XR650R starter

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DA KLIXTER, Feb 18, 2006.

1. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    I'm helping a buddy build an XR650R rally bike,and he wants to add elec. start.Does anyone have experience doing this?Who makes the best kit?Can we mount the battery down by the airbox?Any other input?
    Thanks,
    Chris
  2. JKL

JKL Rider

Oddometer:
    Put on a Edelbrook carb and it's a one kick start - a lot cheaper and lighter then the button.
  3. KarlH

KarlH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put the pumper carb on. Much easier and lighter especially for a Rallye bike.
  4. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A third vote for the pumper carb. No tipover issues, either.

You'll need 12V power for the roadbook, etc... what I recommend is buying a small nicad pack of appropriate size and making it easy to remove. The folks I've spoken to agree that having a small nicad pack on the bike, being recharged by the system, but possibly winding up low at the end of the day, is the way to go. Carry a few spares and charge whichever ones get low in the bivouac every night.

What rally is he planning to run? Does he post here much?
  5. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    ditto

pumper carb

1-2 kicks after a bit of familarity.

really
  6. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    Bike is a first lkck machine if the temps are above 30 degrees and always a first kick machine if having been previously started that day. But if he must ruin the bike and add an electric starter the Baja designs one while ugly seems to be the most durable, although I have heard that all of the starters from the aftermarket somehow interfere with fuel tank size either from the starter or battery location.
  7. MrMike

MrMike No self control

Oddometer:
    I have only had my XR650R for a couple of weeks now. Going into I would only get it if I could get an electric start kit for it. I rode it last weekend with the kick only and it was fine. Until I fell over. 10 minuets of kicking later I was on my way (tall bike, short rider, weak rider, hot bike, flooded bike):knary . I bought a Baja Designs kit before this ride and I'm in the middle of installing it (flywheel off to have ring gear put on and stator rewound). This kit is very simple to put on. Nothing you need a degree in Moto tech to figure out. I will see how it works next week. But with the battery mounted below the carb I think that I will not feel much difference with the weight of the kit. And if I need to do anything really hard the two heavy parts, battery and starter motor can be removed in 5 minuets. So for dual sport stuff I can have it all, and for though trail stuff I can remove the weight and go. I was seriously considering the Husky 610. Even with the pushbutton start system it will still be 15 pounds lighter and have Honda reliability. Yea, I want it all. OK start the attacks :ear
  8. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Banned

Oddometer:
    MR Mike, learning the flooded bike starting drill could have saved you the hassle of adding the starter :) Edelbrock carb also cures the fallen bike start probs.
  9. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice.It already has a pumper carb,but has trouble starting on cold mornings.We do multi-day rides,and he's tired of the regular grief we give him about it.Ned,there's a bunch of us rally wannabes up here-old guys with cool toys.We lead rich fantasy lives. :evil
  10. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:
    Baja Designs makes a cool set up. pretty pricey.

The different carbs sound good, but if your having a bad day in the dunes an electric start will help a lot.

I personally would do both mods on the XR

Heres the link to the a write up on the BD es http://dirtrider.com/drtested/141_0412_baja_estart/