AltRider's Hoh Rainforest Ride 2014, August 22-24, 2014

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Maddaddy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
  2. eff naked teeth

eff naked teeth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going and looking forward to it. I signed up for the PSSOR course on Friday since I new to this stuff, but I'm really looking forward to it. :happay
  3. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going!
  4. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Which bike are you bringing? 650 or DR?

650 will be fun, 400 will be FUNNER. and you will have a better learning experience.
  5. eff naked teeth

Oddometer:
    I was planning on the the DL650 as I know its 100% ready and should get me there and home and I have all the luggage. I just got a Wolfman rack with expedition bags from another inmate for the DR, so I could probably swing the DR, though I would prefer to have a tail rack and a tank bag. I'm still debating. I also don't know if the range of the DR will be good enough for the planned routes since they have not been released.
  6. SOP Dirt-Rider

SOP Dirt-Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be there:deal Heck, I may even be da guy running the class:wink::wink: Looking forward to meeting some new folks and seeing some old friends. Heck, if all else fails I know for sure the grub is first rate:1drink

This year we will be at Lake Cushman, the place I grew up riding, bummer is all the power lines are blocked off:cry
  7. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Less is more. Tank bag = Balls basher.

First lesson - complete.

All routes should be able to accommodate smaller bikes. Especially the easier ones.

All you will need for this rally is a tent, sleeping bag, chair (Stool or something sit on) tire repair and tools. Don't bring food or cooking stuff, or any other goofy stuff. You won't need it.

I have a 650 and a 250. bringing the 250...
    [​IMG]
  8. eff naked teeth

Oddometer:
    I guess I'll give the DR a good once over and get it ready. Thanks!
  9. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    I only say this because I think your learning experience will be better on the smaller bike.
  10. Wicket009

Wicket009 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wife and I are both going. Our anniversary so I have to take her with :deal

We will be taking the class and looking forward to a weekend with no kids :D
  11. MoxieGirl

MoxieGirl Wannabe Adventuring

Oddometer:
    I have attended the last two years and it is a fun event. I will be there with Ride West BMW, stop by the booth and say hi when I am not out riding. :ricky

Tracy
  12. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    Whadaya mean, "No Kids"? Must be your first rally:evil FWIW, I'll be there with the misses as well. We'll be doing some 2 up trail work for sure.
  13. Ratty2austin

Ratty2austin commutercycle

Oddometer:
    I have been on this ride, a few years back! It was fun, wish I could go again... but work has got me scheduled to be... well, working- and with no escape- during that weekend :bluduh

have fun everyone! :wave

maybe I will see ya on the next ride...
  14. henkew

henkew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm signed up, planning on bringing my XC. After seeing the comments about 650's and 400's I'm wondering if that's the best idea. I have an old NX250 but I'd rather come down on the bigger bike....
  15. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Tiger is fine. This is big bike friendly and focused.

New rider above has a 650 and a 400. Learning off-road riding is better on a smaller bike. Beside the DR400 is a real Adventure Bike. Just doesn't get the credit due here in America.

It would be nicer to see more small displacement bike being used for their true potential. The whole ADV mentality of overkill really drives the market here.
  16. SOP Dirt-Rider

Oddometer:
    XC will be an awesome bike!! Looking forward to meeting you :D

To Gregs point, smaller, lighter equals less energy to ride which results in more enjoyment for the rider. I am as guilty as most in that I tend to pack more than I need. A smaller bike would force me in packing less. Learning technique is enhanced when a rider isn't being overwhelmed on a larger bike. The technique transfers to the larger bike once the rider has become comfortable on the smaller bike. If a person is comfortable on the larger bike I would recommend using it as that is probably the bike they will be riding most often. It has been said that riding is %90 mental and %10 physical. I agree, getting past what lays between our ears is %90 of the battle:deal
  17. HH

HH Dahlonega GA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a deadline for sign up?
  18. eff naked teeth

Oddometer:
    Don't think so, check that link in the first post.
  19. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but I think they do have a limit in participants.
  20. eff naked teeth

Oddometer:
    Changed the coolant and brake fluid this weekend, check the oil, and cleaned and lubed the chain. Don't like the way the rear brake feels, so I'll try to bleed it some more, maybe try the reverse bleed thing. Also added hand guards and case savers. I'll leave the tires, but will likely be the last ride for the rear. Looking forward to this!:p3rry