D36 Enduro & Time keeping Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ReferJohn, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    Hello inmates, I have been riding/racing motorcycles (MX) for 36 years.
    This year i am going to race my first ever Enduro, i would like to race the series. However, since i never race a Enduro event i am a TOTAL NOOB
    to time keeping. I have been reading alot, but i don't want to have to shell out $$$$ for expensive enduro computers since i don't know how they work. My XR650L has a odometer, speedometer and i will get a watch for the crossbar pad. I don't have alot of room on the bars, but will try to get
    a roll chart on there.

Does anyone still do the Ol'school way of time keeping? Do I roll my chart at every check point? do I reset my odometer at every check point?
    I am open to any help or criticisim:huh
    Also, anyone here plan on Racing a D36 Enduro?
    i will post in here my progress
    Thanks in advance
    John
  2. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    ANYONE?
    so I am gonna race a Famliy Enduro as my 1st event. tthis way i could learn about time keeping.
    Just curious what time keeping equipment is good for a first timer NOOB?
    please help a inmate.... I know we have well seasoned Enduro racers here.
    my handle bars don't have much room.
    Does anyone (enduro racers) not use the crossbar pad to accomidate their
    time keeping equipment?
    John
  3. total_n00b

total_n00b Bits. Bytes. Bikes.

Oddometer:
    I have no useful information for you.. But...

I am Enduro Curious (greetings from the Fairfield side of 707), and have been considering riding one myself (I'm 42 and have been riding for about 4 years) with my kids. I ride a KLX250s.

Which one are you riding? We're (most likely) going to observe the Prairie City GP (which is a Hare Scramble, so not EXACTLY the same) on 1/18 to get a a feel for the scene

Please let us know how it goes, I'm envious ;)
  4. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    All you truly need is a watch and an odometer. I've never actually seen anyone use a roll chart in a timekeeper enduro, but I guess if you put in the work to make the route sheet, you could use one.

For your first race, just go out there and do it. Contact the hosting club and see if they can put you on a line with a veteran. Try to keep up with them. Stop when they stop. Go when they go. Let them lead you through the race while trying to learn. Talk about strategy. Have fun and finish the race.

Good luck
  5. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    ^^Total NOOB.. Mar 1 is a family enduro. Only 60 miles. I think it gonna be at
    Cow mtn. I am gonna race it. I am 40 years old and was thinking racing the
    40+ group.
  6. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I used a watch and roll chart only.

It is really easy.

Google 'flyin ryan', he is a member here that also has a webpage that does a fantastic job of explaining time keepers.

So after you read Ryan's page, you can decide if I am full of it....

I would set my watch so that it read 12:00 on my minute (let's say keytime is 9a and my number is 10b, my watch would read 12:00 at 9:10a, the time I start.) I take off on my number and watch the time and the corner numbers. I want to be at the corners on time, never early, late is going to happen.

If you are in shape and all that, you should be able to stay close to on your minute. Then you will want to understand where possible checks are and all that. From what I hear, that is where most noobs get horribly confused.

Right now, all you have to remember is that the time on your watch needs to be close to the times on your rollchart when you hit those turn numbers in the woods. It is really that easy. Until you have done your 1st enduro, everything else complicates things.
  7. barnyard

Oddometer:
    You will typically find that a family event has a slower pace and more challenging sections are bypassed. It will still be a hella fun time and I would recommend one to anyone thinking about it. Do not finish up a family enduro and think, "Hah, I got this in the bag." You may be in for a bit of an awakening.

Many others have started threads on their seasons including 1st timers. andrewgore has been keeping up a very informative thread while running the Illinois area hare scrambles series. Search around for the others. You will find a common theme for beginners: get a camelback, eat well the days before and make sure that you hydrate before, during and after.
  8. barnyard

Oddometer:
    Supercross is on and I am in the mood to talk racing.......

at your 1st event show up way early. Try and meet and few people and maybe find someone that has done a few enduros. Ask if you can ride their minute. My experience has been that enduro guys are not as guarded as MX guys and will help a new guy out.

You should find a decidedly different atmosphere in the pits and that generally carries through to the racing. If someone is behind you, let them pass, you are not racing them, you are racing the clock.

I have not raced in a couple of years now and it is one of the things that I truly miss. I miss my race family, the riding and the competition.
  9. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    You might think about joining one of the local clubs, north bay MC or Richmond Ramblers are two that are pretty close by. There are people there that have done these events for decades. I don't race, but a co-worker of mine does all the D36 family enduros, and I talk about it with him quite a bit. I think you should go out there and ride the event, trying to stay on your minute. You'll learn quickly enough about where the checkpoints can be, and where you can build up a time buffer. You'll also figure out if you're comfortable on a dual sport bike on these events. If you stick with it, I'm guessing you'll at least want an odometer that's easy to reset.
  10. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    WoW..Thanks for the helpful tip INMATES, really is great info.
    I am D36 and AMA member, I have lots of northern California tight trails experience even with the XR650L, It has non-DOT Knobbies:evil,4.0 gal tank,
    a working HORN:rofl,mirror will be removed
    [​IMG]
    It has the Stock o.e.m odometer that is resetable.
    I have NEVER raced a enduro, so there will be Learning
    1)? do i reset the odometer at every Check? or when do i reset the odo.
    2)? Key time, lets say key time is 0900, my minute is 32- do i set my watch to 0932 or 0900 when i leave on my minute?:ear.
    Again THANK YOU fellow INMATES and enduro RIDERS
    JOHN
  11. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A quick search came up with a couple of links:

http://www.john-stichnoth.com/EnduroNewbies.html
    http://www.dirtrider.net/sera/first.htm
    http://www.dirtrider.com/features/online-exclusives/141_1002_national_enduro_racing_guide/

My .02……

1) Family enduro first is sound advice.
    2) If possible camp out the night before the enduro.
    3) Enduro folks are really helpful. Just about anyone will give you advice if you ask.
    4)You will need to display your race number(usually your "minute"+a/b/c or d) on the front of your bike. Entry level solution use white duct tape and black electrical tape
    5) As always be prepared. Whenever possible have all your chores completed the day before:
    *Registration, sticker on helmet.
    *Tech/sound inspection
    *Camelbak loaded with water, snack/sandwich, tool kit, etc.
    *Watch set to key time.
    *Bike fully prepped and fueled up.
    *Fuel can delivered to the fuel transfer truck.

Your riding will improve and you will have a ton of fun!
    Meet some of your fellow racers, ideally the night before, they will answer your questions and give advice.
  12. barnyard

Oddometer:
    Do not pay attention to the odo. All that will do is confuse you at this point. Another poster blathers on about a reset format, do not pay attention to that. It sounds like you are doing a time-keeping enduro and that is what most are describing. A reset 'enduro' is a one lap hare scramble.

If your minute is 32, you want your watch to read 9a at 9:32, so you want it 32 minutes slow. I based my keytime at noon because route sheets would have the time marked as hours and minutes, not time. This will make perfect sense when you are looking at a route sheet, but can be confusing without it.

A lot of what confuses people about an enduro is over-thinking it before they even get to the start. They get over-whelmed and never start.
  13. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    Thanks Phil & Barnyard,
    I am reading links, learning and NOT OVERTHINKING.
    YEP , My first will be a FAMLIY enduro.
    Barnyard-- I get it now with the 12:00 key time, makes sense to Me.
    I am gonna get a roll chart holder and a Large digital clock.
    I have my race #.
    am I gonna need a scorecard holder for the front fender?
    Barnyard how many Enduros you raced? I checked ryans page..more good info.
  14. barnyard

Oddometer:
    I did 3 full seasons and part of another. I am a member of 2 clubs that each run an enduro and have been part of discussions on how to attract riders. I am not an expert by any means, but I 'get' how to do an enduro. Riders that say you HAVE to have an enduro computer to run a timekeeper, have never run a timekeeper. I also think that talking odometer to someone that has never run an enduro is making things too complicated for a noob. Keep it simple and you will have a shit ton of fun.

When we set up our enduros, we always spent a bunch of time talking about making it challenging enough that A guys did not all zero out, yet not so tough that all the C guys houred out or quit. Many times, that means adding an A/B loop, sometimes it just means that there has to be a legit tie-breaker check because the A guys are all going to do well.
  15. barnyard

Oddometer:
    No. Just tape it to your fender. Watch where others tape theirs and tape yours the same. In the 80's, when I did my 1st event, we taped scorecards to the rear fender, where they stayed a little cleaner. I took 20ish years off and the new norm is taping to the front fender.
  16. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Latch on to a A rider and don't pass him! from the looks of the bike your riding that probably not going to be a problem:freaky
  17. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    Barnyard Thanks for the help again, I have a link to a famliy Enduro route sheet from 2012, they show key time @ 0900 and run hour format
    http://www.cera.org/Events/Crazy/2012/CM2012Routesheet.pdf
    would I still set my clock at 1200 or do the 0900 with this example?
    IF I am being a PIA let me know, I really do apperciate your help!

JOHN
  18. barnyard

Oddometer:
    9:00.

You want your clock to show the same numbers as the route sheet.
  19. barnyard

Oddometer:
  20. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Barn- I'm gonna try your method of the clock and route sheet (i.e. no odo).

You will ALWAYS have discrepancies in odo mileage from the course mileage, but the time will always be right (assuming you have a good clock synchronized with key time). If you hit a marker early, slow down. Hit it late, speed up.

Generally, I haven't really worried about keeping time. I'm a C-rider, but I've gotten a lot faster in the last year since I got a lighter bike.