LF: Motorcycle Rental - Santiago, Chile.

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Global Rider, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Anyone have any experiences with or know of any motorcycle rental companies in Chile, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks.
  2. Farioli

Farioli "just do it" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in 2003 I rented a KTM 640 in Chile. The KTM distributor there is pretty good. I booked the bike from here (US) and I combined a business trip with a pleasure trip. I pick up the bike in Chillan (250 miles south of Santiago). The bike was ready to go and in execellent shape. I went to Pucon and I rode close to the border with Argentina.

rental fees: $ 99 per day.
    Service: A+
    Bikes:A+ (640's, 400's)

They have the main office in Chillan and a branch in Santiago.

More info: www.ktmchile.cl
    and http://www.southpacificcross.cl

Antonio
  3. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Thanks Antonio,

Was full coverage insurance included with a deductible?

One company that I found on the net had KTMs with liability insurance only. They wanted a US$6000 deposit for the bike...they can continue dreaming.

Did they include the necessary documentation so that you could cross over into Argentina?
  4. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    An acquaintance of mine owns two KLR 650s he keeps in Santiago, Chile. From what I gather, bikes there are about the same price as the states. He had to get a Chilean Social Security number before he could purchase the vehicle which means one must have an address in Chile. I believe he used the dealer's address. Getting the Social Security number was no problem whatsoever.

There are Kawasaki Dealers in Chile. I was able to find the following info for the Chilean distributor who could probably connect you with a dealer.

CIDEF S.A..

AMUNATEGUI 178 PISO 3
    CODIGO POSTAL 6640111
    PROVIDENCIA-SANTIAGO
    TEL:(56)2.540.6173
    FAX:(56)2.540.6177
  5. BastrdHK

BastrdHK Twin Grin

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys....reviving an old one here, but I hope there is some new info,

My new wife and I are in Santiago, Chile now on our honeymoon. We both ride and are craving some two wheel fun while we are down here. There are tons of motorcycles down here, mostly single cylinder cruisers or Honda CB look alikes. I have seen a brand I have never heard of (KeeWay) that makes H-D replicas....they look sound like they are less than 500cc.

Anyway, the sites I visited were expensive...$100 US per day and up for 400cc. I don't know if that includes insurance.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Anyone just buy a bike and resell it before they left? We are traveling south from Santiago to Patagonia and through Argentina to Buenos Aires.

We have packed extremely light....we could fit everything in one set of panniers and a top case. Renting/buying two 400cc bikes would be ideal, but I guess I could talk her into two upping on a 650cc+.

Roads in Santiago are nice and the Andes are beckoning in the distance....any info/help would be spectacular!
  6. ChileGS

ChileGS ChileGSer

Oddometer:
  7. chessing

chessing on the road

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex,

when do you need the bike? I will sell my KLR650 with Canadian registration within the next 8 weeks. I am in Puerto Mont today and at Ushuaia by the end of the week.
    The rest of the trip is the way back to Santiago, and I can sell at any point after Ushuaia.
    For Details please see:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=750877
    I have a place where I can store the bike until summer/fall

best regards
    Christian
  8. BastrdHK

BastrdHK Twin Grin

Oddometer:
    Thanks ChileGS, bikes are US $100+ per day and economy car is US $50. We will likely rent a car and drive to Puerto Montt, and take a day trip on bikes where the opportunity permits. Bikes are just not economical for two of us.
  9. Ride-Chile.com

Ride-Chile.com n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys

For others who find this post!

We are a Danish/ Chilean Motorcycle Tour & Rental company situated in the heart of Santiago.

We can offer visitors best service on rentals and tours at lowest prices in Chile. We operate with price guarantee, so if you find it cheaper elsewhere, we will offer a lower rate! Visit our page at www.ride-chile.com

We offer:

BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha & Honda with free mileage, 3rd part liability insurance for Chile + all you need for overland journeys...

We also welcome motorcycle travelers to drop by if they are in Santiago, Chile. We always have a place where you can do service for free on your bike with all tools needed + stick/TIG welding... Should you need assistance or a bed for a few days, contact us on: adventure@ride-chile.com - We are former around the world motorcycle travelers and knows what it means when people reach out their hand while being on the road ;-)

We import our own original parts for BMW, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda & Scottoiler and can offer you the best prices in Chile. Furthermore we always have stock on tires from Pirelli & Metzeler with tire changer/ balancer machines.

Our workshop includes motorcycle maintenance + engine rebuild.

See more on www.ride-chile.com or contact Mick or Tomas on email above.

Happy riding and see you all in Chile.

Cheers

Mick
    ApexJeff likes this.
  10. alainmax

alainmax ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer:
    +1 on ride chile .com

we rented their 660 teneres and had a great time :clap

Mick is a good guy, nothing is cheap in Chile
  11. Antoine82

Antoine82 n00b

Oddometer:
    We also rented with ride-chile.com, the guys are nice, but we were debited USD 1,400 with no prior notice after we left Chile. It's been a year and they do not answer my emails.
    Be very careful with these guys.
    ApexJeff likes this.
  12. wilson

wilson Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, RideChile any answer to Antoine82's post ?
    I would think you would want tell your side of the story ?
    Thanks , thinking of riding Chile, W
  13. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    www.motoaventura.cl was great to do business with March. 2016.
    Saved my trip when my DR650 broke 3rd gear.
    Rented in Punta Arenas and rode their BMW back to Santiago.
    They hauled my DR back to Santiago for cheap.
    Headed down next month with replacement engine and move DR to Peru.

This guy has a purchase/buy back program that sounds interesting in Huánuco, Peru
    www.aroundtheblockmotoadventures.com/