brazil postal service

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by kito, Apr 9, 2012.

1. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    how good / reliable is the brazil post ? would you trust it with your tyres ?
    I am starting my trip in suriname then go through french guyuana into brazil heading south taking in all the dirt roads of the amazon. i have heard the price of tyres in brazil is mad and the selection not so good .this leaves me with bringing my own tyres but i realy dont want to carry them. i was thinking if i carry them over the border then ship them from the first city to another city on route. how hard to arrange is this and how reliable ??
    thanks kito <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: vbseo_likeshare -->
  2. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be carrying mine for sure across that route. I'm putting on new rubber in Colombia or Venezuela and carrying my knobs at least the rear for sure. Only tire I want to have to even worry about buying in Brazil is a front.

Then again I carry tire well, some just can't:wink:

John in Bogota sorting my Brasil Visa getting ready for the fun in the jungle.
  3. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    are you going through suriname ? i will be there from the 22nd april onwards if your passing through stop by for a beer or 2 .
  4. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    The embassy said they have a 10 day working window for the visa application so that puts me with the visa by Apr 24 in Bogota and I've got one more area in Colombia to travel before crossing back into Venezuela where I'll be for at least 2 solid weeks before crossing into Brazil.

Maybe we can meet up on down the line.

John in lovely Medellin at the moment passportless which isn't all the bad:wink:
  5. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Postal Service in Brazil is reliable - no issues.
    You will find all sorts of tires in Brazil, but the price............no good at all (sort of double US Prices).
    Another option is to cross into Paraguay and buy them there (similar to US prices).
    Let me know if you need any help.
    Take care.
  6. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    John,

What are your plans ? Are you going to try BR-319 ?
    Let us know if you are coming down to State of Sao Paulo, so we can meet and have a few.
    Hope you enjoy Brazil.

7. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:

thanks for the offer of help .
    do you guys get mitas EO9 or EO7 tyres in brasil ?
  8. luciosiq

Oddometer:
  9. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for that . i now see what people meen about the price for tyres there. I have gone now with the E07 now so hopefully they should last the distance to ride in brazil
  10. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Especially imported goods are very expensive here.
    You should be ok with food, drink and accomodation (all sorts of hotels, pousadas, resorts(if you want)).
    Gas is also going to hurt your pocket - R$ 2.60/litre.
    As far as geography is concerned, I think you will love it.
    If you come down to State of Sao Paulo, I am located on the coast in Santos (near the city of Sao Paulo). Let's go for a ride and have a few beers.
    Have a great time.

11. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its going to be a few months till i am down your way . the gas is expencive by south america prices but still a lot better than we have to pay over here in england
  12. msfazer

msfazer n00b

Oddometer:
    As I posted in Brazil's Thread, I believe the main difficulty won't be finding a new tire, but getting those wherever you are. You can find them pretty easily in Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Porto Alegre.... Southern Brazil, actually.

But, if you need a brand new tire in the middle of the Transamazonica road... you'll have a real hard time to get them.

Also learn the fact that in such places you won't find not even asphalt. So you don't hope to have big stores with bike parts at your disposal everywhere.

Hope you have some good time here in Brazil, do not travel at night (roads are really dangerous most of our country).

As our friend Luciosiq said, you'll see a lot of beautifull places and some hot chicks! You should also take care with them. There are dozens of guys that come visit Brazil and get married. This can be really dangerous!

[]'s!
  13. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    You can't do that. Tires (along with a host of other products whose manufacturers know how to lobby the government) are forbidden to enter the country in the hands of a tourist. Even Brazilian citizens can't go to a neighboring country and come back with a new tire strapped to the bike (or in the trunk of the car).

Welcome to the fuckin' communist republic of Brazil! Cuba has got nothing on us. :hack

Yes, that's a sore spot with me, why you ask? :lol3
  14. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    I will be trying, I did it in Cuba and hope it works entering Brazil out of Venezuela and from French Guiana, I will be sure and have it used and not brand new:wink: One for the soupy sticky mud and one longer wearing variety to get me all the way through Brasil.

I will be in touch Luciosiq when I get nearer, still trying to figure out the loop with the Guyanas and including 319 without staying on the Amazon River for too long:lol3

John in Medellin having a nice wait on my Brasil Visa before heading back to Venezuela for the good cheap stuff:1drink
  15. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carried a tire into (and out of) Brazil. It was not new, but it wasn't all thrashed either or I'd have ditched it. If carrying tires, I'd make sure they look somewhat less than pristine, park around the corner, and just not mention them. I don't remember any actual inspections in three or four entries into Brazil, but I might be wrong about that--all those borders have begun to fade into an amorphous lump in my memory.

Jealous of you Mr. Kito. Do me a favor and pretend it's not much fun, ok?

Mark
  16. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    Well, what I mentioned before is the letter of the law (no new tires can enter the country as luggage), and that damn law is enforced in the more civilized part of Brazil (namely, the south). But entering from Venezuela? That's a no man's land, go ahead. At most, you'll have to "tip" the inspector so he/she can pretend he/see didn't notice the tires.

EDIT: making them look used is a good idea, as is not mentioning them to the inspector. Good luck!
  17. FJakeR

FJakeR Halape

Oddometer:
    Let me know when you get in the Sao Paulo area too. I'll meet up with you and Luciosiq for some riding. I also have a room/tools/secure parking if you are going to overnight in Sao Paulo.
  18. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! Will be in contact for sure as my Portuguess (sic) is more than non-existent :rofl

Looking forward to the big land for sure and the rumble in the jungle, come on dry season:clap

John in Cali for the moment, just a set a new personal best land speed world record of 197 kph on a nice double cam 1200gsa, it was quite nice:wink:
  19. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in 2010 i came into brazil from santa elena venezuela. you are not alowed to carry extra fuel across the border . you will see a compound on the brazil side of the border full of trucks and cars that were caught. When i told the guy on the venezuels side i entered from colombia he wanted to come and search my bike so i had to tell him i had extra fuel ( enough to get me to george town) . He asked me were ? i told him it was straped onto the top of the pannier . he told me to go round the back of his office and hide it in my bag as i wont get searched on the other side . while this was going on he forgot to eaven come and look at my bike. I got to the brazil side and the guy there was the first to realise I was riding RTW with a out of date driving licence. luckily the back of a UK licence has how many years the classification lasts so he accepted it when i told him i had 40 years left. I hope things are still as relaxed..
  20. Throttlemeister

Oddometer:
    Damn glad my bike holds 10 gals of the real cheap stuff:wink: I'll be bringing my tires with me too:lol3 Nice to be on one of the most economical 650s ever built:rilla