East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too damn funny, At least I hope it was not on a guy:lol3
  2. JayHawk

JayHawk Grandpa to 3, Great Grandpa to 7

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for this trip on the weekend of the 6th.
  3. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    Jay,

Glad to hear you can make it. I thought you might have left town on us.

Bill
  4. JayHawk

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bill. I've got a month and I gotta get another ride in with y'all before I bail.
  5. WantToRideMoar

WantToRideMoar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, that looks like a beautiful site.

Taking the XR on that long of a trip with its current seat should qualify me for an IBA number.:lol3

The following weekend would be best for me, too. April 6/7. Gives me one more week to at least get a better speedometer on the XR, though I probably can't do anything about the seat by then.

Anyone up for maybe a short run out somewhere simple and easy this weekend, out past AJ through Tortilla Flats and around Roosevelt? Just a couple of hours on Saturday morning?
  6. JayHawk

Oddometer:
    You might want to try the Stearns seat pad from Walmart on your XR. It made a big difference on my DRZ.

I was up to Roosevelt last Tuesday and there was a lot of slow traffic on the way back. May be even worse on a weekend, dunno. Post up what you decide, I might tag along.
  7. WantToRideMoar

Oddometer:
    Re: Stearns seat pad.

Evidently now marketed by Coleman rather than Stearns, still made by the same illiterate chinese peasants, probably.:lol3 Located one on Amazon, ordered. I'll have it by Friday. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like a good addition to this bike, and should allow me to go a bit longer without spending $300 on a replacement Corbin seat.

I'll make Friday a garage-wrenching day, installing a Vector speedo on the bike and doing an oil change, strapping the seat pad on... riding on Saturday to test it all out. Maybe a spin up to Young through Globe, and back across Roosevelt to Hwy 87 would be more fun. I'm sure there's a forest road from Young to Gisela somewhere back there in the Sierra Anchas. I don't have my map book with me right now to check.

ETA: Looks like Coffeepot Rd in Gisela cuts across to NF-134/Walnut Creek Rd/NF-129 in Young. Looks interesting. About 50-60 miles across, by my guess.
  8. MikeOlbinski

MikeOlbinski n00b

Oddometer:

First off, thank you for posting a photo of mine :) Second...if you are going to do that, here's a few better ones haha :)

http://www.mikeolbinski.com/theblog/2012/08/the-chocolate-falls/
    http://www.mikeolbinski.com/theblog/2011/04/seraphim-falls/

But I wanted to say that the flow is down from well over 1000 cfs to about 400cfs, which is still nice, but not "amazing". I think in the first photo you posted it was between 100-300 cfs.

Anyways, good luck to you guys, such an amazing spot in Arizona!
  9. Mr Head

Mr Head Tired at the beach

Oddometer:
    Those are great shots. I take it those were not hand held shots. :evil
    I'll miss out on this though. This weekend I have to do the repair on the thermostat on the pfig, (aka Adventure) and the following weekend I ride it home to park it in the garage and drive a car back here for the rest of my short stay. The old bike is in need of some quality garage time. It seems sitting for seven months while I traveled by planes trains and automobiles did not satisfy the old girl's craving for my attentions. The tires should be on the door step at home in a couple of days along with the first of the clutch parts.
    Unlike a normal motorcycle, replacing the clutch requires breaking the bike roughly in half. This clutch rotor does have 91,000 miles on it so I probably got my money out of that. :lol3
    (GS riders are really just KLR riders dressed up for dinner)
    We buy a $25K motorcycle then bitch about the cost of tires.:poser

My grand scheme is to fix all the silly bits wrong, wring the thing to just past 200,000 miles then sell it and buy something orange. I'm still dodging between the 690 and the 990.
    I normally live and work in Orange County and commute about 60 miles a day. That means any motorcycle has to be highway capable and really needs some hard bags, (stupid computers), though I have made due with soft luggage in the past. Hence my leaning toward the 690 enduro. That simpler and lighter thing sort of tugs at my logic. But, the reality is I spend 97% of my time on pavement.
    By the end of summer I should be across that 200K barrier and into bikelessness, and waiting on Three Brothers to deliver my next, last motorcycle. :lol3

My wife didn't realize when I said this would be my last BMW that I was only referring to the marque not all motorcycles. I think that light flipped on last weekend. :wink:

10. James5150

James5150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be up for that ride on the 6th.
  11. JayHawk

Oddometer:
    Having little time left here, now I'm thinking of taking advantage of this opportunity and seeing some sights while up there. I figured I'd split off at some point after the falls to hit Flagstaff, Sedona, Montezuma's castle and whatever else I find along the way and make a multi day trip out of it. If the group would also be interested in seeing any of this it would be a bonus and I'm really flexible. Backroads would be cool with me.

It's hotels for me as well. As much as I'd like to camp, all my gear is packed and in storage.

I guess I'm a modified 2A
  12. IBRiding

Oddometer:
    Jay,

If I had the extra vacation time I would love to make it a extended trip but I don't have any time I can use.

Paul,

I agree with ride 1 and option A, Please let us know the route you have in mind when you can.

Bill
  13. WantToRideMoar

Oddometer:
    "Back roads" = paved?

If 1A is something I can pull off on my street bike, I'd rather take that instead of my XR.

But if we're going to take roads that warrant dual-sport/enduro bikes then I'd take that. Just be good to know whichever it is.

I prefer a 1-day ride that hits some terrain that makes the XR a better choice over a street bike. Willing to camp out, just have to find a dogsitter. Prefer not to.

Have the aftermarket seat pad on the XR, as well as the Trailtech speedometer. Some "interesting" installation issues on the speedometer, but nothing that won't make for good stories and still leave the bike operational. :chace
  14. JayHawk

Oddometer:
    Count me in, through Flagstaff at least.

Thanks for all your efforts Paul.
  15. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    Just don't get caught on lake Mary road after dark. The elk like to have conferences on the road at that time! :eek1
  16. WantToRideMoar

Oddometer:
    Cool. Count me in. Be at Cindy's @ 8AM.
  17. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:

+many to this. After dark you will see elk in the road between Flag and Payson. Todd and I got caught between the Rim and Payson after dark last year. We saw two herds standing in the road. Being caught between them and the 70 mph cages makes for an exciting evening.

Have a great ride.

-dod
  18. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Here's a visual of your ride.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=W+McKellips+Rd&amp;daddr=Winslow,+AZ+to:Leupp,+AZ+to:Grand+Falls,+Apache,+AZ+to:Flagstaff,+AZ+to:Lake+Mary+Road,+Flagstaff,+AZ+to:payson,+AZ+to:N+Country+Club+Dr&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=Fb5t_gEdUHZV-Q%3BFTttFgIdc-Rm-Sm3Q6RgC0IuhzHoJhf1r1HIwQ%3BFRKbGgId0y1i-SkH71Ok8QEuhzE8TQzBmo_fAA%3BFQCWHAIdGTpf-SEFYQ_azHvUySmnO1RI1wYyhzEFYQ_azHvUyQ%3BFUghGQIdL4VY-SkxJi7a944thzEAs9vOoTwfjg%3BFW-HFwIdrupZ-SnZwW99ZLgthzE2ikZ2sdStcA%3BFVRSCgIdMFBd-Sl9Gj5q3RAshzEv2jpY_PjgjQ%3BFbxt_gEdmHVV-Q&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=pay&amp;sll=33.447986,-111.830392&amp;sspn=0.02349,0.038238&amp;mra=mi&amp;mrsp=7&amp;sz=15&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;ll=34.479392,-111.2146&amp;spn=3.169512,4.669189&amp;z=7&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=W+McKellips+Rd&amp;daddr=Winslow,+AZ+to:Leupp,+AZ+to:Grand+Falls,+Apache,+AZ+to:Flagstaff,+AZ+to:Lake+Mary+Road,+Flagstaff,+AZ+to:payson,+AZ+to:N+Country+Club+Dr&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=Fb5t_gEdUHZV-Q%3BFTttFgIdc-Rm-Sm3Q6RgC0IuhzHoJhf1r1HIwQ%3BFRKbGgId0y1i-SkH71Ok8QEuhzE8TQzBmo_fAA%3BFQCWHAIdGTpf-SEFYQ_azHvUySmnO1RI1wYyhzEFYQ_azHvUyQ%3BFUghGQIdL4VY-SkxJi7a944thzEAs9vOoTwfjg%3BFW-HFwIdrupZ-SnZwW99ZLgthzE2ikZ2sdStcA%3BFVRSCgIdMFBd-Sl9Gj5q3RAshzEv2jpY_PjgjQ%3BFbxt_gEdmHVV-Q&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=pay&amp;sll=33.447986,-111.830392&amp;sspn=0.02349,0.038238&amp;mra=mi&amp;mrsp=7&amp;sz=15&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=m&amp;ll=34.479392,-111.2146&amp;spn=3.169512,4.669189&amp;z=7" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Should be a good one.
  19. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing part of the Mobius trip so I'm out. But you guys have fun.

Yesterday I took a buddy of mine through Bulldog Canyon. If you guys are thinning of trying it, maybe these pictures can provide the motivation needed.

:evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:deal

[​IMG]
  20. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Where is this?