So, the Subaru dealer called me tonight... (BRZ thread)

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by cogitate, Jan 10, 2013.

1. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    Yabbut what lap times does your Boxster run at Summit Point or VIR?:ear Please don't tell us you've only done parking lot circle jerks.:D
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I know this wasn't meant to be a Subaru vs Porsche thread, but really - who cares what is better on a track? I smoked 150 + hp motorcycles at Mid-Ohio while riding a 53 HP Husky 610 SM. Conversely, when I used to track a 2005 R6 I got smoked by someone on an SV-650. The car doesn't really matter as much in those environments as does the operator.

I owned a 2006 WRX. While mine was a bad example that got repurchased, I know they are good cars. The current generation is that much better. But I don't aspire to own one. I very much aspire to own a Boxter one day. Believe it or not, there may come a day when I sell the yellow beast I currently own with twice the horsepower of a current gen Boxter S to get so much slower of a car. Some may not understand why I would or sell something that was somewhat limited in production for a "run of the mill" Porsche that will certainly never be worth anything. I just happen to think it's a great overall package. I'd like to have one some day. The WRX - while a fantastic car in it's own right - to me felt like the equivalent of owning a metric cruiser in lieu of a Harley. It did everything it was supposed to and was quite competent, but it lacked excitement and did not provide the look, feel, and sound I wanted.

Of course I may be a bit biased - I grew up with the growl of a flat 6 and the smell of horsehair padded seats, and later worked for them for a few years :D
  3. falconati

falconati baller

Oddometer:
    Mind if I ask what you have now?
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    2008 Shelby GT500
  5. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Full(of himself)Monte - that's right, only parking lot circle jerks with my gay hairdresser Boxster driving friends and a few other girls.

The Spec Boxster class (these are lightly modified 2.5 liter Boxsters of the oldest, slowest variety) lap record at VIR is 2:16.5 Please let us know where we can see your lap times that are quicker than that in any car. I assume by your attitude you have been there and done that.
  6. fullmonte

Oddometer:
    Oops, must've touched a nerve.:rofl I drove about 3500 miles at different tracks in the mid 1990s in a 90hp '86 Civic si with over 100k miles on the odo. It never broke, unlike some exotica that did in spectacular fashion. In my late 20's I got into motorcycles and realized track days were much more fun (everything happens faster)on sport bikes than in cars.:deal I would love to take a BRZ for a session around Road Atlanta or Barber. Finally, a proper sportscar that's reasonably priced.
  7. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    So Monty, please post your lap times vs. spec boxster record at any track you have been to w/ car or bike. I am genuinely interested.

Just as a data point, I bought my boxster for $15k 4 years ago. It had 40k miles then and has 64k miles now. It's had oil changes, spark plugs, a rear main seal and some farkles. Very reasonable cost-to-own.
  8. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    I rode in a supercharged Miata with R spec tires at one of the "high speed" autocrosses they hold at a local airport - 1.3 mile run. It was the quickest autox car I've ever been in. He had a little trailer and drove it to events with his tires on the trailer.

But FTD was an Ariel Atom.....

Ever tried one? Ever done a motorcycle track day? Just curious what your background is.
  9. fullmonte

Oddometer:
    The 90hp shitbox Civic hatch would run 1:42s at Summit Point on take off Bridgestone street tires I bought used. When you're fresh out of college and just starting out, you get by with whatever you can afford to feed the track addiction. By the time Harvey Siegel resurrected VIR (spring of 2000),I had lost interest in cars and gotten into sport bikes. The wife clocked me on the RC51 at 2:17 at VIR on a crowded full course at a Cornerspeed track day. The AMA and WERA expert guys left me for dead though. Following Lee Acree was a real eye opener :bow. Good for you on the positive Boxster ownership experience.:freaky You ought to do some track days with it if they will allow convertibles without a race spec roll bar. Back to the BRZ discussion.
  10. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:

still love my car. I have not really been paying attention to break in, just driving it at various rpm to seat the rings. No long highway slogs, only once did I get it close to redline. I was racing a Boxster :loll

Just kidding.
  11. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Nice looking car.

-John
  12. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

So...based on your experiences in a slow, FWD hatchback, you've decided motorcycles are more fun on the track? :bow
  13. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    Walking into work tonight saw a Blue Suby in the garage. I haven't had the chance to view them up close till now. Have to say you bought a nice looking vehicle. :thumb
  14. cogitate

Oddometer:

:queenie
    thank you, kind sir.

Just filled up the tank, not exactly taking it easy, not redlining either :loll, and got 27.6 mpg first tank.

I do not like the touch sound system. I like tactile buttons. My only complaint thus far :deal

Oh, and the motor at idle sounds like an Impreza. Sounds much better when I get on it.

Only other issue: my dog REFUSES to get in the new car. I think I mentioned it before, he got in the first few days, then Saturday we went down the trail and took my old car, HIS car. Since then, he won't set foot in the new car. Not even with treats. To be fair, he refuses to get in anybody else's car either, but I figured he got in my car because of me. Well, he lets me drive off without him, although he is quite bummed when I get back. Where is Cesar Milan when you need him?
  15. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Surprising. My dogs love going places so much they wouldn't refuse a ride in anything. Two of them used to ride in my old sidecar rig.

Keep at it, he'll get used to the new ride.
  16. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Damn. It was wet out tonight, and I figured I would take the BRZ out and see what the traction control was all about.

Ummmm, I still don't know! There are two buttons, one is VSC Sport, which can go on and off, recommended to have on when you ride on "curvy" roads. This I can pop on and off as I drive. There is a TRAC button, which I can only shut off when the car is not in motion. This prevents wheel spin, so you shut it off if you are stuck in snow so you can get some momentum.

Still lost on me, never had a car with stability controls. Anybody have any ideas?

Lots of curves tonight, down half a tank since the last fill up, at 29.8 mpg. Better than last tank.
  17. Jeffy

Jeffy Hmm...

Oddometer:
    :wink:
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dj7WIlliwgQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. cogitate

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video! I think i understand. Ummmm, need to go drive now:wink:
  19. cogitate

Oddometer:
    So about 600 miles on the car now, it seems to be loosening up a bit! The fifth to six shift is smoother, actually, all the gears. Just filled up my second tank, got 30.3 mpg. Mix of mountainy curvy roads and freeway, mostly keeping it around 4k in rpm until 1000 miles.

I find that when the VSC sport mode is engaged, the back end feels, more playful, if you will. It seem subtle, like at the apex of a turn if I crank the wheel a bit I can get oversteer. With the normal VSC mode, the car just stays planted like a slot car. Thats fun too!

I also have a free three month subscription to XM radio. At first I didn't care for it. Now I am pretty hooked on it. :eek1

Another 15 bucks a month, I guess.
  20. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    That price is negotiable if you call. ;). We've never paid more than $77/yr, currently on $25/6months.