HALP! 2003 TXT300 Pro vs. 2004 Rev 3

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Wallrat, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to get my 1st trials bike. I'd consider myself above average skill level on technical terrain on my KTM 450EXC but hoping to do a bit of cross training and hone my skills further. Most likely the bike will be for messing around at camp or riding next to my 3 year old son 80% of the time, although I'm definitely going to enter some competitions. I'm a big guy at 240lbs with gear but I have a 110lb wife that might occassionally want to putt around camp next to the kid as well so ease-of-starting might be a consideration if there's a significant difference.

I've found 2 bikes that seem to fit the bill and are in basically the same condition and will cost me about the same to own after travel expenses (neither is very local).

Any advice for one over the other?
    2004 Beta Rev 3 270 (leaning towards this one simply because its a fellow inmate)
    2003 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro (Owner says he used it for about 6 hours total)
  2. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    I have an 04 rev3 270, I love mine. For me it balances better than the Gasgas I had before (it was 10 years older though) the frame and suspension are awesome! The only thing I would say to look for is to make sure that there is no contamination of the tranny fluid by coolant. The 04 has a magnesium casing and if the coolant isn't changed regular it can eat through the casing. Ask the current owner, mine had been sitting for a while and I had to get a new case. Even at that I find the build quality of the Beta better and the performance better YMMV. Either one will be the most fun you've had on 2 wheels :clap
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Beta is more reliable by far, the Gas Gas is 20lbs lighter. The Beta starts, tracks and is happy. The Gas Gas is more fun until it sits in the garage. Just saying!
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    110lbs wife starting a 300... Maybe with a low compression head? An I would say maybe... And I would still think the beta a hard start for her, as my wife can't start my 250 cc 4RT even with the compression release on the 07 I have when warm.

Just my 2 cents...
  5. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

She's pretty mean when she gets airborne.

I ended up going with the Beta. Pick it up on Monday :clap
  6. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the Beta.
    If you are like me, the transition from enduro to trials requires a begginers approach. For me, its like I've never been on a bike before, even though I've been riding dirtbikes since 1972. Remember the clutch is now your best friend.
  7. jontow

jontow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to agree, here.. I still feel funny when I get off the trials bike and onto either my TW200 or XL600R. Takes a few seconds to re-learn reality.

Also: I fought the same internal battle over Beta vs. GasGas late last year, and ended up going with a GG 280, which has been treating me pretty well this winter, even with all the ice and snow. I put 50-60 short hex head screws in the back tire and have been riding as long as it's above 0F out. I keep a good bit of area plowed besides the driveway, and try to pack a few snowbanks in pretty hard, too.

Most fun on 2 wheels: yes.. yes very much so. Enjoy the new bike!
  8. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now...... If you need parts, I know a really awesome dealer in Illinois !!!! :evil:evil:evil
  9. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Ya some of the lighter ladies can learn to use what size they have to make it work! Have a friend like that, but that's the rare ones. And congrats on the ride! :clap
  10. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She mostly rides a 450 quad so she's used to having more power than she could possibly use.
  11. BEEF706

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the dark side! The best advice I got when I started was to make sure you cover the clutch with at least one finger all the time (you'll understand the first time you accidentally grab a handful on a bike with no seat :D)
  12. joe cool

joe cool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats Wallrat! I'd say you made the right choice, but I'm Beta biased.
    Enjoy your new ride:clap
  13. nwcycle

nwcycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Best thing to do is check the counter sprocket if its stock, I would go to the smaller one, this will make it a bit less peppy for her.
    And if she is really digging it, look for a flywheel weight which changes everything, you could leave it in 3rd gear and ride all day....
    G L with the new toy !!!:clap
  14. slicktop

slicktop Long timer

Oddometer:
    SHAMELESS:1drink
  15. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good advice! :freaky

Figured I'd need to swap out the springs for my fat ass but wasn't planning on doing much else. Will see how the gearing feels as-is and go from there.
  16. ericm

ericm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can also retard the timing to soften the motor some.
  17. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I am guessing you know but in case you don't; trials bikes are much softer than you would expect so fined someone with experience setting up trials suspension.

You also might be surprised how much you can learn and do with stock setup even at your size. I have a friend about your size and he rides stock and dose fine... Just a perspective for thought.
  18. BEEF706

Oddometer:
    I bet you won't need the springs, there is enough preload to accommodate my beefiness, and I keep softening them as I learn :deal
  19. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah darn. Preload all the way tightened and I'm still at 2.875" sag (should be about 2.1"). I better lay off the burgers lol.
  20. neilking

neilking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three hours of that six was trying to start it. hahahahahahah