Gray Ghosts' first "real ride"

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by KHJPHOTO, Sep 7, 2010.

1. RWAZ

RWAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I believe that the GS and the GSA have the same suspension the only difference is the length of the shock there fore the GSA is about 2" taller. I believe this is true and if it is you can add 2" to your GS shock with no problem with the drive train. Also the GSA shock will fit the GS.

Check it out.

Roger
  2. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    When various trail reducers are added th efront of the bike does get lower.
    This can be rectified with different shocks or a spring spacer.
    How does your skid plate on the bike look Elmer. If it aint't coming into play maybe you are okay. If it is coming inot play maybe you are still okay. If you are hangiung up constantly then you have a real issue.
    Sometimes one can choose the better route with the bike and let the sidecar do the worst places.
    Seems like the 12GS's have more of an issue with ground clearance than the 1100's and 1150's from my limited experience with these newer models so far. Do others argree from real world experiences?
  3. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    I hardly see anyone from real world experience who has anything to say about longer/better shocks. Even inmate MIKEPA who seems to be the only US sidecar adventurer who has done this and that all over the globe in one of his 1150/1200GS Ueberhacks to confirm otherwise...he used OEM shocks except on his sidecar.

Beemerchef in the USA????

Am I asking for too much ??...My rig ain't a Jeep...nor a Rokon, so stay on smooth grounds....eechhh...:puke1 !

I think that the 1200GS have better ground clearances than the 11xx if using the origiginal OEM shocks but I simply wanted more. Oh, YES, I always applied what you suggested, "choose the better route with the bike and let the sidecar do the worst"....but sometimes in certain rocky ruts like some areas on the TAT I had no choice but crunch over the terrain with the skidplate where another 1" would have sufficed!

Hmmnn....as RWAZ mentioned that the GSA seems to have 2" higher OEM shocks than the standard GS and without issued? That's new to me and Klaus should be informed....:freaky
  4. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Great points Elmer. Any vehicle has it's limits no doubt. Of course how far one wishes to push that given vehicle past it's limits is a personal choice.
    We are building an outfit now that will be doing a loop around africa and then going across Russia and Siberia. Shocks on bike (which has been on the 'global road' as a solo for 3 years already are stock. It is an 1100GS. Pushed ot it's limits and maybbe past them sometimes. Close to 200k on the clock.
    Another instance comes to mind. Sidecar outfit mounted to Triumph Scrambler. One stretch of road in Bolivia(I think Bolivia). It took 12 hrs to travel 8 Miles(or maybe it was visa versa..no matter). Was the outfit up to the task? It made it so we can say yes. Could it have done better with different modification or another outfit have done better? There is always room for improvement.
    Perparation is a big deal but at some point it is just time to go for it and deal with the daily challenges as they surface. If we can learn from those experiences to make things better then good deal. Hardcore adventure touring is many things to many people as is the choice of bike or outfit that they wish to make their home.
  5. Hackpirate

Hackpirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Claude said:

Just so I understand Claude, the triple tree modification by Side Effects that I had done for my V-Strom should effectively raise my front end, correct? Because this moves the front wheel back I would assume this to be so. I installed the Progressive "brand" progressive springs as well at the same time.

Now, I know that I will never have a high clearance trail monster but as it sits now when I sit on the bike with all my 170 lbs. and nothing else but gas, I cannot slide a 2x4 on edge underneath the bike. ( hits a mounting bolt, not skidplate ) With my wife and gear ready to roll, considerably less than 2". On compression, well, you get the picture.:cry
  6. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Steve (hackpirate) wrote:
    >>Just so I understand Claude, the triple tree modification by Side Effects that I had done for my V-Strom should effectively raise my front end, correct? Because this moves the front wheel back I would assume this to be so. I installed the Progressive "brand" progressive springs as well at the same time.<<

To reduce trail the front wheel moves forward not back. This does lower the bike some dependant upon how much the trail is reduced and how the trees were modified. If the angle of the front forks is changed with the modified trees clerance will be reduced. Many times we use fork extenders to be able to regain height on conventional forked front ends. This also requires spacers for the fork springs depending on how the extenders are machined etc etc.
    If the trees are built to move the whole fork assmbly farther forward of the steering head and retain the stock fork angle then we can say that stock ride height will be maintained for all practical purposes. Any change in ride height in this case is usually minor and moreso related to additional sag than anything else.
  7. Hackpirate

Hackpirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Claude said:
    Thanks Claude, now I understand. I'm getting there....

Steve
  8. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike Claude refers to belongs to my wife and I and yes, it has been pushed well beyond its limits on many occasions. But of all the things that took a beating (cracked frame, blown seals, leaking shock, failed bearings in gearbox, etc,etc....), by far the most abused piece of equipment was the bashplate. Reduced clearance on the bike with the addition of a subframe, in my non-existent sidecar experience, will be my biggest concern when we switch to travelling with a sidecar. But then again, I will probably end up doing what we did when we traveled with just two wheels; keep our fingers crossed when the terrain gets rough and fix things as needed. Those daily challenges are what makes it all fun (usually in retrospect but sometimes as they occur:D).
  9. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
  10. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    New product:
    CSM BASH PLATE GREASE
    No longer be concerned about hanging up on rocks and various road stuff when adventure touring.
    Yes. .....Get piece of mind With CSM BASH PLATE GREASE !!! Your outfit will glide over those obstructions with a smile on it's face. Say goodbye to time consuming hang ups, hold ups and goof ups.
    This product will make anyone look like a highly skilled off road warrior. Impress your friends and outrun your enemies.
    You will find that when you are bashing you can keep on thrashing.
    CSM BASH PLATE GREASE will also increase gas milage when on the supperslab as it will reduce wind drag and tubulance under your motorcycle. Plus for rain protection you can smear i tall over your body.
    Multi purpi product indeed!
    Call today.. some real operaters are standing by....maybe.
    If you are into decals we offer them as well....you can buy just th edecal and save shipping while still looking cool.
    Limited supplies call now.
    Call within the next 30 seconds and receive a second order absolutely free!!! ....what a deal.
    Only 2,224.00 USD each....grease or decal.
    The Mismangement at CSM Inc.

Hey Brain..yo rig is coming along well!!
  11. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. martinef

martinef Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is what I needed to read/see/hear more often :thumb I love this kind of statements made by real ADVriders (thanks a lot Brian and Marie). Very often we tend to over think or plan too much, and that drives me crazy (what if something fails, what is you run out of gas, what if your shock blows) well!!! We cannot really know till the time comes. Being ready is a good thing to do, but I guess you never can know in advance what is going to happen in a ADV trip. If we want to feel 100% safe and secure that everything is going to go according to the plan, if we want to make sure nothing is going to fail, or if anything fails we'll have the solution right away, we would need to travel like the guys on "Long Way Around", or just pay for a very expensive "ADV" tour.

Claude: I would like to get some of the new CSM product :D
    Brian: Good to know you will be soon part the sidecar community
    Elmer: Why do you always go the opposite way than me? It was nice to see you on the road again!!!!
    Hackpirate: We are almost there to have the ultimate V-Strom hack
    KHJphoto: Sorry we are using your thread to discuss different topics

Take Care

13. KHJPHOTO

KHJPHOTO Old Man and the Road

Oddometer:
    Hey Claude - Is the Grease color matched to the bike?

But FYI while in Silverton I did "glide" over many a rock. So I'd think if you
    hit an obstruction hard enough you should be able to get over it :D
  14. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Current supplies of CSM BASH PLATE GREASE have been depleated due to the mad rush in response to the previous post.
    When we go back into the La-boar-ra=tory to conjure up the next batch we will surely take into consideration your idea of color matched bash plate grease.
  15. pampine

pampine Warrior

Oddometer:
    I do appreciate the spirit in which this is offered; but I also contend that going out on the road with 2" ground clearance is guaranteed to be disaster, one of those things one prepares for to avoid. It's not just that some bad things "can" happen; but they "will" happen.

All my best wishes,
    Pam
  16. pampine

pampine Warrior

Oddometer:

I saw some photos of TAT terrain and riders on ADV, probably from last year; and all I could ask was why all the Urals taking the trip. I'd think a nice tall KLR or KTM and Enduro style sidecar would be much more manageable, even an Enduro on a BMW dual sport would be a lot better. No? What am I missing?

Pam

Pam
  17. KHJPHOTO

Oddometer:
    I saw some photos of TAT terrain and riders on ADV, probably from last year; and all I could ask was why all the Urals taking the trip. I'd think a nice tall KLR or KTM and Enduro style sidecar would be much more manageable, even an Enduro on a BMW dual sport would be a lot better. No? What am I missing?

The Sidecar! :D
  18. pampine

pampine Warrior

Oddometer:

Huh? I'll consider that non-responsive. :huh

Pam
  19. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really don't know why but I much prefer the Ural for off road riding than my GS rig. I guess the Ural is just a lot more fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. KHJPHOTO

Oddometer:

Not to start a pissing contest; but this is the "Hack Forum" Soooooooo, yes
    if you aren't riding the rig whats the point of posting here?!

Further my research is showing that there are sections that will prohibit the use of a sidecar - width and clearance - most of the TAT is doable with a sidecar.