Two up Australians around North America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jeff the chef, Jul 2, 2013.

1. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our 11 week ride around North America starts on July 8th. Our Super Tenere has arrived in Portland by boatand is waiting to be fitted with all the new gear that I had ordered from home in South Australia. We will start by heading north to Alaska via Hyder/ Stewart and then onto Fairbanks with a stop in Haines. From Fairbanks over to Manly Hot Springs down to Denali Highway before going up to TOW Highway. Side trips will include Telegraph creek, Nabesna Road and if not too wet South Canal Road. We will then take the Campbell Highway and head east across Canada through Athabasca, Cold Lake and Meadow Lake. South after this and across Northern Minnesota to visit family in Wisconsin.

After a break we will go south hopefully through Kentucky, Tennessee and across to Hot Springs Ark. Not too sure why Hot Springs but always wanted to visit the area.

West bound will take us through Texas and New Mexico and into Arizona. Time to catch up with more old friends before going north for some ADV riding around Moab. We are hoping to see Dead Horse State Park, Goose Neck State Park and ride White Rim Road and La Sal Mountain Loop.

North we are planning to ride through Utah into Montana and Idaho with rides along the Lolo Motorway, Bannack Pass, Spiral Highway and onto Hells Canyon.

We should be running out of time by this time and will head back to Portland to load our bike back on the boat.

We are hoping to catch up with other inmates along the way. We will be posting photos along the way if i can figure out how to post attacments.

Jeffrey & Helen
  2. poolman

poolman Gnarly Poolside Adv. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great adventure! Send me a PM if you will be heading through DC.

:ricky :ricky :ricky

Safe Travels,
  3. antipode

antipode Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Aussies riding in the US... that's my kind of ride report!
    :lurk
  4. DonVulpes

DonVulpes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed :)
  5. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Subscribed.

Tenere owner in MN, well tooled. PM if you need anything.
  6. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our ride has begun, Our Tenere arrived and is now fitted out for our 11 week run. With much help from an inmate from the Hubb we set out from Portland. Took about 100 km. to get used to the way the bike will handle all the extra weight. We have OEM top and side cases along with camping gear strapped to all three. Along with the tank bag and my wife it handles some what different then I was used too. Portland to Seattle and crossed the boarder into Canada near Sumas. Short ride lots of traffic, and now will head towards Vancouver onto the Sea to Sky Highway then up to Hyder Alaska. Hopefully pictures will follow on the next update. Any one else in the area hit us up and share a cold Canadian ale.
  7. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our next part of the trip north was west of Vancouver and up the Sea to Sky Highwayu. Great road with lots of twisties to sort out the handling issues of riding two up on a fully loaded Super Tenere. Only problem was the limited speed limits in this part of Canada.
    Next two days heading north was a complete change of weather with temperatures below 50f with lots of rain, strong winds and hail. Ride days were cut short due to weather and my wife's discomfort in the cold.
    Next stop will be Hyder Alaska in a few days with some off road riding along the way.
    Fairbanks and beyond will be after that.
  8. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Pics.......

We will follow along in about 2 weeks. Coming up from central mid Flatistan so you'll probably be on the return run.

Did I mention....PICS.

Glad you've mentioned the cold. We are starting to sort for trip and couple coming from Oz
    Need to pack the right stuff.

Meant to ask, how much did the bike shipping cost each way?
  9. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rRNAQUOTE=Trail bandit;21855232]Pics.......

We will follow along in about 2 weeks. Coming up from central mid Flatistan so you'll probably be on the return run.

Did I mention....PICS.

Glad you've mentioned the cold. We are starting to sort for trip and couple coming from Oz
    Need to pack the right stuff.

Meant to ask, how much did the bike shipping cost each way?[/QUOTE]

To start with the shipping cost $3100 round trip sydney to portland. I used a company called "Get Routed" and they delivered on time though a few anxious moments so not sure if I would use them again. Last time I crated and shipped myself and would not recomend that either.

Glad we brought the right gear for the weather, good quality thermals kept has kept me warm with out the bulk. I have a one piece rain suit that is hard to get on and off but has really kept me dry through some very heavy down pours.

Pics...... How does one post them? I have tried but no luck hoping for some advise.

Have a great trip, in two weeks we will be leaving the fairbanks area, let us know which way you will be going up.
  10. Trail bandit

Trail bandit Random adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flatistan Nebraska and Melbourne, Australia
    Cold.. Yes, I did Iceland riding in freezing conditions without getting cold. Had lots of layers. Just heard today about how good those heated vests are as well!

Yes, will keep following and send you a pm to thread I start for trip. Could meet somewhere. Never know. Thanks for shipping info. Sort of makes me happy to be on long term visa here with USA license.

Pics. Here is one from a group ride we did today. Guy on tractor was particularly slow and we won't invite him again.

So, have a smug mug or photobucket etc account. You load your pics up to them. The HTML code is already done for you. See this pic. If I make it as follows

https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-p...ilbandit_f51310350045d62ba33c27df4cc15ba6.jpg

It won't do anything. It needs the [​IMG]

Same as the quote tag missing in part of your post reply. Takes a while to learn but no big deal... Tip....use preview post then have a look and modify and mess with it until it works. Example the quote for somebody's post looks just like the above IMG but QUOTE is used It won't do anything.

[QUOTE ] Then at end [/QUOTE ]

Pic below is a screen shot of my photobucket. Just before I copy the image choice out of all those. Then paste it in here.

[​IMG]
  11. jeff the chef

jeff the chef Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are now in Hyder Alaska and enjoying some off road riding with the help of some local knowledge.

Our ride to Hyder/Stewert was great with good roads, lots of curves, very little traffic, snow topped mountains on either side, bears and finally some warm sunny weather.

Had some good dirt riding out side of Smithers B.C. Had to stop for some work on my brakes and the owner of EYE CANDY CUTOMS BIKES cut short his lunch break to find the fault and fix them in 30 minutes. He then suggested some great local roads out side of smithers that would suit the Tenere. He then offered beers and barbecue after he closed for the day. Great business and I owe a lot to him for getting me back on the road so quickly on a Saturday afternoon.

We are off to Whitehorse in the morning with fairbanks in the next week.

Hope to catch up with others along the way:clap