WAY too much crap, and you must be camping.

J.
  6. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Yup, camping and quite possibly two up with this one on the back
    [​IMG]
    If she can't make it I will be packing much lighter.
  7. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tim,

here is my offroad setup.

[​IMG]

I used wolfman expedition dry soft saddlebags which work perfectly with stock KTM side racks. They are not that expensive (about $200 for the pair) and carry about the same capacity as the hepco becker KTM plastic hard bags. I have crash tested then a few times and they work very well.:wink:

Mike Z
  8. markie_wales

markie_wales Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This but

a) I like to travel as light as possible, no "extras" that I haven't used before on a trip "just in case".
    b) my mate and I share tools / tubes etc to cut down on duplication
    c) We use cheap hotels rather than camp - I think this is the big one, removes a LOT of weight for our off road riding.

[​IMG]

cheers

Markie
  9. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    For Baja, I just strap a small tail bag, bivy bag and ground tarp on the back with some Rok straps. Camping, I sleep in my riding gear, on the ground tarp and bivy bag. ITs pretty Spartan, but it works really well for Baja outback on many routes.

You for sure want to keep it as light as you possibly can. The Gobis are way too much for me anyway, and you should bring some ratchet tie downs for securing the bags after you break the lock system. FWIW, if you want a free set of Gobis, slightly beat to fucking hell, I left a pair in the Matomi wash a few years ago. :lol3 They are yours if you can find them.

If you can ride a lot of the really good Baja stuff 2up, well, you should probably be riding motos for a living. :lol3
  10. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Loose the hard bags- pack light, in some wolfman soft panniers or a GL Great Basin. In sand weight is your enemy. Adventure medical makes a nice wp breathable bivy is that's good to 50degrees so you can ditch the sleeping bag. I still like a tent- And you can get a 3 man tarptent silnylon weighing about 2.5 lbs. your goal is 30 lbs packed gear total. Including tools and tubes.
  11. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    speaking of light, you need some lights!! AB:D
  12. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Make sure you have a way to secure the hepco becker gobis after something grabs them and rips the latch apart.

[​IMG]

A pair of tie downs and some borrowed barbed wire saved me after a tree got in my way.
  14. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    For Baja? Ditch the hard bags. If you have to have panniers go with softs bags. You really don't need much for Baja. Make some effort to lighten your load, you'll be happy you did when you're down there.

[​IMG]
  15. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No absolute nedd for fancy softbags, I use regular 25$ canoe drybags strapped to the racks with some RokStraps.

This season I'm switching to GCAG straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Here is everything I took with me for 3 months. It's enough to travel indefinitely, including spare parts and tools and such. Definitely bring straps for the side bags; I broke both latches off of mine, but they work okay. They are just incredibly heavy, at almost 25 lbs each, unloaded.

[​IMG]
  17. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    drybags strapped to the racks ($15 Walmart) or borrow a giant loop from a friend.
    Baja is no place for two up off riding you shouldn't bring her. I am not saying you can't do it. How are you going to feel if or when she gets hurt. It is the old west dirty and gritter than you think. Take her to your time share. that big ass gas tank is going to work you. you cant move back in the sand if you have a passenger in the way even if you are on the road most of the time.
    this was to much
    [​IMG]
    this is what too much does
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Don't fall into this trap.

Baja East Cape road, heading to Cabo riding two up loaded down. In and out of deep sand, turned into the ultimate work out. The Gobis stay at home now.

[​IMG]

The "Wans" we're not...:lol3
  19. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
  20. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, guess I'm gonna have to use the credit card some more.