Best 4 door sedan/small suv

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by welder, Dec 29, 2012.

1. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    Hey, when you're right, you're right! Just like their bikes.:D

Hope you're doing well.:wave
  2. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's almost 30% difference in fuel economy. That's huge.
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new Ford Fusion looks fantastic inside and out.

[​IMG]
  4. paco pena

paco pena n00b

Oddometer:
    Toyota Rav 4 with the v6 engine. Fast and reliable.

Paco
  5. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    ^^^^

this, except I'd get the manual transmission (which I have), its a capable and pretty fun car with more interior room than you would expect and a reasonable peppy engine for what it is. I think we paid under 15k for a new one. The sport package just gets you body work pieces and different wheels, not really any "sport"

to make this car fun to drive you need to drive it like a momentum car, not a power car, if that makes any sense, the cliff's notes version of that without getting into a long discussion is don't use the brakes much and maximize corner entry speed - leads to a lot of :lol3:lol3:lol3
  6. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    This ^ is what I bought last year. By the time I reach the end of the on ramp, mine is doing 95mph. It gets 23.5-24.5mpg in town and 26-27mpg on the highway at 80. Besides gas and oil changes, it has needed nothing, which means I've missed out on the German brand anal rape experience that so many on this forum seem to enjoy.:deal
  7. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    Yeah but when you can't pull a 20' bass boat with the Escape and you still have to have a full size truck 30% don't mean boo. The escape goes by by and you get a get a little high mpg shitbox to back up the truck. The Escape just didn't make sense in my little world. It's a fine LITTLE truck.
  8. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wait, does Canada have a domestic car manufacturer?:roflSorry, I know some Chevys are built there.

+1 first car I thought of for your climate.
  9. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    My parents bought one of those a few months ago. They just received notice from the dealer that the warranty work is complete and they can pick it up.

Other than that, they like it. My dad says the estimated fuel economy is lower than actual. He is exceeding the estimates. My dad is a big GM fan and this is first new Ford. He is really happy, except for the engine fire recall but at least they hooked him up with a rental.
  10. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    While one example won't change anyone's mind, I bought a new 2006 Sonata in 2005. In the last 7 years I have had to fix or replace exactly nothing on the car. Not one thing. I get better gas mileage than the EPA estimates (got 35.6 coming home 210 miles yesterday) and it has an absolutely huge trunk for being a sedan.

I'm not saying they are the best car, but for the money they are hard to beat.
  11. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    I've known several people with Ford Escapes (both old style and new) that really like them.

I test drove a Ford Focus and Fiesta last year and was really impressed.

I wouldn't write off Ford products, they seem to have gotten their act together lately.
  12. koncha

koncha .

Oddometer:
    I am not talking about mechanicals. I am talking about visuals. The Koreans just look prematurely worn. They don't age well. I am not sure why that is. The paints look faded. Plastics look aged. Interiors look like something from the 80s.

That said, the new Koreans look like they come from completely different companies. They may age better. It helps that the Hyundai raided all of the big car makers for talent back a few years. They needed an external injection of talent to change the culture. It seems to have worked.
  13. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will never buy a Ford product period. My brother in law is a ford guy through and through. He buys new fords (cars and trucks)every couple of years and has nothing but headaches. As you can see from my op I keep my vehicles for a long time. I need a vehicle that will last and be extremely reliable for a long period of time. My 626 has been unbelievable for reliability. I will always buy Japanese or some type of import as I have had great success with them. The only question is which one. As for Camry's being boring, I will trade fun factor for boring any day, as long as I have reliability. cars for me are a tool for transporting people and cargo.
  14. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    3 pages and nobody's yet mentioned the obvious answer:

Gotta get a Tdi.:clap
  15. welder

welder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not into euro trash either:lol3
  16. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    I agree with you. Best to go with Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda. The new Mazda 6 looks great - but obviously out of the $15K price range.

I'd still look at the Altima or Accord.

ps - I have a 10 year old Element. Still looks and drives like new. 82K miles now.
  17. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I'll never understand this mindset. If you're going to spend $x on a vehicle and can choose between The Most Boring Appliance On The Planet (Camry) or something with some actual style and driving dynamics for the same price, why not go with choice B?

Cars like Camrys are bought by people who hate driving. By buying a Camry they are assuring they will continue to hate driving.

The Toyota logo on the front is no assurance of reliability, though the legend certainly does sell a lot of vehicles for them. V6 head gasket failures, Tacoma frame rust, Camry door handles that break...they are no more infallible than any other brand. Believing every Toyota is going to be rock solid and maintenance free because they built Corollas that way in the 1970s is akin to believing VW products are bulletproof because of the Beetle.

But hey, if you're sold on boring appliances, feel free to buy a Camry (though your ownership of a far more fun Mazda indicates there is some hope there).
  18. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welder,

That 1990 Mazda was made while Ford was a major stakeholder in Mazda.

A used Prius might be worth looking at. They are reliable and cheap to operate. You can also look smug as you save the environment. Some people are worried about the cost of replacing the hybrid battery, but they seem to last fine. A junkyard battery is also inexpensive due to low demand.
  19. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:
    If you do buy a domestic, whatever you do, don't buy anything with the name Jeep on it. It is the worst quality domestic out there.
  20. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There's a Honda plant 20 minutes from me in Alliston Ontario that puts out 800 vehicles a day. :1drink