Anyone in Kingston, ON

Discussion in 'Canada' started by frankiebpr, May 14, 2009.

1. frankiebpr

frankiebpr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was wondering if there is anyone located in Kingston or nearby that is interested in riding.

Frankie
  2. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I will be in mid july, moving there from trenton, already been riding the area there for years, happy to hook up with you if you want.
  3. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm just north of town. Don't know the area that well yet - only been here a couple of years, but would enjoy hooking up with both of you for rides.

dc
  4. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    Where about's North? I have a cottage just outside Verona.. I know, and Drift10 knows some fantastic roads.
  5. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Colebrook - near Yarker. About 10 mins from Verona.

Let me know when you're going to be out for a ride!

dc
  6. Ktowncarola

Ktowncarola Ktown Carol

Oddometer:
    I live in Kingston and am new to dual sport riding! And happy to go on a whim after work or on weekends. I have big knobby tires on right now so would love to try some back roads.

Carol
  7. frankiebpr

frankiebpr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, I would love to go for a ride and explore some of the off road around Kingston or up north. It looks like some of you guys know the area pretty well. I am also new to dual riding and don't know where the fun trails and routes are. I am away for next 2 weekends but maybe after? (may 30-31) I can also meet for short evening ride... just send me an email

F.:clap
  8. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    hi i`m in amherstview and have been dualsport riding around here for years i`d be happy to show you some of my favorite loops .i ride most weekends and plan on heading north on sunday.
  9. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Dual sport the RDZ?

I might have...once or twice. :ricky
  10. doughy

Oddometer:
    Who has GPS? it's one of the best ways to put out some tracks for you new people to enjoy the area.. Crow lake road just before Sharbot lake is fun, so is Hitchingbrooke just before Verona. If you have GPS, go into your "routing" settings, and change them so it avoids everything EXCEPT unpaved roads. Then put your destination to Westport.. Enjoy! Also make sure you run the raod that runs along side of Wolfe Lake. I think it's called westport rd. I do know you turn right when your in Godfrey (at ball sports) and just keep going up that road of twisties and fun.

Also Gps the same way "only on unpaved roads" to Oompah, it's another fun rip.. Mountainview rd.
  11. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    maybe once i get the rz finished i`ll slip on some trailwings,a set of high pipes...or just keep flogging the old klr.
  12. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Knew a guy who had an RD/LC set up as a dirt bike. Nothing like 100 mph on the dirt, crossed up, looking for the next gear. :ricky
  13. Ktowncarola

Ktowncarola Ktown Carol

Oddometer:
    I went for a little tour after work a couple of weeks ago and stuck the GPS to the tachometer with the little suction cup. Did I ever feel like an idiot when I turned left and watched the unit fly off the bike :huh --I was used to my 1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim where the whole steering unit turns. So where do I mount it and how?

The GPS also took me onto a road that was private and I didn't feel comfortable continuing on my own. I was heading up towards some of the lakes off of 38.

Also--how do I know if this thread has been added to--do I have to check it to see? And how do you get to threads you frequently view without going through all of the menus?

Thanks!

Carol
  14. doughy

Oddometer:

You gota get a Ram mount..... And, just look at your "thread tools" and it will let you Subsribe....
  15. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Go to The Source first. They stock Ram Mounts now. They have a kit that clamps to your bars, you should be able to use that. You'll also need a cradle for your gps that is specific to your model of gps. You mate all that up, and your gps is secure. You should also run it off the bike's power, because when you're riding off road with more bumps and jarring, it's not uncommon for the batteries to momentarily lose contact, causing it to shut off. So wiring in power to that is another thing.

It would help to know which model of gps you have. :ear
  16. Ktowncarola

Ktowncarola Ktown Carol

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will check out The Source for the mount.
  17. nut4obx

nut4obx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am not much of a "joiner" and am a total newbie but I could be interested in some guided tour / get together rides if the intensity is not too intense. Unlike Carol I do not have big knobbie tires I only have the Bridgestone Deathwings ( ha ha) I have ridden some of the back roads in the Frontenac Arch on my DRZ400. Maybe Kingston area riders need to have a Facebook page or a Twitter account
  18. doughy

Oddometer:
    You can set up your group right here, like is done in the GTA, or Durham oppurtunities.
  19. Ktowncarola

Ktowncarola Ktown Carol

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the ride north tomorrow with Mike (ststrider). Bought some waterproof goretex ex military boots at the Army Surplus downtown Kingston today ($59!!!), so my feet might be dry anyway. Picked up some lightweight camping gear as well - it's like being in a candy store!

No luck with the GPS mount at The Source - the guy didn't know much and the mounts were all for Magellans. I suppose if I ever get a tank bag I can just stick it in the map holder.

Also figured out the thread notice so thanks to all for your help so far!
  20. WHALENTJ

WHALENTJ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI I will try to find you at the trial . Tim