Penny Tech Panniers

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by pilot, May 15, 2003.

1. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Tired of high prices for panniers? These do the trick at around $100 a pair. These are Merimite Food Containers courtesy of good old Uncle Sam.

[​IMG]
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    This is what you get. They come with these annoying inner cans. If anyone knows what to do with these, let me know.

[​IMG]
  3. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Give these away if you can.

[​IMG]
  4. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Remove the gasket and cut here all the way around the liner with a sabre saw.

[​IMG]
  5. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Next cut the liner in half lengthwise. I used an angle grinder. This is the worst part of the whole process. Then pry, cuss, pry, and pull these out of the boxes.

[​IMG]
  6. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    You then have to remove the insulation from the inside of the can. I used a putty knife to scrape all the foam out starting about an inch down from the fiber gasket surface. I left the top inch in to support the gasket surface. I then painted the interior with truck bed liner in a can. Use plenty on the foam at the top.

Next is the latch and mount. I used eyebolts from Airparts for the lock hasp. Drill and cut out the tab to allow the eyebolt to pass through. The Happy Trails mount bolts on the back. Two more holes at the top for the hold on bolts and your through.

[​IMG]
  7. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Here is the completed latch.

[​IMG]
  8. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    This is the Happy Trails mount.

[​IMG]
  9. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Here is the rear view of the bags on the bike. This is the setup I used through Mexico and Guatemala this winter. Lots of room, water tite, secure, and quite ugly to match the KLR.
    You don't have to worry about trashing a $1000 set of boxes if you fall over. I didn't crash test them yet, so I don't know how well they hold up to abuse, but for the money, who cares?

[​IMG]
  10. Chopperman

Chopperman Hostile. But not Stupid

Oddometer:
    You can make a pine cone stove out of those. Or a parts container. Or stuff your tool roll in there to keep the greasy bits off your shaving kit. thousands of uses
  11. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    Love the care you took to explain the whole thing.

I thank you in the name of everybody,that belive in autonomy, I love the felling of creation....:evil

Great JOB
    :jive :jive :jive :jive :jive
  12. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I saw some of these on some surplus Web site, and you can imagine what I was thinkin'. Later saw some on a KTM at Mid-Ohio, but saw no trace of the owner. Been real curious about it until now.

The inner cans look about perfect for dippin' carbs, or for tool boxes instead of the ever-popular, perfectly hideous PVC pipe. In fact, they look just like something I was looking for lately, but doggone if I can remember what it was.

Very nice job on the tutorial!

AndrewH is lookin' at a pair of these...think you can whip a tape on'em and give us the dimensions?
  13. TXGSrider

TXGSrider IBA #11007

Oddometer:
    very nice! I wonder how those would look on a black GS. Any idea what the capacity is? How about ability to keep water out of the bags?
  14. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    The outside messurements are 10*20*15 1/2 tall. The boxes on the bike outside meassure 39 inches wide. On the inside lid of one of them I cut a panel and fitted a door for small stuff. It was a pain to cut due to being stainless steel. I used up a 20 pack of dremel cutoff wheels. Finding a latch to keep it closed was the biggest challenge. I don't like the slide bolts I used, but couldn't find anything better.
  15. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Yes they seem to be water proof. I glued the gasket onto the gasket surface with silicon adheasive. You can do all sorts of things to the lids for more storage, just keep about one inch around the outside for gasket surface. I don't like wasting the space in the lid, but didn't feel like messing with the second one.
    John
  16. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you keep the inner casing in the container, it will keep the ice a bit longer then other bags and the beer colder for longer. :1drink

I think I paid a dollar a piece for my containers. Not necessarily in the greatest condition but I bought about 12 of them.

Painted them all up with pretty pictures and put kid type stuff in them.

Used the individual containers in the shop for multiple purposes just like the chopperman would have. Well, I might not have come up with as many uses but I did use them. :drums
  17. AndrewH

AndrewH Hare its whats for dinner

Oddometer:
    Humidor!!!
  18. osii

osii Disgruntled Time Traveler

Oddometer:
    . . . . . to a gs1100??

I have jesse's now, but after a couple of hard tours on them, I'm pretty much done with them. I may patch them up and sell them in the flea market for $500.

I see there is a GIVI mount available on happy trails for about $130US.

I would like something that has a piece running across the back and a little more stable than the Jesse mounting system (and lighter!).

Mike
  19. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cant find these merimite cans anywhere (well I found one place but there were out of business). Are the called something else too?

Does anyone have a link or a phone number for a supplier?
    Id really like a pair of these cans
  20. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes" Supporter

Oddometer:
    google surplus suppliers

or ebay search results here