kubiaks tw650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by kubiak, Jul 12, 2012.

1. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    a few members could not find this thread so im bringing it back up.
  2. Milosh

Milosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kubiak, that is a great job and I think it would be, for me, the perfect motorcycle.

Again, excellent work.
  3. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Milosh! i liked the f650gs when i got it but after the mods i really like it! it works perfect for my exploring hidden trails and stuff.
  4. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]trying out different exhaust systems again. ended up with the ugliest one but best sounding one. its a old school tunable supertrapp.
  5. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    one was too loud one was too quiet supertrapp wins!
  6. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    got more discs and endcap coming to play around with the exhaust.
  7. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't like Super Trapps, but I must admit it looks really nice and blends with the bike better than before. :D
  8. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea the old supertrapp mufflers are pretty ugly. i tried to hide it under the side panel a bit lol!
  9. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Honestly I miss the big one you had on there. I can only imagine how quiet it ran.
  10. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    yea i liked the looks of the big ktm 690 muffler the best too. it was super super quiet though. iall i could hear was the engine noise and no exhaust!
  11. flatfender

flatfender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Kubiak, pretty nice bike there.

I'm wondering how does the 80/180/14 Bridgestone compare in size and traction and to the Pirelli MT60 60/160/17 you had on your XRL? and was that the only tire you mounted on the 5.5" rim?

Then you had another 3.5 x 17 rim and a monster size knobby, what was that tire size?

Man after reading this thread my 140TKC's look like pizza cutters!
  12. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey flatfender nice to hear from you! its been so long since i had the mt60s mounted on the xr but i remember they were excellent on wet and dry pavement,a little soft and wore pretty fast but i liked them. the bridgestone 180 is a whole different tire, its a big balloon tire but actually really grippy and super stable on the pavement. the diameter is the same as the stock 140-80-17 i had on my dakar and the width is 7 inches wide so its probably a little smaller diameter than the 160-60-17 and wider than it too. i think i had a few other 160-60-17s mounted on the 5.5 rim on the xr too and they were all pretty close to the same as each other. i think i had a pilot power and the shinko rain tires on there too. on the second xrl with the 3.5 rear rim i had run metzeler karoo 140-80-18, pirelli mt21,dunlop 606 and shinko 244s. i do remember running a cheng chin 530x17 on a 17x5 supermoto rim once and maybe thats the huge knobby you are thinking of?
  13. flatfender

Oddometer:
    It's hard to say exactly what I was thinking of, you've had so many different tires and rims. I think it was one of the last tires you put on your XR-L. I'm trying to figure what the biggest tire the XR-L could mount without having to move the chain out and widen the swing arm. I think the TW200 rim and XR-L hub would work but the 180 tire too wide. My bike really needs a new look and I really like the direction you took your Dakar. I found out the many benefits of bigger softer tires building this thing over the winter.

It's an 84 Honda ATC 200 Big Red. It was a hard tail originally and not good for bumpy rocky trails on my back. I installed a swing arm and shock from an 84 TRX200 FourTrax. These big floaty tires have a ton of traction and add a suspension of their own, air pressure is only 1 psi.

[​IMG]

It's been a fun project, mechanically it has an enclosed shaft drive, high/low/reverse sub transmission, electric and pull start and an auto clutch. Cosmetically its a dog, you can't find any good plastic for it and I butchered the fenders trying to repair cracks. I wish I had your skills and workmanship. It is now finished, I can't wait for the snow to melt in the high country and try it out on some rocky steep trails.
  14. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:
    I hope Kubiack dont mind . :deal

Small Jack .

Flat ,

I suspened my 200s 10 yrs ago , totally diff machine .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. thebigman

thebigman XR's all the way . Big Thumps or V-twins

Oddometer:

I had a 160 on mine before with no Problems , Just had to offset the the hub inside the hoop about 7mm . :deal
  16. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice work on the atc! i had a bunch of them growing up and loved those things! yea the tw tire on a 4 inch wide rim is 7 inches wide. so if thats too wide to fit in the chianline of the xr how about a 150-70-17 kenda big block or tkc80 in there? you could use a supermoto wheel/rim in a 4.25x17 to 5.00 wide should work in there i would think.
  17. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice work! i love seeing custom stuff!
  18. flatfender

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info but I really wanted something bigger. I might see if an Africa Twin has a wider swing arm but that's probably a stretch. Like you said the chain line only allows for a 6 inch wide tire. There's a few guys making fatcats and that over on 3wheelerworld and they have some good ideas and fab work. Here's a picture of the little turd all finished, for now.

[​IMG]
  19. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    nice atc! how about a fatcat or bw setup? thats what i was working on at first but thought here in california i might get pulled over for non dot tires. i had a atc250r front end i was going to put on my dakar and build a swingarm with a jackshaft for the rear for the atv tire. the xr would be easier for the atc front end for sure being air cooled with no big radiators to get in the way.
  20. flatfender

Oddometer:
    I have another ATC200M I was going to make a FatCat out of someday. Should be easy and cheap but with a top speed of 45 not something I could take on the road.

I think the jack shaft adds too much length to the swing arm plus you couldn't widen it just a smidge because of chain width. Below is a quality ATC250R conversion with the much wider ATV tire. Same principal as a jack shaft on the XR-L swing arm, but with the TW tire you just wouldn't go as wide.

If I made a custom counter shaft that moved the front sprocket out a half inch the frame and swing arm would still need to be widened, and probably the hub too. Then there's no turning back at that point.

If there was a 160/80/14 available the deal would be done. I think I may consider buying the TW Bridgestone tire and having a narrower rim turned, mount them and see if the TW tire can be squeezed down to 6 inches wide when inflated to 25 or 28 psi. As always thanks for your reply.

[​IMG]