The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't have any choice about replacing mine. The engine had already been rebuilt three times and was bored to the limit. The shock was worn out to the point of being useless and the forks were about the same. Then it dropped a valve which basically destroyed the engine.

It just wasn't worth tearing into a 17 year old engine that I had already abused so badly. Plus I was actually on a friend's SXC625 having a religious experience about power and suspension when mine grenaded under another friend. So I already knew I wanted to go orange anyway.

I enjoyed my old XT350. But old is the key word. Once I discovered that my knees and legs still worked after a long day off-road on the orange bike there was no way I could go back to being beat senseless. Even the suspension under my buddy's old XR650L is way better than my old XT350.

As much as I loved that XT350 engine and the relatively light weight, there is just no way to bring the suspension up to the level I want. But you can tell I really liked the old beast or I wouldn't still hang out here.
  2. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    The thing is, I think I may have found a way to bring the suspension up to par, as in adjustable USD forks and possibly adjustable damping in the rear as well, with a rebuildable rear shock and an extra 2 inches of travel to match the forks...and it shouldn't cost more than about $300 to do, if it works out. But like you said, it's still an old bike, with some pretty serious inherent flaws (plastic oil pump gears, stretchy cam chain, bad tensioner, open loop frame, etc...). I do enjoy building something unique, though, if it at least makes sense on some level. I'm leaning towards trying to make the suspension work though. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy enough with it.

A friend of mine has a 450EXC that I've ridden a few times. I can understand what you mean about a religious experience, haha. I would go that route too if $$ weren't an issue, being a college kid and such.
  3. MILLENNIUM FALCON

MILLENNIUM FALCON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone make a fork brace for the xt350? Or has anyone fabricated their own? Also.....Ive seen people use the progressive fork springs for the xt250, does this make much of a difference? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here is my bike.... SO you can see why i need some fork upgrades.

[​IMG]
  4. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    If you do get new springs, get straight rate. Progressives give too much initial dive.
  5. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love some info on the Hack. My XT has been a barn queen since I got the WR and the kids Hacks are pretty cool.

I have progressive XR200 springs in mine. It helps a bit, but they are no miracle cure. The extra preload I added likely helped more.
    You can also use the XR emulators. I hear they work pretty well.
  6. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
  7. RunningBare

RunningBare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just finished making a brace for my 83 xt250, couldn't buy one anywhere. I'll get some pics for you.
  8. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
  9. RunningBare

Oddometer:
  10. MILLENNIUM FALCON

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that looks great! Its hard to tell from the picture but What is the clamp part made out of? did you machine it, or was it a premade clamp you welded the other piecec too? It it steel or aluminum. Could you maybe email me a picture so the file would be bigger? Thanks again!!:D

11. RunningBare

Oddometer:
  12. Lenz1

Lenz1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice lookin job on the fork brace Mr Bare - industrial strength good !
  13. thumpthumpthump

thumpthumpthump Thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Would anyone be able to give me the OD or the ID measurement for the collector on the header pipe for the 350? The widest part before the mid pipe . Thanks , thumpthump
  14. xt4ever

xt4ever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Post a pic of where exactly do you want the measure being taken and I will do it
  15. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Its just the big end of the header where its ends and the muffler part fits over.
  16. xt4ever

xt4ever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    35 mm OD
  17. thumpthumpthump

Oddometer:
    Thanks ,thumpthump
  18. hondaacclx84

hondaacclx84 n00b

Oddometer:
    Recent pictures of mine. Running great and saving lots of gas $$$
    [​IMG]
  19. Lenz1

Lenz1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    32.6mm ID on the collector
  20. Skippii

Skippii Did you eat my Zinger???

Oddometer:
    Does this happen often? Because it sucks.
    [​IMG]