Rode the new BMW K1600 GTL today. My thoughts follow...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by tjhess74, May 26, 2011.

1. tjhess74

tjhess74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our local BMW dealer just got in a K1600 GTL demo bike. Apparently BMW is sending demo bikes before the ones that customers have ordered. I was able to spend good time in the saddle and as a result I was able to form some immediate opinions and was able to sit and think about others. This machine holds true to the German methodology of engineering...'If you don't need a gadget, we will design one for you anyway!'

Upon the initial viewing, it has a very 'K1200LT' look to it. I like BMW styling, so I found it to my liking. Color scheme and overall design is unmistakable in that aspect. Upon sitting on the bike, some things struck me immediately; You sit IN this bike, not on it. The seat height is very low (almost too low for my long legs). This bike feels like a K1200LT from the saddle. The long pullback on the handlebars and overall cockpit design gave me that familiar feel. Speaking of the cockpit, it is very forward from the riders position. I have long arms and its a stretch to reach forward (not that you really need too). The instrument panel is very well layed out and clear, even in bright sun. Im 6' tall and the windshield in the lowest position is just below eye level. When setting up from the sidestand, this bike is top HEAVY! Perhaps I should have expected it, but that 7 gallon tank up top really adds to the heft. Initially, I was concerned how it would handle at low speeds and how difficult centerstand application would be. Placing this bike on the centerstand was amazingly easy! You could do it barefoot with one hand (if you dont have sensitive feet).

I played with some of the plastic panels and tried to get a sense of how they all come together. I was a bit dismayed by the flimsiness of some of the trim pieces and i question how long they will last . I think 'cheap feeling' is a good way to describe it, but there has been alot of that on expensive motorcycles recently.

There is plenty of storage. There is a dry storage pocket by your left shin,
    and an iPod docking station by your right shin. The three saddlebags were a little disappointing in there internal volume however. The two side bags have many protrusions that limit the size, but my helmet did fit...barely. The top case is beautiful inside (really, beautiful?!). It is very well lit and lined with a carpet mat and side liners. It is wide, but not very deep. A nice thing is that it is removable, unlike the Goldwing. All locks are both key usable and remotely controlled, as is the security system.

Upon turning the key, the bikes dashboard comes to life. Like the Goldwing, the display greets you with some graphics...a '6' (BMW's symbol for this engine). I played with the menu/toggle system and found it to be very user friendly and straightforward. All other controls are standard (turn signals are the standard left/right button). All suspension and performance settings are easily controlled using the Mode/Toggle controls and the settings are brightly displayed on the screen.

Here is where I really made an obvious cringe and was shocked by something I didnt expect...hitting the starter button resulted in a sound I can only describe as starting a 1981 Chevy Suburban...not just any Suburban, but the old 6.5 liter diesel one. The starting of the engine is a huge turn off and is not in anyway a pleasant sound. But, once the starter is laid to rest, the engine comes to life...and all is pleasant again. If I had to use one word to describe this bike, it would be 'SMOOTH'. No, seriously, it feels frictionless. Ive never felt a bike so butter smooth when running. It also has a great exhaust note...aggressive yet restrained.

It is now time to go for a ride. The throttle is extremely sensitive...twitchy sensitive compared to what Im used to (and people say the Concours 14 throttle is sensitive!!!). The clutch friction zone engages almost immediatly after letting it out, but I got used to the combination rather quickly. Low speed handling was rather impressive (once you get used to the throttle and clutch). The second it moves, the top heaviness disappears. She also has a great turning radius! Low speed tight turns felt very comfortable. Upon hitting the main roads, I felt the power was very adequate, especially for a bike this large. Let me emphasize how SMOOTH this engine is all the way through the rev range...butter, I tell ya! Initial acceleration is slightly 'boggy', but after that brief second it starts to pull confidently. Something else hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as I started finding other gears...the gear box sucks. There is more driveline 'slop' and clunking noise when accel/decelling than Ive ever heard on a bike before. Combine that with the twitchiness of the throttle and it is a caucophony of clashing metal. Also, shifting gears will draw attention from those around you, it is very loud. I was extremely disappointed with the drivetrain. The clutch has a 'pulse' in it that neither I nor the salesman could find a reason for. It feels just like the pedal pulse from an activated ABS system, and is more pronounced on gentle downshifting. I didnt think anything was wrong with it, Ive just never felt a clutch pulse repeatedly like this.

Handling was a bit disappointing too. The heavy feel returns when you reach 45mph or so. You really need to muscle the bike around, especially in emergency left/right maneuvers. The best way I can describe the handling is 'soft and spongy' despite the suspension setting being on sport, its tightest setting. At these speeds also, there is quite a bit of buffeting off of the windscreen. Raise the screen and calmness returns (but its too damn high and so far forward you cant even reach it!).

On the interstate, the bike was expectedly smooth, but seemed to wander in the lane and was subject to being bounced around by the windblast of other vehicles. For a bike of this size, it didn't feel planted in its track. Low screen buffeting on the interstate was distracting.

Something else began to annoy me after about 20 minutes...the 'buzz' of the engine (not the exhaust). It has a high pitched whine very similar to an electrical interference from a car stereo that goes along with the engines rpm's. I was having trouble ignoring it.

As with any bike, it takes time to get used to a new one. One thing that I was having trouble with was getting my thumb past the large scrolling dial on the left grip. Being big makes it easy to use, but it also makes getting to the turn signal and horn switch awkward. The horn switch is actually buried deep in the grip design. Covering the horn button is not too easy on this machine...good luck if you have short fingers.

Today was in the mid 90's here in Charleston, but I stayed very cool on this bike. Engine heat management was excellent and the fold out side air vents were equally as effective. They delivered a great blast of air to the chest area. This is some of the best air management Ive seen on a bike.

Overall, I did like the bike. However I think there are some serious 'fit and finish/refinement' issues for being a BMW (especially a $27k one). I would expect that transmission from a Hyosung, not a BMW. If you are in the market for a large touring bike, then compared to the Goldwing (among others), this could be a very viable choice. Despite the items I didn't like, I would consider it against a Goldwing.

Here is a compact list of likes and dislikes:

+ pros
    -SMOOTH (did I mention how smooth this engine is??!!)
    -Very comfortable
    -Lots of gadgets to play with and make life easier
    -Extremely effective side air vents.
    -Good power
    -All settings adjustable on the fly
    -Removable tail trunk
    -Easy to navigate electronics package

- cons
    -TRANSMISSION. way too loose and loud
    -Clutch pulse (what is that?)
    -Electrical interference-like engine whine
    -Small mirrors
    -'Floating' sensation on the highway
    -Very sensitive throttle/clutch
    -Scroller interferes with other left hand controls
    -Some bodywork/trim is 'chincy'

Check with your local BMW shop, if they have a demo bike they need to put miles on them before it can be sold (2500 to be exact), so test rides come easy. I encourage you to feel for yourself.
  2. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    I looked at an LT last year. The size of the bags was a real turn off. A big heavy touring bike should have tons of storage. I think it was small enough to keep me away.
  3. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I'll add a couple of comments based on my 100 mile test ride and on being failry familiar with this bike.

The clutch - I have been told that what you are describing is the slipper clutch. It seems there is a detent somewhere in the mechanism that feels like a clunk or pulse of some kind. I actually didn't notice it on my ride but others have mentioned it and most (including the dealer) believe it is the slipper clutch.

The tranny - I guess it all depends upon expectations. I found the transmission to be tight, precise and heavy. It did not like clutchless upshifts which I am used to on my RT. I am also assuming that as the bike breaks in, things will smooth out. Every BMW transmission seems to do that over the first 10,000 miles and I doubt this one is the exception. Even if it doesn't, I didn't find it objectionable. It was just stiff.

The handling - Really? Well, I will strongly disagree with you here. I rode on the Blue Ridge Parkway and a number of VERY technical and twisty roads leading to and from the BRP. I was blown away by the handling. Only one other bike I have ever ridden gave more of a feeling of being an integral part of the bike and that was the S1000RR. With the GTL, it felt like all I had to do was think about where I wanted to be and how fast I wanted to be going. It was stunning how responsive it was. I loved every single moment of the twisty roads because of how well it responded to my commands.

My only complaints deal with things that are corrected on the GT. I didin't like the windscreen, the low seat, the forward position of my feet and having the bars so close to my lap. All of these will not be issues on the GT.

You didn't like the mirrors? Again, I guess its all about expectation. I loved them. Coming from an RT, I found the GTL to be stable, well positioned for riding 2-up and large enough.

Different strokes I guess.
  4. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    2 full face helmets fit in the topcase. Each side case can hold a helmet as well plus some other stuff.

I'm pretty impressed with the luggage. It's also lockable with the keyless remote, yet comes off in a couple of seconds. First of it's kind.
  5. tjhess74

tjhess74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    having received opinions from others that have ridden this bike now, it looks like most people are split 50/50 about the handling. some report what i found, others say echo your sentiments. im wondering if theres another variable? tire pressure? mine was 39 f/41 r. a guy on another forum described it as a buick lesabre with worn out struts. another guy that i respect very much and knows his stuff said he was impressed by the crispness. somethings gotta be up...

the mirrors were spaced well enough apart and were clear at all speeds. i just thought they were a bit small for a bike this size.

i agree that the gt is probably going to be the best fit for the items i didnt care for.
  6. Zerk

Zerk DILLIGAF

Oddometer:
    Straight jacket memories, and sedative highs
    Does it have a remote start too?:lol3
  7. NCGS

NCGS De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    I rode one in Raleigh last weekend. I liked it, a lot, but not enough to throw down $26-Large to take one home (not like that would happen any time soon anyway, they have 12 coming in, all but one have been pre-sold).

For what it is it's the creme-de-la-creme.. but it's almost 'too technical'. I suppose that as I've grown older I've reached the point where I'm beginning to appreciate the 'simple things in life'..

I also found it a very easy big bike to throw around. I can't imagine anyone saying the bike doesn't 'handle'. :huh
  8. e.t.

e.t. Mayor Of Oblivion

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. So far, it sounds like a K-bike. Who rides a K bike now that has ridden this?:1drink
  9. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would bet the difference is the ESA settings. I didn't mess with it in "normal" or "comfort". I left it in "sport" so I can't comment on the other two modes. I also didn't play with the preload settings (single, single with luggage or 2-up) so I don't know how that would affect my impressions. I just know it responded better than anything I've ridden short of a sport bike in the twisties.
  10. e.t.

e.t. Mayor Of Oblivion

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%. Bumpy road = comfort. Bumpy road at a faster pace =normal. All out on a smooth road =sport. The suspension has to move on these bikes no matter what. All ESA adjustments are noticeable between the three settings. I don't think someone who has never ridden an ESA bike is going to concentrate or pay attention to this on a first ride. You need a weekend of riding various roads at different speeds to play with this and appreciate it. If /when mine craps out -I will be fixing it -not shit canning it. It works.
  11. mikeyyc

mikeyyc mmmmm....capolicious

Oddometer:
    Why do you carry four helmets?
  12. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, when you guys talk about this bike being $26 or 27K, as in: "Jeez, that's a lot of money" are you *really* talking that price?

Or is that a price just thrown around, and in reality, it ends up being easily $30,000.00+ when all is said and done?

I paid (or am paying) $20,000.00 for my 2009 F800ST. (Canada)

Sure, it *sounds* good starting at $12,500.00 but with options, saddlebags, taxes, PDI fees, etc., etc., etc., the bottom line is I had to sign a loan for 18K after putting down a couple grand.

The finance rate was not absolutely hideous to me, @ 3.xx %/60 months.

I don't even wanna know how much a K1600 would cost up here:eek1

Actually, just for the heck of it, let me see...

BMW Motorrad Canada build sheet:

[​IMG]

I guess it's around what I imagined it would be. Too rich for my blood anyway. :lol3
  13. CGameProgrammer

CGameProgrammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LBS: The price for a fully loaded K1600GTL is $25800 plus $495 freight, though it goes as low as $20900 (plus freight) for a base K1600GT. With 8.75% sales tax here in California, and registration fees, it would come to something like $29500 out the door, if you pay MSRP. However it would be cheaper in pretty much every other state. And a base K1600GT, at MSRP, would be around $23700 or so in CA.
  14. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

That figure I posted above was the single one shown at Motorrad Canada site that I could see, the only option listed was: "High Seat $0.00"

It must come in only one trim level up here.
  15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    We're expecting the GT to be around $30k here, and GTL will probably be a lot
    more (that's US $$$).
  16. Mr.Goose

Mr.Goose Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer:
    there's only the one trim level here in the US, but it's the kinda bike you'd be crazy to pass up the extras on.

pricing this feature for feature against the top of the line bikes out there makes it look like a good deal.

A Ducati Diavel Carbon costs $20K
    An Electra Glide is $25K
    Goldwing etc....and none of them wear as many hats as this GTL. They're really very different but when you look at bikes in the mid 26K range like this I'm pretty impressed with whats in this BMW package.
  17. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watched a review of the GTL on Motorweek (HD Theater), the episode with the 2011 Focus review. Man, that thing sounds nice, at least on TV. I'm not sure if it's my type of bike, but damn I want to ride one and find out, just for that exhaust note. I love the look of the 6 holes in the exhaust, too.
  18. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Was it me, or was that Motorweek guy going into some dirty looking corners a little hot? :lol3
  19. Milestugeau

Milestugeau n00b

Oddometer:
    I ride a K1200LT, and rode the K1600GTL a few weeks ago. I was blown away by the new bike! The "throttle by wire" did take some getting used to - about 3 miles. After that it felt natural, but VERY responsive.

In comparison to the K1200, which I love, the K1600 seems better in every way. One of my deciding factors in getting the LT is the smoothness and stability, which I felt would would give my wife more comfort and confidence when she is aboard. What I had to sacrifice is low speed handling. The K1200 is top-heavy and has appalling manners below 5 mph. Parking lots and cities are really no fun at all. The other day I put my left foot in a pot-hole at red light. More of a depression really, just some crumbled pavement. Over she went. There is no point trying to keep a K1200 up once she has decided to lay down, all you can do is step off and watch. :cry My reason for bringing that up is that the 1600, while no lightweight, feels MUCH more manageable at low speed. The same pot-hole would not have brought us down.

The 1600 has the feel of a much lighter bike, and I am puzzled by the few complaints I read about their handling. I can't help but think someone must have let some air out of the tires or something. I really wanted to find some things to not like about it, but could not. On my 1200, It seems like I miss 2nd gear about once a week, but the 1600 seemed to almost be shifting itself. The transmission felt like butter to me. Warm butter. The suspension felt MUCH better than the K1200's, and the ability to adjust it on the fly is great. I could go on, but I'm going to shut up so I don't drive down the value of my K1200. I'm going to need to get top dollar for it...
    IdahoRenegade likes this.
  20. Arkrube

Arkrube Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the one demo model the dealer had, last week.

My complaints:

- mirrors are so small...hey, you got alot hardware attached to the rear portion of this long machine.

-forward footpegs...in being 6' tall, I found these to be not mounted anywhere to my liking.

-rear seat/front juncture/backrest...unlike my BMW Adventure, I couldn't simply slide backwards to alter the bend of my knee to gain some relief.

Loved:

-panniers
    -pannier locking feature
    -acceleration
    -adjustable windscreen
    -forward visibility
    -handling
    -suspension and ride adjustment
    -throttle settings

To buy one?...I think I will wait on retirement to ponder any more upon it...definitely, a machine designed and worthy of many long trips...after a few adjustments are made.